British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Don Cuppleditch

I never had the privilege of seeing Don race.My understanding is that he raced for Edinburgh in early fifties-was a top liner in Div 2 and turned down opportunities to race in Div 1. Then when Edinburgh closed he moved to Belle Vue in Div 1 -but was a good middle order guy at best then retired. Is that about right-anybody have any other info on him e.g. good or bad gater, tough or easy to deal with,fair or unfair. When he was born-has he died etc etc

Amazed nobody has posted to this thread-thought Norbold/Starghost/Brian Hamilton would have remembered-but are you all younger than I think!!!????I guess Don has faded from memory.

A little before my time, Bobbath, but I have read a few snippets over the years about Don.

He was a Yorkshireman, and I believe he was by profession a confectioner, but I certainly can't swear to that.

He certainly rode for Monarchs in the late 40s/early 50s though.

Edited by Ian

Rode for Edinburgh 1948 - 54, then Belle Vue briefly.

Nickname was "The Candy Kid" because he was a confectioner.

Is Don still alive-anyone know???Guys like Don should not be forgotten.

So as not to dissapoint "our fans" I saw Don ride for the Edinburgh Monarchs a few times when they came to the Firs here in Norwich. Don was, from memory, a solid second string for his team. From Peter Morrish listings Don scored 6 points in 1948, 173 in 1949, 187 in 1950, 137 in 1951. Of course the Monarchs top man was Jack Young during most of those years. In 1952 Don hit the top spot in the scorers with 336 and again in 1953 with 323.5. For 1954 Don moved to Belle Vue Aces and scored 54 points and rode for them again in 1955 when he scored 20. These figures are League match totals only but the Edinburgh Guru may have Don's full record. The Second Division had numerous riders such as Don. They always gave value for money. (or so it seems at 50+ years distance)

I can't remember seeing Don ride, but I do have a clipping from the Speedway Gazette,October 1954, which is a tribute to my old mate Johhny Greenwood when he rode for Edinburgh. Johnny was a bit of a tearaway and I quote from part of it

" At one time Don Cuppleditch was paired with the youngster- a move which no one quite approved of,particularly the tall Don.

Both of them were tall six footers and both liked to hug the white line as much as they could. Obviously they would not blend. But Frank Varey must have thought that this was the best idea for teaming up the rest of his lads best. So that was how it was.

To see these two "team ride" was one of the funniest things in speedway-unless you happened to have the interests of either of them at heart. They followed each other----- or rather the one followed the other practically a tyre's breadth behind the other.

This wasn't so bad when Cuppleditch was in the front-for Don is, and was, a steady slider. But when Johnny was the leader,everyone was on tenterhooks, especially Cuppleditch, who made every corner another milestone towards safety.

Certainly nobody went for tea when the Cuppleditch-Greenwood pairing were on the track! "

The article confirms what someone else has mentioned, that Don was a very steady rider. Cheers, Bill

So as not to dissapoint "our fans" I saw Don ride for the Edinburgh Monarchs a few times when they came to the Firs here in Norwich. Don was, from memory, a solid second string for his team. From Peter Morrish listings Don scored 6 points in 1948, 173 in 1949, 187 in 1950, 137 in 1951. Of course the Monarchs top man was Jack Young during most of those years. In 1952 Don hit the top spot in the scorers with 336 and again in 1953 with 323.5. For 1954 Don moved to Belle Vue Aces and scored 54 points and rode for them again in 1955 when he scored 20. These figures are League match totals only but the Edinburgh Guru may have Don's full record. The Second Division had numerous riders such as Don. They always gave value for money. (or so it seems at 50+ years distance)

Thanx barcroftlad-does anyone know if Don is still alive??Also is Johnny Greenwood still with us???

Thanx barcroftlad-does anyone know if Don is still alive??Also is Johnny Greenwood still with us???

Johnny is well and lives in Grimsby. We are in occasional contact and when I'm in UK we always get together for an ale or two.Cheers.

Don Cuppleditch is also still alive living in South Australia. Until recently he used to come over here for vintage car rallies and I had the pleasure of meeting him on one of these trips. He didn't quite have the lean facial features of his racing days but he still looked fine.

He scored 1284 league points for Monarchs 1948-54 and is our 14th hghest scorer of all time. In 1953 his average was 10.31.

Jim Henry has spoken to him recently regarding the Monarchs' 60th birthday celebrations but he has a bad back and can't travel now.

Johnny Greenwood though is coming up for the Monarchs' celebrations.

Don Cuppleditch is also still alive living in South Australia. Until recently he used to come over here for vintage car rallies and I had the pleasure of meeting him on one of these trips. He didn't quite have the lean facial features of his racing days but he still looked fine.

He scored 1284 league points for Monarchs 1948-54 and is our 14th hghest scorer of all time. In 1953 his average was 10.31.

Jim Henry has spoken to him recently regarding the Monarchs' 60th birthday celebrations but he has a bad back and can't travel now.

Johnny Greenwood though is coming up for the Monarchs' celebrations.

Thanx Al Stewart for updating us re Don-didn't realise he lived in Oz-glad he is still with us-how old do you reckon he is??

QUOTE (BOBBATH @ Apr 25 2008, 12:19 PM)

Johnny is well and lives in Grimsby. We are in occasional contact and when I'm in UK we always get together for an ale or two.Cheers.

Don't know if you'll see this but Don is alive, living in Adelaide, South Australia. I am his grand daughter.

Thanks Jess tell your grandpa many people still remember him-hope he(and you) are fine

• Like 1