British Speedway Forum

How would Ford get £60k of sponsorship for a meeting just to raise funds for a conference team, and what riders would show up for that? Poole cannot run a conference team anyway as they do not own the stadium.

Plus weren't Poole one of the few EL teams to take the acadamy league seriously this year, giving invaluable experience to youngsters just starting out in the sport.

Not sure what owning the stadium has to do with running a Conference Team

Not sure that Oxford, Boston or Weymouth for three examples own the stadium but managed to run in the Conference League

As for Poole taking the Academy League seriously, yes they did, just a shame it has taken 10 years of the current promotion to finally get round to doing ANYTHING to promote up and coming British speedway riders. Lets hope they stick with it then

Edited by Chris Brown

It has everything to do with it at Poole, Chris. The stadium owners wanted double the amount of rent for running conference meetings as opposed to an EL meeting when this was mooted a couple of years ago. The Academy League meetings have luckily been the break that Poole have been able to make use of.

Not sure that Oxford, Boston or Weymouth for three examples own the stadium but managed to run in the Conference League

As for Poole taking the Academy League seriously, yes they did, just a shame it has taken 10 years of the current promotion to finally get round to doing ANYTHING to promote up and coming British speedway riders. Lets hope they stick with it then

Why would poole on any el club want to run a cl team witch is bound to lose you a fortune and put your club at risk ?

Been done before and it don't work

Edited by orion

It has everything to do with it at Poole, Chris. The stadium owners wanted double the amount of rent for running conference meetings as opposed to an EL meeting when this was mooted a couple of years ago. The Academy League meetings have luckily been the break that Poole have been able to make use of.

Fair enough Rabbit. Of course 2nd half racing could always have been done at Poole. Shovvy used to argue that there was no time for youngsters to have races after the meeting. Glad to see that time has been found

Fair enough Rabbit. Of course 2nd half racing could always have been done at Poole. Shovvy used to argue that there was no time for youngsters to have races after the meeting. Glad to see that time has been found

But even that could cost them Chris! I believe some places charge extra to hire the track to run 2nd halves as it's extra to the original contract!! So the same could still apply.

And when Frankie Ebdon is in the box we sometimes get a third half as well! :lol:

realy fancy coming down for this meeting but abit worried about the weather at this time of year..does anyone know the difference between section2and6in the stand?

realy fancy coming down for this meeting but abit worried about the weather at this time of year..does anyone know the difference between section2and6in the stand?

From what I can gather section 1 is first bend, section 7 fourth bend. So section 2 is in front of the starting gate. Hope that helps.

Weather wise who knows?

Thanks for that so i take it section2 would be the better bet then?its only the 5hour journey that gives me the weather worry!..fond memories of poole,last time i was there panthers hammered you with zabik the star of the show and my earliest speedway memory ermolenko doing wheelies at the back in what i think was his first meeting over here!

I still cannot believe the Poole management have left Chris Holder out of this monumental meeting, his first season in Poole colours, a rider they hope to hold on (hehe) to for many years, has won every round of the aussie championship so far ........... odd!

Unless they think he's not up to the job :P

I still cannot believe the Poole management have left Chris Holder out of this monumental meeting, his first season in Poole colours, a rider they hope to hold on (hehe) to for many years, has won every round of the aussie championship so far ........... odd!

Unless they think he's not up to the job  :P

Well the oppo in the Aussie championship is hardly great.Barely international class,let alone world class B)

Edited by iris123

Think he has always been in it. Though I may be wrong.

Riders booked include Nicki Pedersen, Jason Crump, Leigh Adams, Hans Andersen, Greg Hancock, Andreas Jonsson, Scott Nicholls, Chris Harris, Bjarne Pedersen, Krzysztof Kasprzak all of whom will be GP competitors for 2008 along with Danish international Kenneth Bjerre, and Poole Castle Cover Pirate duo of Australian Davey Watt and debutant Karol Zabik.

Thats only 13 riders. Who are the others?

Edited by Steve Shovlar