British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

Spain And Speedway

This the last Post on the Speedway Espanae site, made in February 2008. Has anything happened since then?

Russ returns to the UK and finally gets to start work full time, this will pay dividends not only financially but also from a self worth perspective for him having been technically out of work for over two and a half years and relying on Claire for an income.

Hilario tries repeatedly to contact Bartolome again to no avail, we find this very strange as it was him that expressed the interest in helping us!

The month comes and goes and absolutely no progress is made. Hilario is given times to ring the office when Bartolome is due in but it never materializes and our frustration grows. We find it unbelievable that a Government Department can be so innept as to be so far behind with processing applications and despite being some four months behind back in October when we presented our project, still, some five months later we are no nearer having ours looked at by the engineer and then it taking its place up on the wall of the building before finally being signed off in Malaga.

The problem we face now is that as time ticks by and another month is wasted our window of opportunity is beginning to close. Our target, paperwork permitting was to open in late May or even early June but as the situation is now and considering the abuse and grief we took following the cancellation back in May last year, we are not prepared to take anymore gambles after being let down so badly before. We have all agreed that no decision will be taken until we are in possession of the very last piece of paperwork and unfortunately come September, two of our already secured permissions expire due to only being valid for twelve months. This would mean that if we took the decision to go ahead with the project we would have to reapply for those permissions and potentially run the risk of more delays or even a possible complete change of heart. March is now an extremely critical month for us as if there is to be the tinyest of possibilities for us to open, we must make some progress in the next four or so weeks.

And now we are into June.

Edited by speedyguy

I identify so much with this situation. My Dad had similar problems during his time in Spain. The fact is that planning permission granted has taken a nose dive since 2005, and it hasn't helped that there was a scandal about urban planning this year in the South East. I do think things will change soon as the Spanish economy slows, especially as a whopping 15% of GDP comes from construction (according to The Economist) and growing demand for rental properties for the youngsters, but who knows what the future holds. All I can say is that you're not the only one, and we're all rooting for you - as the Spanish would say - ánimo!

I am still trying to find out what happened at the mentioned meeting between Russell Paine and the local town council (April 8 2008). I have sent an email to this address which bounced back, nor reply to phone calls - don't seem to be correct - and I will be writing a letter today. Anyone else care to also try? The details are:

Motospeedway España

Apartado De Correos # 193

Puerto Lumbereras

Murcia 30890

Spain

Tel: 0034 670 609 760

Tel: 0044 (0)7904 234022

info@motospeedway-espana.com

Edited by speedyguy

This is a similar thought to my own. The concept of the venture was blazoned everywhere a couple of years ago - when it goes a@$e upwards and you try to find out why, there's a stunning silence. Or you get criticised by raising the mater.

If the attempt to 'revive'/start speedway in Spain has collapsed, then those involved should admit the fact. We were told that a meeting set for early April between themselves and the town officials would decide the venture's future.

Why no follow-up? It was nearly seven weeks ago that the meeting was scheduled to take place. Even Spanish officialdom does not move that slowly.

I have to agree with shazzybird here speedyguy....... I am suprised that bone still exists considering the amount of time you have been chewing it and this is starting to look like a bit more than an 'interest' in Spanish Speedway

I think it is fair to say that the project has had its problems so far and I cant even imagine what the Paines have had to go through to get to where they are now... let alone how hard they have already worked to get to where they want to be despite the obstacles

Did it occur to you that maybe there hasnt been an update on the information that you require (for whatever reason) because it wouldnt actually be in their interest to? After reading through this thread it seems that you more than most people should understand some basic rules for promoters........ ie shout about the good things and wait in silence until the bad things pass while ploughing on

Anyone who has invested blood sweat and tears should be able to relate to their situation and the probablity that as they have come this far they are unlikely to throw in the towel so easily..... I am sure that progress will be announced when they are ready to announce it. In the mean time do you think you are helping them?

I have to agree with shazzybird here speedyguy....... I am suprised that bone still exists considering the amount of time you have been chewing it and this is starting to look like a bit more than an 'interest' in Spanish Speedway

I think it is fair to say that the project has had its problems so far and I cant even imagine what the Paines have had to go through to get to where they are now... let alone how hard they have already worked to get to where they want to be despite the obstacles

Did it occur to you that maybe there hasnt been an update on the information that you require (for whatever reason) because it wouldnt actually be in their interest to? After reading through this thread it seems that you more than most people should understand some basic rules for promoters........ ie shout about the good things and wait in silence until the bad things pass while ploughing on

Anyone who has invested blood sweat and tears should be able to relate to their situation and the probablity that as they have come this far they are unlikely to throw in the towel so easily..... I am sure that progress will be announced when they are ready to announce it. In the mean time do you think you are helping them?

If one is not expected to question the results of a track promoter-town council meeting scheduled for early April, then why was the meeting publicised by the potential promoter in the first case?

If one is not expected to question the results of a track promoter-town council meeting scheduled for early April, then why was the meeting publicised by the potential promoter in the first case?

If there is anyone on the forum with fluency in Spanish, perhaps we could contact the Mayor and ask him.

Adios Amigos!

I agree with spook and shazzybird. Speedyguy, you do seem to come across as being a little obsessed with this outcome.

Maybe, though with the best intentions things have not quite worked as these people have planned. Of course, they may have changed their minds or direction. Perhaps, they are just staying quiet until they have something positive to report for the time being. Hassling them or inviting others to do the same, is not going to change the outcome.

I feel sorry for anyone that says I will 'get back to you' in due course.

If there is anyone on the forum with fluency in Spanish, perhaps we could contact the Mayor and ask him.

I am, but I wouldn't have any faith in Spanish government :blink:

Just to let you know that Russ’s and Claire’s web site, - http://www.motospeedway-espana.com/ has been updated. I’ve been dying to answer some of mutleys's dog-with-a-bone questions but have held back because its not my place to do so, but, as you will see mutley, AKA speedguy, as you so wrongly stated " Even Spanish officialdom does not move that slowly”. Well yes, ‘Mr-expert-on-everything’ I think you will find it does.

Steve Ribbons.

I went to the Speedway meeting in Majorca in the early 1970's It was held just outside Palma at a place called San Pardo. The meeting was won easily by Marshall Pugh. I think all the Spanish riders were complete novices. The crowd was good round about 7000 although there never was another meeting.

I think spanish speedway would never work but i think we need to look at speedway more in the usa.

I am still trying to find out what happened at the mentioned meeting between Russell Paine and the local town council (April 8 2008). I have sent an email to this address which bounced back, nor reply to phone calls - don't seem to be correct - and I will be writing a letter today. Anyone else care to also try? The details are:

Motospeedway España

Apartado De Correos # 193

Puerto Lumbereras

Murcia 30890

Spain

Tel: 0034 670 609 760

Tel: 0044 (0)7904 234022

info@motospeedway-espana.com

It's your bone you gnaw on it!!!! I'll wait til you post your reply or Russell updates the website again :rolleyes:

I have just seen this elsewhere on the forum but thought it would be intresting here:

Sandie

Today, 10:39 AM

Post #1

Group: Members

Member No.: 4461

Sorry if this has been posted already but couldnt see it.

This afternoons edition of Living in the Sun is:

'SPEEDWAY - Nadia Sawalha meets Russell Payne and Claire Evans who are trying to set up a speedway track in Spain'

I know its an repeat and things have moved on but maybe worth wtaching.

--------------------

Im special and still have a straw to prove it!! ................

My members met list- post no 1587!!;;;;;;;;

SWERVE RACEWEAR........SWERVE RACEWEAR........SWERVE RACEWEAR