British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummie Boy

The Final Gp Wildcard Spot Goes To........

The reason for the crap tracks Steve is the way that bloody cute fluffy bunny Olsen prepares them.When was the last time there was a bad GP at Bydgoszcz,answer,there hasn't been
I don't blame Olsen, because I know a little more about how it works.

Plus many tracks work best when slick, so just saying that slick=boring is wrong nowadays. Many riders can't handle grip. Look at the Poles...most of the new generation have come through their speedway schooling doing many miles of riding round and round on flat tracks getting slicker and drier. Now they use sand instead of shale as a top surface, because they simply have no idea how to ride well on grippy tracks.

Even Wrocław, the last remaining 'deep' Polish track has changed tactic.

Don't keep reading this expecting reasons and answers, I don't have them, I just think it's a bit cheap and easy blaming Olsen all the time, without knowing the full facts behind what goes on at every venue. If I had to start on some solution I'd say a better choice of tracks would be a good start, but there's so much politics involved with that one.

By the way, two good GP's at Bydgoszcz in the last 5 years ! And I'm talking purely from a racing angle. Ultimately, speedway is for the people trackside and most enjoy Bydgoszcz whatever the racing's like.

But as they're trying to appeal to a mass audience, then making the racing better should surely be the first prerogative. Not bigger stadia, bigger prizes, bigger sponsorship, bigger profit...but that's how it is :neutral:

I don't blame Olsen, because I know a little more about how it works.

Don't keep reading this expecting reasons and answers, I don't have them, I just think it's a bit cheap and easy blaming Olsen all the time, without knowing the full facts behind what goes on at every venue. If I had to start on some solution I'd say a better choice of tracks would be a good start, but there's so much politics involved with that one.

By the way, two good GP's at Bydgoszcz in the last 5 years ! And I'm talking purely from a racing angle. Ultimately, speedway is for the people trackside and most enjoy Bydgoszcz whatever the racing's like.

But as they're trying to appeal to a mass audience, then making the racing better should surely be the first prerogative. Not bigger stadia, bigger prizes, bigger sponsorship, bigger profit...but that's how it is  :neutral:

Tend to agree Steve.

I must say(and i add i am not a great tv speedway enthusiast)i watched a number of Polish meetings online this year.The large majority were crap.Most,i couldn't make it through till the end.I just turned off.Olsen had nothing to do with the preparation at these meetings.The idea that all Polish speedway meetings are one great heat after another is an urban myth.

Things is i feel though.GPs are half a speedway event and half a piss up.Same way as it was when i went to Teterow for the Bergring grasstrack.People are there as much for the whole weekend festival whatever they can get up to on the campsite as the racing.

Things is i feel though.GPs are half a speedway event and half a piss up.Same way as it was when i went to Teterow for the Bergring grasstrack.People are there as much for the whole weekend festival whatever they can get up to on the campsite as the racing.

Oh of course I agree...as I said, I've always known the sport (at any level) is for those who are at the track, before anyone else. And it then means that every meeting is exactly what you make it... B)

But for once I'm trying to see it from the armchair (even though, like you, that's not a place I sit in very often).

:)

Meanwhile...just to recap for anyone hoping to follow the thread :P ...the 4 wildcards for next year's series are Jonsson, Harris, Lindgren and Kasprzak :D

OK so here are my thoughts on next year's competitors

1)Nicki Pedersen. A fully deserved champion this year.He has been focused from day 1 just as Jason & Tony we're previously.Will have to keep up that momentum next year as there will be at least 3 very strong contenders for his title.

2)Leigh Adams A consummate professional & in any other year could well have took the title.It'll be great to see Leigh do at least a few more years,who knows he may just reach his ultimate goal.

3)Jason Crump.By his own admittance this has not been an A1 year for the guy in the GP's. Be assured though he will be better & stronger in 2008 & gunning to get his title back.

4)Tomasz Gollob. Alot of people,myself included thought we'd seen the best of this guy.This year he has proved many wrong & he's back up there with the best.Tomasz has answered alot of questions, but a few still remain.

5)Hans Andersen.Hans wiil definetly be disappointed by 2007 cos he stated with much arrogance at the beginning of the year that he was in it for 1 thing only.Yes, injury has curtailed him a bit but Hans needs to lighten up on the attitude cos without it his talent wiil come to the fore.A definite contender in 2008.

6)Greg Hancock. Geez,what an enigma Greg has been this year.He has only really come to the fore on the temp tracks & for that he has suffered.A new focus is needed in 2008.

7)Rune Holta.I hold my hands up & say i didn't give Rune much of a chance this year so i take my hat off to the guy.2008 will be a year to prove it was no fluke.

8)Scott Nicholls. So Scotty finally get's back in by right,as he was in 2003.No-one can deny that Scott is a battler & he's fought back from that horrific smash at the start of the year.We can all have veiws on what occured in the race-off but it's all turned out for the good of British interest in the end.As with Greg,Scott neeeds to re-focus.

9)Neils-Kristian Iversen.A hell of alot of improvement on 2006 is needed.I wasn't really surprised Neils qualified at Vojens but he may be just 1 of the also-rans next year.

10)Lukas Dryml Ahem, no comment :o

11)Bjarne Pedersen.Has let himself down in the GP's this year.There's no doubting his talent & he has the ability to be in the world's top 3.THe guy just needs to put that into results.

12)Andreas Jonsson.AJ's 2007 campaign has been curtailed by injury yet he still got himself up there within 2pts of automatic qualification.2008 will see him as a strong contender.

13)Freddie Lindgren.Freddie's wild-card showings we're superb this year & he fully deserves his nomination.Putting those into results in 2008 will see him in the top8.Simple eh! :wink:

14)Chris Harris.Chris has been a breath of fresh air to the series this year but since his win at Cardiff has dipped in form & focus.The 5 point thing must be ditched in 2008 if he is to avoid being put in a similar position in the final round again.I do believe Chris can be Britain's next World Champion,but not just yet.

15)Krysztof Kasprszak.Not surprised KK got the nod ahead of Hampel.I have the same veiw on this guy as i do Lindgren,but just to add what will his inclusion mean for the EL.

Agree with you pretty much Colin apart from Hans.

Hans is the slowest GP rider ever! Once he gets his bikes sorted he will be flying. Nicki Pedersen watch out B)