British Speedway Forum
DutchGrasstrack

Dutch & Belgium News 2008

So, what do you think, which rider from Belgium will start 27th april in Neustadt in European Championships quali? Who will start 6th july in Krsko in Junior European Championships quali?

From what I've heard is that a Dutch rider, Eddie Turksema, is going to start riding again... under a Belgium licence... so I think he's going to Neustadt Donau.. For Krsko... I don't know... don't think Wim Kennis is ready for it yet (he don't have a 500cc yet though) but if he's going I'm sure it will be a great experience for him B).

Edited by DutchGrasstrack

Yep will do the Belgium News too :).

---

Last year a new club tried to start up Speedway again in Zolder (Belgium). And is was a succes ! They did 2 open-meetings, one in July and one in November.

This year (2008) Zolder will host 2 rounds of the Dutch Championship:

- 27 April

- 13 July

Currently Belgium got only 3 riders:

- Guido Hulsman: 500cc Solo rider

- Willy Kennis: 500cc Solo rider (classic)

- Wim Kennis (son of Willy): going to start in 2008 on a 500cc solo bike, he rode in 2007 on a 125cc junior bike

One other kid is also planning to ride, Glenn Haex, he's going to ride on a 125cc junior bike.

DutchGrasstrack

Any more info on the meeting at Zolder on 27 Apr. I am sure that is the meeting I have put leave in for. Times, how to get there etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Joanne

Not much info about the 27 Apr meeting.... all I know is that 3 classes (Dutch Open) will ride surely, Speedway Senioren (500cc Solo A), Speedway Nationalen (500cc Solo B ) and 125 Specials (125cc 4-stroke).

No times yet.

Track is very easy to reach... it's near the N719 between Heusen & Zolder.. :).

Google Maps: http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&hl=nl&geoco...1,0.028925&z=15

Not much info about the 27 Apr meeting.... all I know is that 3 classes (Dutch Open) will ride surely, Speedway Senioren (500cc Solo A), Speedway Nationalen (500cc Solo B ) and 125 Specials (125cc 4-stroke).

No times yet.

Track is very easy to reach... it's near the N719 between Heusen & Zolder.. :).

Google Maps: http://maps.google.nl/maps?f=q&hl=nl&geoco...1,0.028925&z=15

Thanks DutchGrasstrack :)

So, what do you think, which rider from Belgium will start 27th april in Neustadt in European Championships quali? Who will start 6th july in Krsko in Junior European Championships quali?

I think you will find Shane Colvin is representing Belgium in the Qualifing rounds.He has been riding under a Belgium licence for the pass 3 years,he made it to the European Grasstrack Final in 2006.

That's the one ! Totally forgot Shane :o.

So... Shane to Neustadt Donau (EC Quali).. but what about Krsko (EC U19 Quali) ? Anymore "Belgium-wannabees" around ? :lol:

That's the one ! Totally forgot Shane  :o.

So... Shane to Neustadt Donau (EC Quali).. but what about Krsko (EC U19 Quali) ? Anymore "Belgium-wannabees" around ?  :lol:

I have heard that Shane lives on the Belgium/French border and has taken out Belgium citizenship and is now called Shane Van Der Colvin :lol:

I have heard that Shane lives on the Belgium/French border and has taken out Belgium citizenship and is now called Shane Van Der Colvin  :lol:

Hehehe :lol:

Okey, update to the Belgium News :D.

Dates:

27/04/08 - Dutch Open

??/??/?? - Meeting (probably a club meeting)

??/??/?? - Open Practice Day

They did some track work, here are some pictures:

http://www.speedwayfanclub.be/nieuws_nieuw...naanleg2008.htm

(Belgium speedway track: Heusen-Zolder)

They did some track work, here are some pictures:

http://www.speedwayfanclub.be/nieuws_nieuw...naanleg2008.htm

(Belgium speedway track: Heusen-Zolder)

Dont they just love that fence. I've linked it before but the pic was taken away later. They actually rode a WC-qualifier with that fence back in 2004. I think the meeting was even stopped once or twice to get some extra trackwork done.

Dont they just love that fence. I've linked it before but the pic was taken away later. They actually rode a WC-qualifier with that fence back in 2004. I think the meeting was even stopped once or twice to get some extra trackwork done.

Ah it was you that linked to that pic.I remember it looked a terrible fence.Was only mentioning that pic a few months back.How a track like that could have been handed an FIM meeting i'll never understand.Well i would if it is all to do with politics :angry::unsure:

Lol, what's wrong with the track/fence ? :unsure:

The 4by4 inch concrete that keeps the fence up. Nothing major... :blink::wink:

This all a long way from the exciting days of the Dutch League in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Then Holland had riders like Henk Stemen senior, Hans van der Sluis, Gerrit Kops in action.

Things seem to have gone down since those days.