British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Leo Mcauliffe

Would like to bring Leo's name to Forumland. Usually associate him with Wimbledon, but later CH.Leo I think was captain of the Dons for a while.One of those guys who got to the World Final,when perhaps better or more consistent riders did not e.g. Tommy Miller,Charlie Monk,Roy Trigg etc etc.I know he was there in 1963 -didn't disgrace himself by any means and scored 7 pts. including a heat win over Sverre Harrfeldt.Anybody out there know if Leo is still around.

I remember Leo well at New Cross, 1960 and 1961. He was probably the best of the second strings, just ahead of Jimmy Gooch. Leo had been a major force in the old Southern Area League.

Leo lives in Elstree, Hertfordshire.

Leo McAuliffe was at Oxford last as I remember in 1968 and 69.

He always rode without a peak on his crash helmet for some reason, just his preference I guess.

Would like to bring Leo's name to Forumland. Usually associate him with Wimbledon, but later CH.Leo I think was captain of the Dons for a while.One of those guys who got to the World Final,when perhaps better or more consistent riders did not e.g. Tommy Miller,Charlie Monk,Roy Trigg etc etc.I know he was there in 1963 -didn't disgrace himself by any means and scored 7 pts. including a heat win over Sverre Harrfeldt.Anybody out there know if Leo is still around.

yep leo alive and kicking and coming to my reunion see southampton thread where he started his carrer

yep leo alive and kicking and coming to my reunion see southampton thread where he started his carrer

I always thought that Leo McAuliffe started on speedway in second-half events at Wimbledon and riding in the SAL for California Poppies, probably around late 1954 or early 1955.