British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

Maurie Mcdermott

Looking through the Peter Morrish listings Maury was with St Austell in 1950, Harringay 1951, Rayleigh 1952 through to 1957 when he also did some meetings for Oxford. In 1958 he rode for Poole in some matches. Maury resurfaced with Rayleigh in 1963 in the Provincial League when he was the Rockets top scorer in League matches. in 1964 he rode for Rayleigh in the aborted Metropolitan League

I have the British Speedway Handbook for the first BL season 1965.Maurie's picture is in it as part of an Exeter team pic, he rode in 25 BL matches and his CMA was 4.2. Think this would have been his last season.By the way are averages still calculated the same way -then it was points plus bonus points divided by number of rides, then multiplied by 4 e.g. in Maurie's case his ave per ride was 1.05 times 4 = 4.20. This was done because riders typically rode 4 times per match.Bryan Seery was the originator of this method I think??

More on Maurie.I have a Stenners 1952 annual( for the 1951 season) -there is a brief note on Maurie that says he was employed as a sorter in the Post Office when he started riding at training tracks e.g. Rye House.Its funny to see Maurie's picture of 1951 and then compare it to the 1965 one I alluded to earlier.Hope all this is of interest.By the way and this is for Brian Hamilton-the top average scorer for Exeter in 1965 was your old Oxford buddy Colin Gooddy followed by Jack Geran!! Guess they couldn't hold these old Oxford guys back!!!

I have the British Speedway Handbook for the first BL season 1965.Maurie's picture is in it as part of an Exeter team pic, he rode in 25 BL matches and his CMA was 4.2. Think this would have been his last season.By the way are averages still calculated the same way -then it was points plus bonus points divided by number of rides, then multiplied by 4 e.g. in Maurie's case his ave per ride was 1.05 times 4 = 4.20. This was done because riders typically rode 4 times per match.Bryan Seery was the originator of this method I think??

Yes, Bryan Seery was the man as far as averages went. He used to have a feature every week in Speedway Star - "Seery's Statistics". I think he was a maths teacher.

I once asked him how he managed all this data - remember, this was pre-calculator days. He told me that it was all done on paper, so he must have had a good arithmetical brain. A nice guy too.

Maurie rode for Oxford in 67 25matches @ ave 4.22, this I believe was his last season. Seem to

recall he also rode in 66.

Just in case anyone may be interested his home ave was 5.42 away 2.34.

Wasn't that Maurie Robinson?

And while we're on that subject, what nationality was he, please?

Maurie McDermott was definitely English-a Londoner I think. Also Ian- re Seery's stats-is the same method of calculation used today for Riders Averages??? By the way glad we are talking about Maurie-great to see his name mentioned and bet he would be tickled to hear of us picking over the bones of his long ago Speedway career.Thanx for bringing his name forward folks.

Maurie McDermott was definitely English-a Londoner I think. Also Ian- re Seery's stats-is the same method of calculation used today for Riders Averages??? By the way glad we are talking about Maurie-great to see his name mentioned and bet he would be tickled to hear of us picking over the bones of his long ago Speedway career.Thanx for bringing his name forward folks.

I am fairly certain that Maury McDermott came from the Battersea-Clapham area of south London. When I knew him from the late 1950s, besides his speedway career he also worked as an electrician. His main speedway rider pals were Stan Clark, Pat Flanagan and Al Holliday.

As has been mentioned, Maury died some years ago.

Maury Robinson was a Kiwi, I believe.

Thanks Sube, can anyone confirm this please?

Thanks Sube, can anyone confirm this please?

Funnily enough, I thought he may have been a New Zealander, but the Speedway Star Annual from both 1969 and 1970 list him as English.

Steve

OK folks(particularly dons67) I can confirm that Maurie rode in 1966 also. He rode for Oxford and his average was 25 meetings in BL with a CMA of 5.16.He seems to have improved over 1965-the question is -was 1967 his last ever season.If so his career spanned 16 years or so which isn't half bad.Anyone know when MM passed away??One of the unsung heroes of our sport.