British Speedway Forum
Sajenkin

Halifax Dukes Riders Of The Past

Ok guys

I was at a recent meeting of folk who are desperate to see the return of speedway to Halifax or Bradford, and was reminiscing about the old days at the Shay.

I recalled a rider that failed to turn up for a second season after a promising debut, the reason being that he had broken his arm in a hang gliding incident.

Any ideas who it was? At first I thought it was a favourite of mine, Tormod Langli, but was quickly disabused of that particular misconception! I know he was my kind of rider - the no-nonsense type, no respecter of reputations.

Ok guys

I was at a recent meeting of folk who are desperate to see the return of speedway to Halifax or Bradford, and was reminiscing about the old days at the Shay.

I recalled a rider that failed to turn up for a second season after a promising debut, the reason being that he had broken his arm in a hang gliding incident.

Any ideas who it was?  At first I thought it was a favourite of mine, Tormod Langli, but was quickly disabused of that particular misconception!  I know he was my kind of rider - the no-nonsense type, no respecter of reputations.

Tormod did break his arm handgliding.

It was definitely Tormod Langli who broke his arm just before the Easter Monday match at the Shay with Belle Vue. Think the year might have been 1980. It was his second season with us after joining from Bristol.

It was definitely Tormod Langli who broke his arm just before the Easter Monday match at the Shay with Belle Vue. Think the year might have been 1980. It was his second season with us after joining from Bristol.

Yes Tormod start at Bristol 77 and 78, when Bristol closed he went to Halifax for the 79 season, and how some success with the Dukes.

I believe that Halifax sacked him when he broke his home, and as far as I am aware .

Yes Tormod start at Bristol 77 and 78, when Bristol closed he went to Halifax for the 79 season, and how some success with the Dukes.

I believe that Halifax sacked him when he broke his home, and as far as I am aware .

had his debut season with newport in 1976,and when that team moved en-bloc to bristol he went with them and along with gresham frightened a lot of riders around that eastville track.

had his debut season with newport in 1976,and when that team moved en-bloc to bristol he went with them and along with gresham frightened a lot of riders around that eastville track.

Remember them both, they were really tough nut riders who rode hard.

A bit unfair in my opinion, surely if he came from a broken home he should have been given some sympathy and help !!!!! :wink:

Edited by NOBBY

One of my all time fav's...

Langli and Gresham were the best pairing i ever witnessed. Not the best riders...but the most exciting as a pair.

http://speedwayondisc.blogspot.com/2011/07/speedway-stars-tormod-langli.html

Shame he retired after breaking his arm. Hard as nails.

In fact when you look at the Bulldogs team of 78, on paper it was won of the hardest set of riders you could ever have. Great memories.

One of my all time fav's...

Langli and Gresham were the best pairing i ever witnessed. Not the best riders...but the most exciting as a pair.

http://speedwayondisc.blogspot.com/2011/07/speedway-stars-tormod-langli.html

Shame he retired after breaking his arm. Hard as nails.

In fact when you look at the Bulldogs team of 78, on paper it was won of the hardest set of riders you could ever have. Great memories.

Wasn't Phil Crump in that 'Bulldogs' Team - or - is my 'forgetory' playing tricks on me. :unsure:

Aye... Tormod, compound fracture from hang gliding. Definitely.

Phil Crump moved with Newport to Bristol. I believe Jason was born in Bristol.

Cheers SH. :cheers: