British Speedway Forum
Railway End

Punch Up's

i seem to remember gresh sorting billy sanders and john berry once at the height of the crump - sanders wars in early 80s.

JB mentions that in one of his books. Apparently Gresh caught him one near his clods, and left a big bruise.

i seem to remember gresh sorting billy sanders and john berry once at the height of the crump - sanders wars in early 80s.

gresh was the rider that got me interested in speedway, got wiped by ian cartwright, no moaning, no whining, just got back up and clattered him in the re run coming out of turn 2.

dont think Gresh would have gotten the better of Billy. A draw at best, but unlikely.. Billy was tougher than most.

Remember Rob Tilbury involved in a stramash at Ipswich in 1989, can't remember the Ipswich rider he was involved with but he tried to pull him off his bike after the race and then the usual fisticuffs in the pits.Sure a few others got involved as the pits at Ipswich weren't the hardest to get access to in those days!!!

Berrington wasn't always the nicest of places to go to.Martin Scarisbrick got threatened by a rake wielding member of the track staff as he lay injured during a Newcastle match in 1983.

The Peter Oakes incident at Shawfield was him thinking Grieves had knocked off one of the Panthers(could've been Pedersen), when it had actually been Jesper Olsen!!! Peter didn't know Grieves did boxing training either!!!

Edited by DW

Remember Rob Tilbury involved in a stramash at Ipswich in 1989, can't remember the Ipswich rider he was involved with but he tried to pull him off his bike after the race and then the usual fisticuffs in the pits.Sure a few others got involved as the pits at Ipswich weren't the hardest to get access to in those days!!!

Wasn't it Pete Chapman who Tilbury had a scuffle with?

Wasn't it Pete Chapman who Tilbury had a scuffle with?

I think you may be right

Kelvin Mullarkey V Eric Monaghan 3rd bend at Rye

Was Jack Millen actually an angel then? surely he had a fight with someone?????

Edited by westhamboy66

Steve Gresham,Peter Prinsloo and Kevin Smith all hard bastards not affraid to mix it.

I remember Gresham and Smith knocking seven bells out of each other in the pits at Reading one night.Kev beat the hell out of Rick Miller at Poole one night and had to say sorry at the parade the next week.

I can remember Mitch Shirra giving Arthur Browning a headbutt while Arthur still had his helmet on at the old Perry Barr.

It was quite funny actually cos Mitch is a right little squirt & Browning towered over him but it did n't stop him

Also remember Gary Guglielmi doing exactly the same to one of the Verner's at Exeter, can't remember if it was Vaclav or Jan.

I remember Kevin Smith losing it and going for Kelvin Mullarkey on the track at Rye House. The funny thing of course was that they were both on the same team :lol: (Kelvin had been third, holding Smithy up and had then fallen, causing Kevin to have to lay his bike down, hence the red mist)

Makes what BJ did on Friday night against Belle Vue look like exactly what it was, a storm in a tea cup.

Edited by psymon

When I was chatting to Uncle Ted the other day I mentioned about this thread to him and he said he remembers loads from the 70's / 80's but the one that came to mind straight away was when Danny Kennedy took him out in a race, when they got back to the pits Uncle Ted was sat on his tool box calming down Danny came back into the pits and just got on with his business this got right up Uncs. nose so he went over to him and said something to him Danny just looked at him as Uncle Ted walked back over to his bike he thought to himself "he never even apologised" so with that off came the steel shoe and that was it all hell let lose!

Glad I didn't inherit his temper :rolleyes::lol:

I seem to remember an incident not many years ago involving Scott Nicholls and Nicki Pedersen (!!), in the early days of their careers. Pedersen had been very hard on Nicholls during the race and had nearly had him off on quite a few occasions. After they went over the finish line with Pedersen first and Nicholls second, as they were supposed to be slowing down, Scott picked up speed, rode alongside side him and then slightly passed him and then flicked his back wheel out, causing Pedersen to fall. Nicki jumped up (unusually) and ran off towards Nicholls with his fists flying. Unfortunately for Nicki, Scott's dad Tommy met Nicki first!! That was so funny.

I seem to remember an incident not many years ago involving Scott Nicholls and Nicki Pedersen (!!), in the early days of their careers. Pedersen had been very hard on Nicholls during the race and had nearly had him off on quite a few occasions. After they went over the finish line with Pedersen first and Nicholls second, as they were supposed to be slowing down, Scott picked up speed, rode alongside side him and then slightly passed him and then flicked his back wheel out, causing Pedersen to fall. Nicki jumped up (unusually) and ran off towards Nicholls with his fists flying. Unfortunately for Nicki, Scott's dad Tommy met Nicki first!! That was so funny.

was that the same meeting when the racing was held up whilst the police went about there business?

ive mentioned it once before but the all time classic was vaclav verner chasin middlo around the pits at poole with a hammer in his hand yellin "I kill him!"...this came the week after gugleami cold cocked verner at coventry so he was in a foul mood for sure. laughed my ass off i did, funniest thing i ever saw. i was in the stands, jumped the fence, and said, vaclav, drop the hammer.. you dont wanna kill middlo, we love him.. that would be bad. drop the hammer.... dropppp the hammer vaclav. breathe, deep breaths. he may deserve killin after the dirty so and so fenced ya the way he did, but drop... the hammer.. :lol:

I still remember the time up at Oxford in the early 80's, started out as just Hans Nielsen and Sam Ermolenko having a set to, then a hell let lose with every rider, mechanic and track hand joining in from all angles! Middlo's mechanic was being dragged back dwon the pits by two of the track staff so Middlo jumped them! it was carnage for a while, with Michael Lee sitting on the wall next to me arms folded watching it all ....................

An image I shall never forget! :blink:

was that the same meeting when the racing was held up whilst the police went about there business?

Nope, think that incident was somewhere in Norfolk!!!