British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Rider Fashion

It was just that I wanted to clarify that Ivan wore black leathers at the World Final.

Steve

Didnt Ivan wear black leathers for his last World Final for good luck - when everyone else wore coloured??

Didnt Ivan wear black leathers for his last World Final for good luck - when everyone else wore coloured??

His last World Final was in 1979 (which he won, of course), and he wore coloured leathers then.

Steve

Guest Steve Dixon

That was for the 72 final.

[so did Maido. Ronnie was more commonly seen with the two yellow/one red stripes on both arms and legs, as shown on pages 18, 36, and 79 in the above book. Briggo also wore them occasionally (p18 and p76), and so did Hasse Holmkvist (p40) and Geoff Maloney (p51). They weren't uncommon at the time, and I thought they looked pretty smart.

Steve

Yes you are quite correct and I agree Steve,they did look good. I also believe the whole Wimbledon team had the " Stars and Stripes" at one time and coupled with the famous Wimbledon body colour they too looked good.

Unfortunatly body colours today with the sponsors logos etc don't have the same effect

I remember the whole Poole team being equipped for one season with blue leathers. It must have been in the late 60s or very early 70s. Has anyone a clue as to which year it was? Unfortunately most of the photos of that era were in black and white so no clues there! They wore blue and white squared football type shirts in the early 60s and striped shirts in the British League in the mid 60s.

I remember the whole Poole team being equipped for one season with blue leathers. It must have been in the late 60s or very early 70s. Has anyone a clue as to which year it was? Unfortunately most of the photos of that era were in black and white so no clues there! They wore blue and white squared football type shirts in the early 60s and striped shirts in the British League in the mid 60s.

Forgive m eif I have missed a posting on this but did not Alan Cowland ride in white in the 60s?

Forgive m eif I have missed a posting on this but did not Alan Cowland ride in white in the 60s?

Sorry Brian; already mentioned...

Steve