British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Speedway's Most-travelled Riders

Justin Elkins should be high up the list. I make it that he has ridden for at least 16 teams

Arena Essex, Eastbourne, Eastbourne Starlets (CL), Edinburgh, Exeter, Hull, Isle of Wight, Long Eaton, Poole, Reading, Rye House, Stoke, Stoke Spitfires (CL ), Weymouth, Wimbledon & Workington

Good call.

Steve

Justin Elkins should be high up the list. I make it that he has ridden for at least 16 teams

Arena Essex, Eastbourne, Eastbourne Starlets (CL), Edinburgh, Exeter, Hull, Isle of Wight, Long Eaton, Poole, Reading, Rye House, Stoke, Stoke Spitfires (CL ), Weymouth, Wimbledon & Workington

And the Iwade Colts..!!

Not Weymouth in a competitive fixture though, I don't think..

His five 'engine failures' at the tapes when captaining the then non-league Weymouth in a challenge at Wimbledon did for his chances there I believe..!!! :rolleyes:

I think things will get 'messy', though, with respect to the current 'Academy' league as all sorts of weird things have happened there with rider appearances...

It certainly IS getting 'messy'. :blink:

Take the example of young Jerran Hart.

This year is just his second in the sport.

Last year as a Grade One starter he appeared in the CL for Rye House (4 times), Stoke (3 times), Boston (twice) & Oxford before signing for Sittingbourne (the appearances for the other clubs before signing for the Crusaders cannot accurately be described as 'guest' appearances, which the 2008 Yearbook incorrectly lists them as... :neutral: )

He also appeared in the Academy League (which, has been suggested, should count in the calculations used in this enduringly interesting thread...) for his parent club Lakeside plus Poole and Rye House.

He has now made his PL debut for Newport.

So, at 17 years of age and, as I say, just a week into a second season in the sport that's NINE 'different' clubs...!!! :rolleyes::shock:

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

And the Iwade Colts..!!

His five 'engine failures' at the tapes when captaining the then non-league Weymouth in a challenge at Wimbledon did for his chances there I believe..!!! :rolleyes:

I did wonder if I should add the clause that an "appearance" should be at least one completed race in an evening, but I never even thought of Efkins. Hey, are we really that cynical? Last time I saw him ("riding" for us) he did make it to the first bend in front, before packing up by the time he reached the back straight - several times.

Anyway, so you reckon that Weymouth weren't an "official" team when he rode for them, but Iwade was? Obviously, I have been a little out of touch over the last 16 years, so I'm relying on everyone else here.

Steve

PS I know who you are... ;) All this time, and I didn't have a clue... :rolleyes:

I did wonder if I should add the clause that an "appearance" should be at least one completed race in an evening, but I never even thought of Efkins. Hey, are we really that cynical? Last time I saw him ("riding" for us) he did make it to the first bend in front, before packing up by the time he reached the back straight - several times.

Anyway, so you reckon that Weymouth weren't an "official" team when he rode for them, but Iwade was?

Steve

PS I know who you are... ;) All this time, and I didn't have a clue...

Hmm, I could be wrong about Justin's appearances for the Wildcats.. :blink: : heck, it's late here..: considerably later than in downtown Cahokia IL, I'm guessing :wink:

But the challenge matches by Weymouth, before they entered the league don't seem to me to 'count', whereas 'Training League' matches by Iwade might..??!!

Geez, it's a complicated business!! :lol:

Glad you recall our meeting up now, Steve. How goes it with the darts these days..??

Would be great to see you back in action over here..! :approve:

Hmm, I could be wrong about Justin's appearances for the Wildcats.. :blink: : heck, it's late here..: considerably later than in downtown Cahokia IL, I'm guessing :wink:

Don't ask me - you're the expert! Still, I'm noticing that you're something of a nocturnal creature, 'cos it's only 10pm here.

But the challenge matches by Weymouth, before they entered the league don't seem to me to 'count', whereas 'Training League' matches by Iwade might..??!!

Geez, it's a complicated business!! :lol:

Challenges obviously don't count, but "Training League"??? To be honest, it doesn't really sound like a legitimate and competitive league.

Would be great to see you back in action over here..! :approve:

Well, when we met, I was actually on my way out of the PDC, basically because of a change in the Ranking System. I'm back with the BDO/WDF again, and in fact, I came over last November to play in the World Masters and World Championship qualifier up in Bridlington. I came very close to qualifying for the World Championship, and I'm only one step away from Bridlington again this year. Hopefully, unlike last year (they changed the dates), it will be held during the speedway season! My wife has only ever seen speedway over here, so it would be nice if we could take in something in the UK.

Steve

Edited by chunky

And the Iwade Colts..!!

I am sure that Justin Elkins rode in Weymouths first Conference League match away at Newport in 2004.

I am sure that Justin Elkins rode in Weymouths first Conference League match away at Newport in 2004.

Absolutely correct. He scored 5 points, plus a fall and two EF's...

Thanks,

Steve

Back to dear old Wal Morton. He spent most of 1945 riding for Bradford - and looking at the results for that season would appear to have been the Boomerangs leading rider.

Just added David Blackburn (12) to the list.

Steve

What about Olle Nygren, 10 that I can think of

Bristol, Harringey, New Cross, Southampton, Swindon, Norwich, Wimbledon,

West Ham, Ipswich, King's Lynn & Coventry.

Sorry thats 11.

So, here is the latest chart. I'm still including those riders with eight or more teams, knowing that there may well be one or two missing.

Steve

18 - ALAN MOGRIDGE (Arena Essex, Berwick, Bradford, Canterbury, Crayford, Eastbourne, Hackney, Ipswich, London, Middlesbrough, Peterborough, Rye House, Sheffield, Stoke, Swindon, Wimbledon, Wolves, Workington)

16 - JUSTIN ELKINS (Arena Essex, Eastbourne, Eastbourne Starlets, Edinburgh, Exeter, Hull, Isle of Wight, Long Eaton, Poole, Reading, Rye House, Stoke, Stoke Spitfires, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Workington)

16 - WAL MORTON (Bradford (Greenfield), Bradford (Odsal), Bristol, Coventry, Glasgow WC, Hackney, Harringay, Ipswich, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Norwich, West Ham, West Ham Res, Weymouth, Wimbledon)

16 - TONY FEATHERSTONE (Boston, Bradford, Crayford, Exeter, Hackney, King's Lynn, King's Lynn II, Leicester, Long Eaton, Milton Keynes, Newport, Peterborough, Poole, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Wolves)

15 - JAMES BIRKINSHAW (Belle Vue Colts, Berwick, Birmingham, Boston, Buxton, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Linlithgow, Newcastle, Sheffield, Sheffield Prowlers, St. Austell, Stoke, Wolves 2nd, Workington)

15 - MARK BURROWS (Belle Vue, Buxton, Cleveland (Boro II), Cleveland (Redcar II), Coventry, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hull, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Stoke, Stoke Spitfires, Wimbledon)

15 - GEORGE MAJOR(Aldershot, Belle Vue, Birmingham, Cradley, Doncaster, Glasgow, Leicester, Neath, Newcastle, Norwich, Oxford, Sheffield, St. Austell, Wolves, Yarmouth)

14 - STAN STEVENS (Barrow, Chesterton, Cradley, Exeter, King's Lynn, Mildenhall, New Cross, Oxford, Rayleigh, Romford, Rye House, Southampton, Rayleigh, West Ham)

13 - NEIL COLLINS (Belle Vue, Ellesmere Port, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Hull, Leicester, Newport, Sheffield, Somerset, Stoke, Swindon, Wolves, Workington)

12 - DAVID BLACKBURN (Belle Vue, Berwick, Boston, Glasgow, Leicester, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Reading, Sheffield, Workington)

12 - ERIC HOCKADAY (Aldershot, California, Coventry, Cradley, Exeter, Leicester, Oxford, Rayleigh, Rye House, Sheffield, Southern Rovers, Stoke)

12 - CHRIS JULIAN (Bristol, Cradley, Exeter, Glasgow, Glasgow WC, Mildenhall, Neath, Newport, Plymouth, Southampton, St. Austell, Weymouth)

12 - DES LUKEHURST (Eastbourne, Exeter, Exeter 'B', Hackney, Long Eaton, Newport, Oxford, Romford, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Wolves)

12 - GEOFF PENNIKET (Cradley, Eastbourne, King's Lynn, Long Eaton, New Cross, Newpool, Newport, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Romford, Workington)

12 - NIGEL SPARSHOTT (Birmingham, Crayford, Exeter, King's Lynn, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Oxford, Poole, Rye House, Swindon, Wimbledon)

12 - KEN VALE (Aldershot, Canterbury, Cradley, Eastbourne, Exeter, King's Lynn II, Long Eaton, Neath, Newport, Oxford, Weymouth, Workington)

11 - DANNY DUNTON (Birmingham, Belle Vue, Belle Vue Res, Harringay, Ipswich, Long Eaton, Norwich, Oxford, Swindon, Weymouth, Yarmouth)

11 - REIDAR EIDE (Coatbridge, Edinburgh, Exeter, Leicester, Newport, Poole, Reading, Sheffield, Swindon, Wembley, Wolves)

11 - TOMMY SWEETMAN (Aldershot, California, Exeter, Hackney, New Cross, Norwich II, Rayleigh Rovers, Rye House, Southern Rovers, Swindon Res, Wolves)

11 - ROB WOFFINDEN (Berwick, Birmingham, Boston, Edinburgh, Halifax, Milton Keynes, Middlesbrough, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Stoke)

10 - JIMMY SQUIBB (Canterbury, Cradley, Eastbourne, Exeter, Harringay, Ipswich, New Cross, Plymouth, Poole, Southampton)

10 - DEREK TIMMS (Aldershot, Cradley, Crayford, Doncaster, Middlesbrough, New Cross, Plymouth, St. Austell, Wimbledon Res, Wolves)

9 - MAL CORRADINE (Birmingham, Cradley, Doncaster, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Oxford, Stoke, Weymouth, Wolves)

9 - ALAN COWLAND (Exeter, Hull, Leicester, Mildenhall, Newport, Peterborough, Wimbledon, Wolves, Workington)

9 - DAVID CRANE (Coventry, Exeter, Hackney, Ipswich, King's Lynn, King's Lynn II, Norwich, Oxford, Sheffield)

9 - ERIC EADON (Aldershot, Brafield, Coventry Res, Cradley, Edinburgh, Rayleigh Rovers, Southern Rovers, Stoke, Wolves)

9 - JOHN FITZPATRICK (Ipswich, Middlesbrough, Oxford Res, Rayleigh, Southampton, Stoke, West Ham, Wimbledon Res, Yarmouth)

9 - KEITH HARVEY (Birmingham, C. Palace, High Beech, Luton, New Cross, Norwich, Stamford Bridge, West Ham, Wimbledon)

9 - BRIAN LEONARD (Hackney, Leicester, Newpool, Newport, Oxford, Poole, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham)

9 - STEVE JOHNSTON (Arena, Belle Vue, Coventry, Ipswich, Long Eaton, Oxford, Sheffield, Swindon, Wolves)

8 - TONY EADON, CLIVE HITCH, DAVE JESSUP, GORDON KENNETT, MARK LORAM, GARRY MIDDLETON, CHARLIE MONK, JOHN POYSER, GLYN TAYLOR

Wal Morton rode for King's Lynn in the only two meetings they staged in 1953.

Geoff Penniket rode in six Northern League matches for Newcastle in 1962.

John Fitzpatrick rode for New Cross in 1961. Des Lukehurst rode for New Cross in 1963.

Edited by norbold