British Speedway Forum
Vincent Vega

Memories Of Station Road

I lived in Nottingham 66-68 and would visit Station Road in 66 and 67 all the time

Bobbath, were you there the night in 1967 when Long Eaton beat Swindon? Ray Wilson took the track record in heat one on his way to beating Barry Briggs and then took the Silver Sash from the World Champ in the second half.

I wasn't there, by the way. I was reading about it recently. Speedway Star and News called his first race win over Briggo "the race of the season" at the time.

That same year, a young Aussie called John Boulger was signed and scored a maximum in his very first match.

Grachan-yup still have the prog-looking at it now LE won 41-37-Wilson got a max, Michanek got 8, as did Jim Lightfoot-must have been his last season. Wilson and Michanek both beat Briggs fair and square.It was may 2 1967,I'd forgotten the Archers had so many famous riders at one time

It was one of Briggo's worst matches of the season. He ended up with seven points, what with those two defeats plus an ef in his final ride. Bob Kilby was the star for Swindon - beating Michanek from the back in his final race and then going on to beat Wilson in the second half final.

It was, indeed, an impressive array of names in the Long Eaton side that year. It was Michanek's first year in Britain and he was one of two sensational new Swedes to come in to the league, the other being Hasse Holmqvist at Wolves. I think Michanek reached the World Final that year too.

That's right Michanek reached his first World Final in 67 finishing with 9 pts.(0-2-2-3-2) joint sixth with Eric Boocock-.Poor old LE finished 17 out of 19 in BL in 67 even with all those great riders. Where did you used to watch from Grachan I was always at the start/finish line. I'd forgotten by the way that John Poyser was riding with the Archers that year-Norman Storer was ever present I think.

I never actually went to Long Eaton. It's just that I bought the 1967 Speedway Stars off ebay and have been reading about Swindon's matches that season.

Sorry you never got to go Grachan-great spot.I'm trying to recall the name of the pub just outside it sort of looked like a big manor?altho' my memory ,may be playing tricks.I'd catch a Barton's bus from Beeston to LE and would sometimes eat at a cafe called I think"Banner's Farm fare"-a local east midlands chain I think.Any forumland people out there help me with the pub and cafe name.

A friend of my wife used to live near Long Eaton speedway and he reckons the big "manor" type pub was almost certainly called The Pavillion and was knocked down about 20 years ago.

Thanx folks-you are right it was The Pavilion-I also recognise the picture.I had several pints there and am sad to hear its gone-why can't things just stay the same sometimes!!

So if the Pavillion was knocked down 20 years ago what is the building in the photo? :unsure: It looks like a pub but I don't know what it is/was called.

P'raps the photo was taken 20 years ago!!Tell you what lets meet there for a beer and see if it is still standing!!I think there must be a lot of ghosts there now!!

I think it was taken pretty recently because it shows what is left of the Long Eaton track.

I don't drink but I'll treat you to some of those lovely fish and chips from the shop on Station Road. :lol: Mind you that's probably gone as well now.

Does anyone know the track record, holder and date set when Station Road sadly closed please?

Yeh that was a great fish and chip shop wasn't it.Vic White still lives in Long Eaton.

Does anyone know the track record, holder and date set when Station Road sadly closed please?

Just bringing this back to the top in the hope someone has the details - thanks.