British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
alan_boon

Poland & Sweden

Can anybody explain to me, in simple terms, why Poland & Sweden get two Grands Prix every year?

Maybe they want to run two, and have the federations help to do it.

Because they are two of the most supported nations and their stadiums are smaller.

Because they are two of the most supported nations and their stadiums are smaller.

That makes no sense - so if Denmark didn't have Parken or we didn't have the Millennium, we could have two as well? Surely it just gives an advantage to riders who prefer the bigger tracks of Poland and eastern Europe, although it doesn't seem to help Swedes much.

That makes no sense - so if Denmark didn't have Parken or we didn't have the Millennium, we could have two as well? Surely it just gives an advantage to riders who prefer the bigger tracks of Poland and eastern Europe, although it doesn't seem to help Swedes much.

Where in Britain would you run another GP, Coventry was used before but the crowds were quite small compared to European venues. If the ACU asked for the European GP as well as the British GP you may get two, but if they don't ask they can't expect to be given more.

Most of the GP riders ride in the Swedish and Polish league so there's less home track advantage than is assumed.

The schedule is for financial reasons not rider advantage, if IMG think it would benefit them to run in Russia next year instead of Sweden they will go there.

Can anybody explain to me, in simple terms, why Poland & Sweden get two Grands Prix every year?

Rumour has it that it was some contractual agreement from when BSI took over the SGP. We can speculate why this might be the case, but 'smoothing the waters' may have had something to do with it.

if IMG think it would benefit them to run in Russia next year instead of Sweden they will go there.

Organising events in Russia is a nightmare. Every last official sticks their hand-out for sort of payoff, otherwise important stuff tends to get 'delayed', or people take inopportune 'holidays'.

Not Denmark but yes if we didn't have Cardiff think there would be a good chance of us having two.

Not Denmark but yes if we didn't have Cardiff think there would be a good chance of us having two.

Dont think so. Poland and sweden pay far more for the right to stage the g.p. than the uk would.

I'd rather ask the question why GB gets one Grand Prix only?

It would seem to me that a better way would be:

1 GP every year - Poland, Sweden, GB, Denmark

plus 1 GP every four years - Poland, Sweden, GB, Denmark

1 GP every other year - Czech Republic, Germany

1 GP every three years - Italy, Russia, Slovenia

1 GP every four years - Finland, Latvia, Austria, Norway

That's only 8, I realise!

I think a lot of it is to do with the cost of staging the GP's in the larger national stadiums.

For example if there are 2 GP's in the UK it may well result in a lower crowd at Cardiff as people may wait for a GP closer to home. Certainly if there was a second GP in the UK it minimises the impact of Cardiff. I imagine the same applies to Copenhagen as well.

Where in Britain would you run another GP, Coventry was used before but the crowds were quite small compared to European venues. If the ACU asked for the European GP as well as the British GP you may get two, but if they don't ask they can't expect to be given more.

Most of the GP riders ride in the Swedish and Polish league so there's less home track advantage than is assumed.

The schedule is for financial reasons not rider advantage, if IMG think it would benefit them to run in Russia next year instead of Sweden they will go there.

wembley? or is it to big?

Because if had two in the uk nicholls and harris would finish in the top eight every year and the poles would have no one quite simple really .

Because if had two in the uk nicholls and harris would finish in the top eight  every year  and the poles would have no one quite simple really .

..maybe. Otherwise they have to beg Brits governing SGP to give them wild cards each year.