British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JanusMillard

Speedway World Cup 2008

Obviously the FIM didnt read about me complaining about this before.

Instead of holding at the big nations tracks, lets make it fair and hold it at a neutral venue. :angry:

Instead of holding at the big nations tracks, lets make it fair and hold it at a neutral venue. :angry:

Yeah. Let's have the Final in Britain :D

Denmak has the advantage of having Ole Olsen doing all he can FOR HIS country! Unfortunately speedway is suffering from it. I remember the last time the SWC Finals were held in Denmark it was a huge disappointment compared to Poland the year before, especially the poor attendances and total lack of atmosphere and excitement for the early rounds. 

Sweden is long overdue to get the World Cup Finals, and knowing the quality of the swedish speedway tracks, this would be the best thing for the SWC !

i remember in 2005 when one of the Swc semi final was held at Smedstadion very good racing and very cheap tickets but only around 5000 spectators. I think the swedish clubs knows that the costs for a swc arrangement is a bit too much compared to how much they get from it.

BSI/IMG is not interested in this since it wont generate enough income for them.

Edited by Ghostwalker

BSI/IMG is not interested in this since it wont generate enough income for them.

It isn't just BSI/IMG though.Look at most of the big competitions and there are riders or in the case of the Junior team comp a team seeded into the final.The U21 World Final the other year for instance in Austria.Fritz Wallner gets eliminated,but still rides as a wildcard in the final.Practically the only competition where the host nation isn't assured of participation in the final is the SWC,i think :unsure:

From what I've heard, Pardubice in the Czech Republic would be an ideal venue for the race-off and final - few complain about the racing at Pardubice, although I don't suppose the golem Olsen has been let loose to prepare the track previously.

Practically the only competition where the host nation isn't assured of participation in the final is the SWC,i think

Maybe the format needs a revamp.

What about holding two 16-heat Semi-Finals as a double-header at one venue, with the Race-Off and Final being held as a double-header at another? The host nation of the Race-Off/Final meeting could be seeded-through to at least the Race-Off if they failed to qualify, and it would guarantee home participation in each meeting.

In the meantime though, rather than the authorities focusing on making one team competition successful, they've come-up with yet another daft team competition to go with the prestigious European Pairs and World Team Longtrack titles. This time, the European U19 Team Cup. :rolleyes:

Edited by Kevin Meynell

Or because no-one else was interested in staging it.

Possibly, but Polish tracks seem to fall over themselves to host these events, so you've got to fancy one of them would've had a go. And another good chance of a Polish win is another incentive.

I don't understand all the negativity about Ole Olsen. He makes good and bad tracks, just like any other person could do. the track in Copenhagen was the best I've seen for long time. Cardiff was great! Vojens wasn't the best track, I agree, but I've seen worse tracks. who remember Nya Ullevi? the mud bath... race off in Reading 2006? there are good and bad tracks, and the riders seem to accept it.

I'm happy that the race off and final are held in DK, as I am Danish, but I have also said on Danish forums that the race off and final should be held on neutral venue. no help from audience.

an alternative: the whole world cup: round 1-2, race off and final could be held in the same country, on the same or different venues.

how many would go to race off and final if it's held in Latvia, Hungary, Slovenia, Norway or Austria? Nations that possibly won't reach either round 1-2 or race off. the money, the interest and the audience are in Denmark, Sweden, GB and Poland. I suppose Australia is to far away for SWC.

Denmark is a strong nation, but speedway is not as popular in DK as in Sweden or Poland, which is a shame because the tracks in DK are suffering from it. We have a world champ now, we won SWC last year, but still the tracks remain in poor condition. But there's no money in speedway, according to the moneymen, and why spending money on a sport that doesn't reach the whole nation?

So, I'm glad that I next year get the chance to see speedway live more than one time(Parken), however; when it's said then I still think the SWC should be held in another country, not because I don't want SWC to be held in DK, but because as long as the money isn't there to create good tracks, then it shouldn't be held in DK at all. hard words from a Danish speedway fanatic!

Edited by Benedicte

Denmak has the advantage of having Ole Olsen doing all he can FOR HIS country! Unfortunately speedway is suffering from it. I remember the last time the SWC Finals were held in Denmark it was a huge disappointment compared to Poland the year before, especially the poor attendances and total lack of atmosphere and excitement for the early rounds. 

Sweden is long overdue to get the World Cup Finals, and knowing the quality of the swedish speedway tracks, this would be the best thing for the SWC !

Ask Nicki if he thinks Ole is doing everything for his country. Nicki was pretty close to get a suspension because he accused Ole for always being rough against the danes comparing the other teams.