British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Parsloes 1928 nearly

16 Heat Format: Record Score(s)

Still looking back at appearances of Chris Hunt at God's own Speedway track, tucked away in the railway lands of the London Borough of Bexley (you know, that lot you pay your Council Tax to, Mr.Williams!! :wink: ) - my attention came to rest on the match Crayford vs. Milton Keynes on 26/10/1982.

The mighty Kestrels produced 13 heat maximums (like they'd done in record-breaking style a couple of years earlier against Workington!! :approve: ) but this time it was in the 16 heat format. The score was 76-20 (Chris scoring two for the hapless Knights..)

Now, I annotated my prog. at the time to call this as the record score under the 16 heat format..

But was it..:at that time or subsequently..?? :unsure:

TBH, I can't recall how long this 16 heat format lasted - 1982 was its first year in the NL, that I do know.

So WAS this match another record for the Kestrels at the time; and was it later surpassed..?? :unsure:

There was a Chris Hunt who represented Isle of Wight in 2001, some 17 years after 'your' Chris rode for Milton Keynes........are they related?

Now, I annotated my prog. at the time to call this as the record score under the 16 heat format..

But was it..:at that time or subsequently..?? :unsure:

TBH, I can't recall how long this 16 heat format lasted - 1982 was its first year in the NL, that I do know.

So WAS this match another record for the Kestrels at the time; and was it later surpassed..?? :unsure:

the sixteen heat NL format was used in 1982,1983,1988 and 1989 parsloes dont recall any team hitting the magical 80 mark or even 79 but im pretty sure 78 was reached by a few clubs ellesmere port is one that springs to mind and the power packed diamonds of 82 and 83 must have racked up a few scores in the high 70s :unsure:

The mighty Kestrels produced 13 heat maximums (like they'd done in record-breaking style a couple of years earlier against Workington!! :approve: ) but this time it was in the 16 heat format. The score was 76-20 (Chris scoring two for the hapless Knights..)

Am I right in thinking that Bristol scored a maximum 5-1 in every heat using a 16-heat format sometime in the 30s or 40s? Seem to remember my dad mentioning that to me, years ago.

Edited by AndyM

Am I right in thinking that Bristol scored a maximum 5-1 in every heat using a 16-heat format sometime in the 30s or 40s? Seem to remember my dad mentioning that to me, years ag.

dont know if it was a sixteen heat format andy it may have been the fourteen but i am pretty certain it was against the stripes :mad::P

Edited by mervjankefanclub

the power packed diamonds of 82 and 83 must have racked up a few scores in the high 70s :unsure:

Newcastle racked up five scores of over 70 in 1982, the best being 74-22 over Oxford. The highest score in 1982 was Crayford's 76-20 win over Milton Keynes .

Newcastle didn't manage any 70 point scores in 1983. The best that year was again by Crayford who beat Stoke 73-23.

Exeter matched the 76-20 scoreline in 1989 with a win over Arena Essex.

Bristol beat Glasgow White City by a maximum 70-14 in 1949 under the 14 heat format.

Edited by norbold

Newcastle racked up five scores of over 70 in 1982, the best being 74-22 over Oxford. The highest score in 1982 was Crayford's 76-20 win over Milton Keynes .

Newcastle didn't manage any 70 point scores in 1983. The best that year was again by Crayford who beat Stoke 73-23.

Exeter matched the 76-20 scoreline in 1989 with a win over Arena Essex.

Excellent!!

So, Crayford then had the distinction of the biggest ever wins in the both the 13 heats and 16 heats format!! :approve:

Happy Days!!! :lol:

The Bristol match was 70 - 14 against Glasgow White City and they also beat Norwich 69 - 15; Norwich beat Fleetwood 69 - 15 also. These were all 14 heat matches.

I think the record score was in the National Trophy - Wimbledon beat Stoke 89 - 19 over 18 heats wasn't it?

Just exactly how many maximum wins has there been?

Scunthorpe recorded one over Newport a couple of years ago, likewise K Lynn did the same to Sheffield last year.

I remember Boston having 12 5-1's v Scunthorpe many years ago, the 4-2 happened when a home rider had an EF.

didnt exeter record one against rye house :unsure: a few seasons back because i am pretty sure they almost repeated the feat against glasgow the following week when guest scott swain became a tigers folk hero by snatching a second place :approve:

Exeter had one against Arena Essex too..: a couple of years before the Rye House one you mention...

These were in the 15 heat format - so don't affect Crayford's double record of having the top scores in the 13 & 16 heat format.. :approve:

didnt exeter record one against rye house :unsure: a few seasons back because i am pretty sure they almost repeated the feat against glasgow the following week when guest scott swain became a tigers folk hero by snatching a second place :approve:

You've got your seasons mixed up slightly there!!!

The Arena match was in the PT(or equivalent competition) and the following week it was Glasgow in the league(I was there!!!),It was either 2000 or 2001.

The Rye House one was in 2004 and the score was 75-18(2 TRs and a GD).

Glasgow suffered a few thrashings at the County Ground,that 74-16 match(Tigers record defeat), in 1997 they lost 72-18(?)(unfortunately I saw that one also!) and in 1982 it was 73-23.The last two also being record defeats.

1990 also had the 16 heat formula(still one of the best in my opinion)

And on the subject of maximum scores almost being repeated (and on the sub-plot of 'bigging-up' Crayford..!! :wink: ), it should be noted that a year after the 65-12 whitewash of Workington, the Comets narrowly averted an identical humiliation at London Rd..

The result on 4/8/81 in the NL was, this time: Crayford 63 Workington 15!!! :approve:

Going back to my era of 13 heats any whitewashes in the PL/BL era of the sixties.I remember a 64-14 Wolves v. Newport in October 1965-and Newport had a good team too!! But don't recollect any 65-13's!!

Right, so what have been the ‘maximum’ wins over the years in the various formats??

Seems we’ve identified the following:

14 heats format:

Bristol 70 - Glasgow White City 14 (NL) (1949)

13 heats format

Crayford 65 Workington 12 (NL) (15/7/80) :approve:

15 heats format

Exeter 75 Arena Essex 15 (PL) (2000)

Exeter 75 Rye House 18* (PL) (2004)

Scunthorpe 75 Newport 15 (CL) (2006)

King’s Lynn 75 Sheffield 15 (was it PT?) (2007)

* 18 points coz then the double points rule could apply to a third place in a 5-1..

No maxs in the 18 heat or 16 heat format.

Best scores:

18 heats format:

Wimbledon 89 Stoke 19 (NT) (1953)

16 heat format:

Crayford 76 Milton Keynes 20 (NL) (26/10/82) :approve:

Exeter 76 Arena Essex 20 (1989)

Any more for any more..?? :unsure:

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly