British Speedway Forum
Railway End

Punch Up's

Cant believe no one has mentioned the Craig Boyce and Gollob incident, now that was funny!!!!

Cant believe no one has mentioned the Craig Boyce and Gollob incident, now that was funny!!!!

I can remember saying to my brother when Boycie was walking back to the pits he was going to lamp him one,and he duly obliged :lol:

Jeez,so many years ago :rolleyes:

the funniest bit was gollob giving it the dying swan act like some big old drama queen :wink: speaking of gollob this wasnt a punch up but who remembers the GP when whilst hammering down the straight full pelt for no reason whatsoever yer man reaches out and grabs henka gustafssons haw maws :lol:

another that hasnt been mentioned was the stramash that followed at newport after will beveridge and emil lindqvist had a set to

Edited by mervjankefanclub

the funniest bit was gollob giving it the dying swan act like some big old drama queen :wink: speaking of gollob this wasnt a punch up but who remembers the GP when whilst hammering down the straight full pelt for no reason whatsoever yer man reaches out and grabs henka gustafssons haw maws :lol:

another that hasnt been mentioned was the stramash that followed at newport after will beveridge and emil lindqvist had a set to

Probably out of embarrasment the last bit mjfc :lol:

How the hell is the PL pairs any sort of entertainment compared to a Wasps v Tigers clash at the Meadows? :lol:

The Templetons were a couple of my favourite riders,even though i hardly got to see them.During harvesting time i think they hardly done away meetings(?) :unsure:

It's a long time ago Iris, but I don't remember them missing meetings. In any case I think they were mainly sheep farmers, so maybe the lambing season kept them fairly busy.

It wasn't the Start Marshall. :rolleyes: .... it was a track raker that dragged Mitch off the track by the scruff of his collar, Mitch had been run wide into the fence by a Poole rider. Mitch was winded at the time the track raker dragged him off the track with Mitch still flat on is back.... Bugger that! :angry:

Regards.

seeing him do the same thing to the Start Marshall at Poole........I think

I remember a big punch up at a Hackney -v- Stoke match in the late 80's. I think Louis Carr and Gary Tagg were involved in an on-track incident and then all and sundry got involved!

I remember that too.................Louis Carr tried to be the big hard man, until Gary Rolls decided to back up his team mate. :wink:

i remember andy galvin trying to start something with wee martin mckinna after a race at shawfield one year until big brother kenny who was about to go on his lap of honour after winning the heat spotted it and did a u turn at which point galvin thought better of it and was off like a shot back to the pits :wink:

i remember andy galvin trying to start something

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

i know shazzy i should have added not for the first time :wink:

I grew up with Andy that's why I find that comment amusing :lol::wink:

I grew up with Andy that's why I find that comment amusing :lol::wink:

he was a right cocky wee b^stard really full of himself :lol: one helluva rider though i used to love watching him when the kestrels then the hawks visited in fact i am pretty sure he was fined heavily at blantyre one year for storming the referees box he must have been still just a teenager at the time aswell happy days dont see enough of that these days in my opinion :wink:

Belle Vue V Leicester 197? classic mass punch up, match abandoned. quite a night !

It's hard to believe we've reached nearly fifty posts on the subject of punch-ips and the name "Templeton" has no featured yet!

I was at the most remarkable punch-up in speedway history back in the 1970s at Rayleigh. The visiting Berwick team featured both Templeton brothers, Doug and Willie. Rayleigh had a Kiwi newcomer called Ivan Miller, who I think was a former scrambles champion.

Somewhere around heat 10 an over-exuberant Ivan Miller knocked Willie off on the second lap and the referee allowed the race to continue. As Miller came round the pits bend on lap 3 he found Doug, who had vaulted the safety fence, standing in mid-track waiting for him. Miller attempted to ride past him, but Doug threw himself at man and machine and wrestled him to the ground. Summary justice was then extracted.

In forty-odd years of watching speedway I've never seen anything quite like it, and I don't suppose I ever will again. I had a discussion a few years back about this incident with Dick Barrie who was also there; he tells me that they ended up the best of mates in the bar afterwards. I don't think Ivan Miller ever came back for a second British season though.

Talking of Berwick no one has mentioned Rog Grant snr,remember back in the Berrington Lough days any Berwick rider who had another rider off would always come and sit next to Granty in the pits.I can remember him having a punch up with a Newport rider,Scott Smith I think after he had his son off,also a rider from the past who wasnt shy of a fight was Carl Askew.

howz about Steve Gresham and Briggo after Steve brought Tony Briggs down? i heard tell it looked like a cage fighting championship, with Steve gettin the edge in the end due to bein younger.. :lol: