British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

28 minutes ago, iris123 said:

No and i don't suppose the cricket was held there or at the speedway stadium :blink:

In 1936-37 Wimbledon Sadium staged baseball.

4 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

In 1936-37 Wimbledon Sadium staged baseball.

But that is not the point. The point was, i doubt the Jack Hobbs Trophy for cricket was played at Plough Lane speedway stadium. Or doyou know different ? And i doubt Jack Hobbs put up a baseball trophy either. Or do you know different ?

31 minutes ago, iris123 said:

But that is not the point. The point was, i doubt the Jack Hobbs Trophy for cricket was played at Plough Lane speedway stadium. Or doyou know different ? And i doubt Jack Hobbs put up a baseball trophy either. Or do you know different ?

I agree. Jack Hobbs had nothing to do with the baseball matches played at Wimbledon Stadium in 1936 and 1937. 

Edited by Guest

38 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

I agree. Jack Hobbs had nothing to do with the baseball matches played at Wimbledon Stadium in 1936 and 1937. 

Wonderful

7 hours ago, iris123 said:

I agree. Jack Hobbs had nothing to do with the baseball matches played at Wimbledon Stadium IN 1936 and 1937. 

When there is so much debate on this thread about the many great riders who have been associated with Wimbledon over the years two names that appear to be ignored: Jimmy Gibb and Alec Statham circa 1950s. Does anyone remember them?

Edited by Guest

A "Wimbledon character":- 

Al Holliday, a junior rider at the old California-in-England track  in 1954-55 and at Rayleigh in 1963 has just celebrated his 95th birthday.Over the years he had many guises in the sport. In the early !950s he was a track raker and later a starting gate marshall at Wimbledon, then in 1954-55 was a junior rider at California. After that he was the pit marshal at Eastbourne for several seasons.In 1956 he appeared in the World Final at Wembley - as one of  the start area marshals.

For some years Holliday was spanner-man for Maury McDermott. It was during McDermott's 1963 promotional spell at Rayleigh that Holliday made a few appearances in junior races. Al also told me that he still holds a Full driving licence and regularly uses his car. 

Edited by Guest

George Frederick Bernard "Nosher" Powell, stuntman and boxer, born 15 August 1928; died 20 April 2013

Along with his wife, he ran a pub ext door to the stadium. I wonder if anyone knows if he ever popped over the road to watch the Dons ?

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

George Frederick Bernard "Nosher" Powell, stuntman and boxer, born 15 August 1928; died 20 April 2013

Along with his wife, he ran a pub ext door to the stadium. I wonder if anyone knows if he ever popped over the road to watch the Dons ?

I thought his pub was in a different local area and not actually one of the two opposite the  stadium? BUT I AM PREPARED TO BE PROVED WRONG - yet again!

Jimmy Gibb and Alec Statham were Wimbledon riders circa 1950s. Does anyone remember them?

19 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Jimmy Gibb and Alec Statham were Wimbledon riders circa 1950s. Does anyone remember them?

Nae... I wasnae born then...

21 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

I don't remember them, but i do remember Barry Briggs. he used to have a record shop on Garratt Lane. Apparently a star of the time Tommy Steele was at the opening . Does anyone remember the shop ? maybe bought a 45 there. Maybe even from Tommy Steele . Apparently Briggo also opened up a driving school next door as well. A little empire started

Edited by iris123

2 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I don't remember them, but i do remember Barry Briggs. he used to have a record shop on Garratt Lane. Apparently a star of the time Tommy Steele was at the opening . Does anyone remember the shop ? maybe bought a 45 there. Maybe even from Tommy Steele . Apparently Briggo also opened up a driving school next door as well. A little empire started

When I were a lad, we actually went down to Southampton and spent the weekend at Barry and June's...

1 hour ago, JohnHyam said:

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Link re Jimmy Gibb: 

http://www.canadianspeedway.com/halloffame/jimgibb.htm

Link re Alec Statham:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Statham

Edited by Guest