British Speedway Forum
Guest PorkyFenman

Programmes - the filling in of

>>>>>>>>>>>>Wheels in the hostess trolley :P;)

Sorry Porky :oops: didn't mean to offend you there with my posting, it's just my personal opinion on filling in a programme I'm sure there are lots of people within the sport who has the same thoughts as both of us :) It's one of those no win arguments I think ;)

erm....well.. i don't think i would be able to do my job at sittingbourne if i didn't fill my programme in....... :lol:

Guest PorkyFenman

Apologies all round . I'm new to the net and i've been excercising the keyboard without thinking properly . For some reason , because i could type , i have typed , regardless of whether i've had anything worth saying and regardless of anyone i've upset . Truly , i apologise .

I'm gonna consign 'PorkyFenman' to the waste basket , he's not me .

merry xmas

Can you ditch the "Merry Xmas" until December 24th then, being as you are going to be nice from now on? :lol:... :P

I'm trying not to think about it yet, but I know in about two weeks time the shops will be stocking up on crackers, cards, trees. Ugh!! :roll:

Good job Shoddy is not around at the moment.

.....And I'm vegetarian. :shock: ... :lol:

Interesting topic!

I don't give a monkey's if people think it's 'sad' to fill in a programme - personally I get a bit peed off with people who DON'T buy a programme and then keep asking people who have what the score is!!!!! :P :twisted:

I couldn´t have said it better myself! :approve:

In my younger years I probably looked over my fathers shoulder but since the ages of eight I´ve filled in programmes from all meetings I´ve been to, or at least so far back I can remember at the moment. Really can´t imagine how it would be not to fill in one and I dread the day when they are sold out, that´s why I usually print my own. Strange? Well, that´s me. :P

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Can I say I think Porky has a point !!!!

Not in criticising people for filling in programs BUT that in the modern era the fact that a sport can't provide a good results service to the fans at the venue. Look at lots of stadia now, they have electronic scoreboards, immediate replays, data on the players / riders / competitors etc. As it is how many complaints do you hear that "I couldn't hear the loudspeaker on turn 2 anyway" ?

I think Porky was actually making the point that "the way forward" might include updating a few old concepts. If the sport wants to attract newcomers then the odd upgrade or two won't go astray !!

Not in criticising people for filling in programs BUT that in the modern era the fact that a sport can't provide a good results service to the fans at the venue. Look at lots of stadia now, they have electronic scoreboards, immediate replays, data on the players / riders / competitors etc. As it is how many complaints do you hear that "I couldn't hear the loudspeaker on turn 2 anyway" ?

Not many of these modern stadiums with electronic scoreboards, replay screens etc are speedway stadiums. OK we get the Millennium Stadium once a year but the modern football stadiums are not built for speedway and do not want speedway as they are designed square so the fans can be close to the pitch. Even Odsal has now slammed the door on speedway with hospitality boxes at one end and the former speedway track concreted.

It seems our sport has to go the way of Somerset, Trelawny etc and set up venues from scratch out of the towns to avoid noise nuisance.

Therefore we must ensure that these venues have adequate PA systems so that fans can be properly informed and fill their programmes in correctly.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I know where you are coming from Rog and there is a cost to all of this but if speedway is competing with other sports for spectators it has to be mindful of the quality of product it serves up.

I'm not talking a state of the art multi million pound scoreboard or scoring system, but surely it shouldn't be too hard to have a scoreboard with 2 teams and 14 riders names on it with scores updated after each heat.

Those that wanted to could still keep filling in programs but a score service would make it far easier for the newbies.

I'm not talking a state of the art multi million pound scoreboard or scoring system, but surely it shouldn't be too hard to have a scoreboard with 2 teams and 14 riders names on it with scores updated after each heat.

Mount it on the side of the tractor and it would be visible at all points of the stadium. Always assuming the track gets graded of course ;-)

well i got sick of filling programs in at newcastle due to the huge delays - they upped the admission prices so there is no way im going to put more money in their pockets buying a program until they run the show a little more smoothly - so far this season we have had one meeting running on time!

Because of the speed , the noise , the smell and excitement .

Its a great sport , but newbie fans will be scared away by the failed train spotters .

Your name's Porky & you're attracted to smell, says it all really.

(A pint of Newcy brown & a bag of scratchings please smilie)

Guest PorkyFenman
Your name's Porky & you're attracted to smell, says it all really.

In Mongolian , 'tamer' means sodomite . Have you a season ticket at the zoo ?

In Mongolian , 'tamer' means sodomite . Have you a season ticket at the zoo ?

Err, now you mention it, yes I do.

(I think I'd better change my sig quick smilie)