British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Sgp Lost Sponsors

A few years ago the Grand Prix series use to have some really good sponsors around the air fence and on race jackets such as Castrol, Coca Cola, KFC, Fiat, Egg etc. Now the only two sponsors they have are Speedy Hire & Meridian Lifts. The rest of the airfence is taken up advertising upcomg GP's like Cardiff and the speedwayworld website address. Very poor, thought things werer going to get bigger with IMG.

If I owned one of the two companies you mentioned above for the amount of money they pay to have their name splashed on the fences I'd be right pee'd off if there were loads more on there!

QUOTE (Rob B @ Apr 28 2008, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A few years ago the Grand Prix series use to have some really good sponsors around the air fence and on race jackets such as Castrol, Coca Cola, KFC, Fiat, Egg etc. Now the only two sponsors they have are Speedy Hire & Meridian Lifts. The rest of the airfence is taken up advertising upcomg GP's like Cardiff and the speedwayworld website address. Very poor, thought things werer going to get bigger with IMG.

I've always thought the SGP to have a limited market, which is why it's continued to be run on the cheap and has never expanded as much as envisaged. I think Postlethwaite knew he was starting to see diminishing returns, which is why he sold out to IMG. I fail to understand though where it fits in IMG's portfolio, except as cheap filler programming for their sports television programmes.

If I owned one of the two companies you mentioned above for the amount of money they pay to have their name splashed on the fences I'd be right pee'd off if there were loads more on there!

Maybe Shazzy and Im sure those two companies are pleased with their maximum coverage.

However, I also commented on Saturday how the majority of banners around the track were for forthcoming GP's.

I think Rob missed a couple but overall the marketing of the event was poorly managed.

Im sure that other companies could see the benefits as Meridian Lifts and Speedy hire have - but have they been sourced?? :unsure:

Im sure that other companies could see the benefits as Meridian Lifts and Speedy hire have

Just what are the benefits? Who going to a GP thinks 'goodness I must get my lift serviced' or 'I've just remembered I need to hire an industrial compressor tomorrow'? :rolleyes:

Most other sports are in the main sponsored by companies whose products can be purchased by the average fan the next day. SGP sponsors come across as a handful of eclectic companies whose Managing Directors happen to be fans, or who're otherwise providing sponsorship in some sort of kind.

QUOTE (Rob B @ Apr 28 2008, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you class as good sponsors ? Coca cola and kfc were polish and supplied products only. Fiat and Egg paid but do you know how much. I do and it wasnt big money. Would you rush out and buy a fiat ? No as there rubbish and i dont want a card with a stupid name.

I agree with you that all the advertising of gp is a waste and pointless.

Maybe Shazzy and Im sure those two companies are pleased with their maximum coverage.

However, I also commented on Saturday how the majority of banners around the track were for forthcoming GP's.

I think Rob missed a couple but overall the marketing of the event was poorly managed.

Im sure that other companies could see the benefits as Meridian Lifts and Speedy hire have - but have they been sourced?? :unsure:

Not many companies are interested in speedway but maybe that will change in the future.

Just what are the benefits? Who going to a GP thinks 'goodness I must get my lift serviced' or 'I've just remembered I need to hire an industrial compressor tomorrow'? :rolleyes:

Most other sports are in the main sponsored by companies whose products can be purchased by the average fan the next day. SGP sponsors come across as a handful of eclectic companies whose Managing Directors happen to be fans, or who're otherwise providing sponsorship in some sort of kind.

There are many benefits, you go to all the g.p, best tickets,pit passes, food drink, lots of ticket to give clients and friends sell a few hundred thousand pounds of lifts including the bsi offices and its tax deductable. na cant think of any benefits. :lol:

Not many companies are interested in speedway but maybe that will change in the future.

Yeah league speedway is where it's happening :D

There are many benefits, you go to all the g.p, best tickets,pit passes, food drink, lots of ticket to give clients and friends sell a few hundred thousand pounds of lifts including the bsi offices and its tax deductable. na cant think of any benefits. :lol:

:lol:

Yeah league speedway is where it's happening :D

After watching and listening to that shower of rubbishe on Monday, I'd rather watch a GP than a League meeting anyday if that's what they are going to come up with each week :rolleyes:

What do you class as good sponsors ? Coca cola and kfc were polish and supplied products only. Fiat and Egg paid but do you know how much. I do and it wasnt big money. Would you rush out and buy a fiat ? No as there rubbish and i dont want a card with a stupid name.

I agree with you that all the advertising of gp is a waste and pointless.

How would you go about raising sponsorship and advertising revenues to help fund the event if you think it's all a waste of time, then? :blink:

Most advertising for those sorts of events is not about prompting people to rush out and buy the product (not true of KFC and CocaCola, obviously), but to ensure that either businesses or individuals retain the brand name in mind for when they do make purchasing decisions. It's about brand exposure and positive associations.

Cos it's not YOUR team woman!

Really??? although it's my "Local" team! and the fact that I've followed Edward Kennett and Lewis Bridger throughout their careers and Scott has always been a fav of mine, although not my top fav and if I'm going to watch any "live" speedway it will be at Eastbourne ..... so no it's not MY team but it's one I go to watch and one that I tipped for the League this year even before a wheel had turned, yet Monday night put a black cloud over that bet (temporary I hope).

Now back to the GP's you hate the GP's, you are not shy on telling the world how bad you think BSI/IMG has been for speedway. If you have nothing nice to say about them Trees say nothing at all :rolleyes:

There are many benefits, you go to all the g.p, best tickets,pit passes, food drink, lots of ticket to give clients

I'm sure that could still be done without sponsoring a GP, and probably for a significantly less money. If you feel you're getting a nice (albeit expensive) day out then that's great, but I'm not convinced mates scratching each others backs is the way forward for the sport.

Fiat and Egg paid but do you know how much. I do and it wasnt big money. Would you rush out and buy a fiat ? No as there rubbish and i dont want a card with a stupid name.

On this I agree with you. Personally I wouldn't buy anything from a company that splashes it's name around, because I think products should stand and fall on their merits rather on the basis of whether they happen to sponsor one's favourite sport.

sell a few hundred thousand pounds of lifts including the bsi offices

That would explain the GBP 250K recorded as being spent on fixtures and fittings then. :wink:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I'm sure that could still be done without sponsoring a GP, and probably for a significantly less money. If you feel you're getting a nice (albeit expensive) day out then that's great, but I'm not convinced mates scratching each others backs is the way forward for the sport.

HA answer me this if you could either buy yourself a property in the USA or sponsor a couple of GP's what would you rather do? :unsure: