British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Railway End

Ted Laessing

And Colin Farquharson. Whatever happened to Colin Farquharson? Best name ever for a speedway rider.

Now there is one I remember and wondered about myself-Ted Laessing-I recall him being really keen and studying the Newport track before he was due to ride-this is when he was a second half rider, sometimes in the team-perhaps 1967? I know after that he rode for Kings Lynn afterwards and didn't he have a tuning business,?he was an Aussie right??.Quite taciturn at that time along the lines of Charlie Monk.While a good rider when he started at Newport people thought he would go right to the top.Would like to know what he is doing.

Now there is one I remember and wondered about myself-Ted Laessing-I recall him being really keen and studying the Newport track before he was due to ride-this is when he was a second half rider, sometimes in the team-perhaps 1967? I know after that he rode for Kings Lynn afterwards and didn't he have a tuning business,?he was an Aussie right??.Quite taciturn at that time along the lines of Charlie Monk.While a good rider when he started at Newport people thought he would go right to the top.Would like to know what he is doing.

Ted runs a speedway and grasstrack spares service called Maximum Racing, based near Salisbury.

Also, I think he is of Polish descent and not an Aussie.

Another former Pirate who occasionally turns up at the Stadium.Saw him two or three times last season.Shy as ever.

Im sure I saw his name in some veterans grasstrack results 2-3 years ago.

I believe he sold his shop,'Maximum' in Downton,nr Salisbury,a few years ago.He is of Austrian decent,although he is as English as an Englishman can be!

Two memorable meetings for him up at Swindon.He scored a maximum 12pts,from the number 7 berth,(68?).The weather was awful,raining all the time.You could see the line they were taking,but the sludge would run back down from the fence to cover the track by the time they got back round!That night he didnt meet up with any of the big guns,but it was a terrific result for a number 7 in those days.On another occasion,he also beat the mighty Briggo up there.

Im also sure he beat Jimmy Gooch to win the Silver Sash at Newport.Sadly he lost it at the next meeting.(Sorry cant remember who to)

Ted`s shop (Maximum Racing) is now called `BURNOUT BIKES` the present owner bought the premises from Ted. He`s got Teds old 2 valve JAWA and `monkey mask` which he displays in the shop window. Ted supplied the fuel and oil at Bristol speedway . Shop is situated on the main road thru Downton on the A36 Salisbury road. Ted is of German origin.(according to the present owner)

Edited by bulldog 77 / 78

ted has sold his business some time ago and lives in retirement at wellow in the new forest he is in fact of german extraction when the berlin wall came down he got completely bladdered because he couldsee his relatives again he to will be appearing at sammy millers on 20 th july

So, does anyone know where Ted was actually born, and his date of birth please?

ted has sold his business some time ago and lives in retirement at wellow in the new forest he is in fact of german extraction when the berlin wall came down he got completely bladdered because he couldsee his relatives again he to will be appearing at sammy millers on 20 th july

just been reading your bit about ted and you mention he know lives in wellow is that where another poole rider came from tim bungay any one know what he is up to :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure Tim Bungay passed away a number of years ago.

I hope I am wrong.

Oddsfosengen posted in March this year :.. Tim used to live in Ower (New Forrest) but now spends his time sailing around the Caribbean in the warmer climate and returns to Britain in the summer months. :unsure:

Glad I was wrong-I may have been thinking of Tony Lewis.