British Speedway Forum
em1500uk

South Australia Solo Championship

20-year-old Troy Batchelor won the South Australian Solo Championship at Gillman Speedway tonight, and in so doing became the first Queensland rider to win the Championship.

Batchelor won his four heats relatively easily. The only time he was challenged was when Cameron Woodward and Cory Gathercole led him briefly in his third ride, but when he powered around them both down the back straight, most correctly predicted the final would be his.

Again in the final he led all the way but it wasn't an easy win. As you would hope in a final, the other three finalists were snapping at his heels throughout. He held about a one to two bike length lead so the others were not challenging for the lead but were ready to power through had he made a mistake — which he didn't.

At the finish it was Batchelor by about 20 metres from Woodward, with a further 5 metres to Tom Hedley and Robert Ksiezak who crossed the line side-by-side. Ksiezak got the judge's nod for third.

Heat Points

Troy Batchelor (Qld) 12 (maximum)

Tom Hedley (Vic) 11

Cameron Woodward (Vic) 9

Cory Gathercole (Vic) 9

Robert Ksiezak (SA) 8

Matthew Wethers (SA) 7

Aaron Summers (SA) 6

Jake Anderson (Vic) 5

Arlo Bugeja (SA) 4

Brock Gates (Vic) 0

Jackson Milne (Vic) 0

Ben Turner (SA) 0

Mark Mitchell (SA) (res) 1

Semi-Final: Ksiezak, Gathercole, Wethers, Summers - 60.45

Final: Batchelor, Woodward, Ksiezak, Hedley - 60.31

Taken from http://www.gillmanspeedway.com

Well done Troy :D

A new name on the trophy - its been a while!!! :o:D

Congratulations Troy. :D

Edited by Sandie

Would have been major shock if Troy hadn't won, well done!!

Whats going on with the solos in Adelaide.

No disrespect for the riders , but only 12 riders for a state title, first time in my memory that they couldnt put a 16 rider field together, and only 5 were locals.

And i think, dont quote me,because i didnt go, that they didnt run at all last night at Gillman, certainly didnt advertise that they were on.

Makes the treatment some potentual riders are getting even more mystifying, and there failure to run the 350s.

Could be a sorry year next year when all the sidecars arent as keen to run there.

Worrying, Junior

Whats going on with the solos in Adelaide.

No disrespect for the riders , but only 12 riders for a state title, first time in my memory that they couldnt put a 16 rider field together, and only 5 were locals.

And i think, dont quote me,because i didnt go,  that they didnt run at all last night at Gillman, certainly didnt advertise that they were on.

Makes the treatment some potentual riders are getting even more mystifying, and there failure to run the 350s.

Could be a sorry year next year when all the sidecars arent as keen to run there.

Worrying, Junior

Trying to work out yer Post, Junior, but its got me stuffed. Maybe you should get a bit more involved, maybe check with the Gillman Website occasionally, then you might know what's goin' down? :unsure:

Ok, i will word it another way, only 5 locals riding in SA, four are riding in the Uk this year so probably wont ride again this season, yet they refused to run the 350s at the australian titles, snubbing potentual riders, and dont hold any practices during the summer for the riders that are coming through or arent up to racing standard as yet.

Seems like a dumb attitude to me and might bite them next season when theres not an aussie sidecar title at the venue.

Junior

Last night Sat 2nd feb was supposed to be a Starts of tomorrow for Solos and Sidecars at Gillman.

They had to change it to sidecars only because there is basically not enough senior Solos riders left over here in SA to make a race let alone starts of tomorrow!!

So the quads were programed instead.

Gillman made the choice to give the well traveled reserves and locals a chance to race during the Aussie Title cant please every body.

They also run winter meetings for anyone who wants a go as things are busy enough during the normal season.

I admit it doesnt look bright for Solo numbers in Adelaide with young Sisiss inter vied after the junior races saying Road racing is his first love!( anyway he is only 12 and has to wait 4 years before he could ride in the seniors.

Cant comment on the 350s and I dont know whats going on.

Edited by spiderweb

Gillman made the choice to give the well traveled reserves and locals a chance to race during the Aussie Title cant please every body.

Yes the locals who had another ten meetings to ride for the season, and some who werent bothered to do the aussie titles anyway.

Junior

I may be wrong but I think the current lack of senior riders in SA (and Queensland) is due to the lull we had in junior racing.

There were a couple of years when no riders were progressing due to the lack of junior racing, particularly in SA but other States are suffering just the same.

As an example, Queensland hardly has any senior riders in the South East (a few more in North Queensland but they don't all travel to compete in the bigger meetings)

The juniors are currently strong in QLD (and building in SA) however most of the kids are under 14, so no new senior riders are on the horizon after the likes of Darcy Ward steps up. Hopefully most of the kids will jump on the 350's and stay with the sport, otherwise we will have a period where very few riders are coming through.

Which brings me back to the point Junior Fan made, why would Gillman foolishly (in my opinion) refuse to have 350's on at the National Championships (when all other tracks did), when they have hardly any senior riders locally - not really looking after the future of the sport in SA are they?

For the record the top juniors in SA are;

Arthur Sissis (12) - four years away

Robert Branford (14) Two years away

Robert Medson (almost 14) Two years away

and in Queensland

Darcy Ward - 16 in May (the only rider ready to step up)

Tyson Nelson - 14

Nick Morris - 13

Clinton Dennis - 15 in March

Victoria is similar (Only really Sedgy, Munro and Barnfiled), NSW have a few coming through (Poole, Kurtz, etc) but its similar in all States.

Edited by whowasthatberntpersson

From memory (bear with me here!) at the Gillman Ozchamps this year we had 22 Heats & Finals of the Comp; about 10 heats of the boys who didn't quite make the comp; 5 heats of Juniors on 125's and 5 heats of Peewees, plus at least 5 full track grades. Travis's Accident made for a bit of a delay but apart from that it was a pretty full card, so which group would you have got rid of?. :unsure:

I agree it would have been good to see the 350's but there's only so much time available since the position of the track in relation to the setting sun makes a start before 2030hrs unfeasible. As it was we were still going at about midnight - luckily I didn't turn into a Pumpkin (AGAIN!) :blink:;)

I see your point BFD, however its pretty obvious that the 350's have been a star attraction just lately.

Sounds like the promotion had some kind of axe to grind by not having them on...buggered if I know for sure but thats what I reckon.

I see your point BFD, however its pretty obvious that the 350's have been a star attraction just lately.

You've got that right; the quality of their racing was superb, and they weren't that much slower than the big boys! :D

You're right about that Lull in juniors coming through, and lets face it, Casey Stoner is this year's Huge Role Model for youngsters, we could lose a few to that. we've been on a Roll since the improved coverage first on C7 then FoxSports and the renewed interest since the Sydney SGP and our SWC wins gave us our current crop, that and sons of riders coming through plus whatever they put in the Water in Mildura (apart from Leigh Adams' Speedboat!) ;)

I may be wrong but I think the current lack of senior riders in SA (and Queensland) is due to the lull we had in junior racing.

As an example, Queensland hardly has any senior riders in the South East 

Which brings me back to the point Junior Fan made, why would Gillman foolishly (in my opinion) refuse to have 350's on at the National Championships (when all other tracks did), when they have hardly any senior riders locally - not really looking after the future of the sport in SA are they?

G/Day WWTBP... :rolleyes:

Jr's need track time. A stand alone Speedway is what they all need.....

24/7 I say. ;)

"Qld hardly has any senior riders"...... I know... :blink:

It was good when JJ, Shirra etc was out on the track....

Gillman?.....350's on Clay.......... Not a good mix at this stage of the game m8.... Sidecars can't get around.... The Sprintcars take off mid turn. :(

Regards.

PS.

I love to see a Speedway forum race....

WWTBP gate1, Spiderweb gate2, Lunchy gate3, & BFD gate4, FD -10m ..... (;0)

Bugger it I'll say it again "OPEN 350 RACING TO ALL RIDERS" by the time a rider is ready for a 350 he's still racing the same riders for 2 or 5 years, with that many laps under them belts, they are more than ready to learn from a new bunch of racers, like Mitch, Rivett B) etc.... now thats a real speedway school....even if it's a NZ one... :blink:

Regards.

Edited by Trackman