British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
miro

Cheetahs And Dons

I noticed in the Conference part of the forum mention of 80 something former Oxford and Wimbledon rider Jim Gregory. What he was doing there I don't know.

Just wondered idly how many other riders both tracks shared?

Ron How, Jim Tebby, Alf Hagon, Jim Gregory, Leo McAuliffe, Todd Wiltshire, Jamie Luckhurst, John Dews, Roy Trigg, John Bishop, Roger Johns, Jim Coy, Dennis Gray, Tony Clarke ... anymore?

Edited by miro

andy grahame and didnt john davis ride for oxford early in his career :unsure:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

andy grahame and didnt john davis ride for oxford early in his career :unsure:

Yes he did. Also, Ali Stevens, Colin Ackroyd (1 match for Wimbledon in 1978), Garry Middleton, Gordon Kennett, Simon Wigg (1 match in 1981), Trevor Geer (who along with Steve Weatherley "transferred" to the Dons after White City's season had finished), Steve Weatherley (2 matches for Oxford in 1975), John Barker (1 match in 1978), Nigel Sparshott, Alan Johns (1 match for Oxford in 1974), Bob Dugard (Oxford 1960).

Steve

I noticed in the Conference part of the forum mention of 80 something former Oxford and Wimbledon rider Jim Gregory. What he was doing there I don't know.

Just wondered idly how many other riders both tracks shared?

Ron How, Jim Tebby, Alf Hagon, Jim Gregory, Leo McAuliffe, Todd Wiltshire, Jamie Luckhurst, John Dews, Roy Trigg, John Bishop, Roger Johns, Jim Coy, Dennis Gray, Tony Clarke ... anymore?

I didn't know Alf Hagon rode for the Dons!

Yes he did. Also, Ali Stevens, Colin Ackroyd (1 match for Wimbledon in 1978), Garry Middleton, Gordon Kennett, Simon Wigg (1 match in 1981), Trevor Geer (who along with Steve Weatherley "transferred" to the Dons after White City's season had finished), Steve Weatherley (2 matches for Oxford in 1975), John Barker (1 match in 1978), Nigel Sparshott, Alan Johns (1 match for Oxford in 1974), Bob Dugard (Oxford 1960).

Steve

I dont recall Bob Dugard riding for Oxford, but I remember his first ever ride at Oxford as

No' 8 for New Cross. He came out of the 4th bend horizontal on his bike and nearly cleared

the track marshalls on the centre green.

I also remember seeing him after the match in an immaculat pin-striped suit. God that was nearly 50 years ago!!!

I didn't know Alf Hagon rode for the Dons!

Yes he did according to my list he rode in 1955, 56 and 57

How could I forget Garry Middleton!

Was anything ever discovered to confirm the rumour of his suicide that went around a few years ago?

Is Gary Middleton dead ???

Is Gary Middleton dead ???

I'd heard the rumours too, and even asked Dave Lanning if he knew anything, but we could never get anything confirmed.

Steve

I'd heard the rumours too, and even asked Dave Lanning if he knew anything, but we could never get anything confirmed.

Steve

This rumour has gone around for several years now, but what is amazing is that not a single

person on this very large forum knows where he is, or what happened to him. Dave Lanning should know, as he was with him for most of gary's British career and I find it hard to believe that they lost complete contact.

Just hope the rumours were not true!

Can't someone find out-this is really weird.

Can't someone find out-this is really weird.

Why don't you have a try? :rolleyes:

Trevor Geer (who along with Steve Weatherley "transferred" to the Dons after White City's season had finished), Steve Weatherley (2 matches for Oxford in 1975)

I must admit I never knew that Steve Weatherley had ridden for Wimbledon... What year was this..?? :unsure:

Bringing things much more up to date, Grant MacDonald & Danny Betson rode for Oxford last year (in what looks like being the Cheetahs last season) having done likewise for the Dons in '05, their last campaign. :cry:

And the same applies to a rider who will NOT share the place of affection in Wimbledon fans' hearts that Grant & Danny rightly have: New Zealander, Andrew Bargh. :rolleyes:

Bit-part Dons (but Dons, nonetheless in the '02-'05 period), Chris Mills and Chris Johnson have also ridden for Oxford and so 'count' on this ever-growing list!!!

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Hi speedyguy-don't know where to start, I'm floating out here in planet Canada and there seems to be folk more plugged in to these things in UK-good thought tho'!!