British Speedway Forum
Railway End

Punch Up's

Re Briggo/Gresham which I recall reading about-which track did that occur at-also Gresham was a tough guy-did he knock out Briggo-or were they separated and it was a tie on points!!

Re Briggo/Gresham which I recall reading about-which track did that occur at-also Gresham was a tough guy-did he knock out Briggo-or were they separated and it was a tie on points!!

Reading i believe. heard tell Briggo cold cocked Gresham but it went to the ground with Gresham on top befor it got broken up by about 20 people in the pits. Not takin anything away from Briggo, he was 20 years older and gave a good account of himself and makes us old fellas proud. a man not to be messed about. bet he is still as tough as ever. but.. i hear Gresh got the better of him by an inch.. :lol:

Gresh had a go at alot of riders, very very short tempered, he had Briggo by the throat on the floor. Also punched John Davis off his bike in full flight - lethal ! Almost put Nigel Boocock in hospital one night because he `got in the way` and that was his riding partner. (at Bristol) ...... Also the rider with the surname Tockz or something like that, he nearly killed him !

Gresh had a go at alot of riders, very very short tempered, he had Briggo by the throat on the floor. Also punched John Davis off his bike in full flight - lethal ! Almost put Nigel Boocock in hospital one night because he `got in the way` and that was his riding partner. (at Bristol) ...... Also the rider with the surname Tockz or something like that, he nearly killed him !

outside of bein a talented racer, he was a great enforcer for any team when the money was right. funny enough, hear tell he is really a nice fella if ya dont tick him off. and if ya do, ya had to knock him out if ya wanted him to stop beatin ya in to next week. i think he must be part australian.. :lol:

Andrzej Tkocz, a Pole who spent a couple of seasons at Poole around 1979-80.

Yeah right!! :wink::lol:

Sometimes Kevvie even I can see straight through your smilies :approve:

gresh liked to fight with no helmet on. plus he was very adept at punching somebody sucessfully in the eyes even when wearing a helmet.. he had pretty good aim i reckon.. :approve:

I remember Rob Grant Snr at Berrington, would've been 86/87 and i'm pretty sure it was Eric Monaghan that took him off on the 3rd/4th bends, well, if Granty wasn't waiting for him when he came back round to get back to the pits and smacked him one with his helmet still on!!!

Half the pits and centre green staff were over trying to sort it out, i remember i was sitting over in the wee stand on the back straight but when this kicked off we flew over to the 3rd/4th bend for a better view of proceedings :lol:

gresh liked to fight with no helmet on. plus he was very adept at punching somebody sucessfully in the eyes even when wearing a helmet.. he had pretty good aim i reckon.. :approve:

Hee hee, sounds like him, I used to love watching him at Eastville, Bristol. He was forever being excluded, cutting people up, knocking them off etc. What a charachter! Made me wonder how he made a living from it ..... Sandman - it sounds like you knew him personally?

Hee hee, sounds like him, I used to love watching him at Eastville, Bristol. He was forever being excluded, cutting people up, knocking them off etc. What a charachter! Made me wonder how he made a living from it ..... Sandman - it sounds like you knew him personally?

i got his autograph once or twice. anyway, he was good to watch, and sure could get the crowd fired up. i remember one time seein him run across the the center green during the races to use the bathroom in an emergency because he ate some english version of mexican food a few hours before. i think he got excluded under the two minute rule. great stuff. :lol:

Neil Collins and the late Wayne Garrett had a big set to at Cradley one year, 91 I think it was.

Also remember some fighting between Belle Vue and Wolves fans outside the Chieftain Stand in 1989. Stood there amazed at it, I was only 10 at the time.

i seem to remember gresh sorting billy sanders and john berry once at the height of the crump - sanders wars in early 80s.

gresh was the rider that got me interested in speedway, got wiped by ian cartwright, no moaning, no whining, just got back up and clattered him in the re run coming out of turn 2.