British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Wayne Briggs

Whatever happened to Wayne-great PL rider-came 2nd I think in 1963 PL RC-is he still around??

Whatever happened to Wayne-great PL rider-came 2nd I think in 1963 PL RC-is he still around??

Wayne was a class act almost as soon as he arrived here in 1961, and by the following year was starting to reel off maximums. The remarkable thing about that is that it has subsequently been claimed that he had never actually ridden a speedway bike before he arrived in Edinburgh!

However, he was terribly injury-prone and that's what put paid to a potentially great career. I remember him running into Doug Templeton one night at Meadowbank; the result was two broken wrists.

I last saw him ride at Newport in about 1970/71 (although I'm damned if I can remember whether he rode for the home team or the visitors - Wembley, maybe.

Wayne had a very bad crash at Somerton Park in 1964. I remember reading in the

Newport Speedway magazine called Waspland Whisperings it was an interview with his brother Barry and he said that the frame of his bike had broke that’s what caused his crash.

It was the worst crash that I witnessed at Somerton. He was out for about 2years before he rode again.

BL Career

WAYNE BRIGGS Edinburgh(65),Poole(66),Exeter(67,68,71),Coatbridge(69),Wembley(70)

BL Career

WAYNE BRIGGS Edinburgh(65),Poole(66),Exeter(67,68,71),Coatbridge(69),Wembley(70)

frigbo,

How many meetings did Wayne ride in 1965 for Edinburgh?

I thought he missed the 1965 season.

frigbo,

He rode in 6 ( 3 home and 3 away), averaging 4.42

The remarkable thing about that is that it has subsequently been claimed that he had never actually ridden a speedway bike before he arrived in Edinburgh!

That's certainly what Barry says in his autobiography.

Steve

I think I saw Wayne involved in a bad accident in Newport in 1964-perhaps a Britain v Overseas Test Match--and I think he was never the same after

Yes Bob he was riding for an overseas team the night of his accident.

Thanks for the info frigbo I thought he missed the 1965 season but there again it was 44 years ago this year Lol.

So has anyone any up to date info on how Wayne is.

Guess we must have been in the same crowd that night Railway End-hard to believe its that long ago.

There is a portrait photo of Wayne in the Poole section on this website.

Of course,theres plenty of Barry in Saints section!

http://www.classicspeedway.co.uk/gallery.htm

And many of those photos (including the one of Wayne) are mine! I think I also have one of him in Wembley colours.

Steve

Guess we must have been in the same crowd that night Railway End-hard to believe its that long ago.

Hi Bob, yes I was sitting over by the start that night right opposite to where Wayne crashed

frigbo,

There is an article about him in the Speedway Star May 31, 1968. It says he rode in six matches in 1965 but had a thigh injury and wasn't able to ride again that season. I've read that he retired in 1972 because of shoulder problems. On the Taranaki History Speedway site it says he is now living in Malaga, Spain http://www.historicspeedway.co.nz/personalities.htm

Edited by peterh7

There is an article about him in the Speedway Star May 31, 1968. It says he rode in six matches in 1965 but had a thigh injury and wasn't able to ride again that season. I've read that he retired in 1972 because of shoulder problems. On the Taranaki History Speedway site it says he is now living in Malaga, Spain

That’s interesting Peterh7 now can you tell BOBBATH and myself where Bob Hughes Is living Lol.