British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Sgp Lost Sponsors

HA answer me this if you could either buy yourself a property in the USA or sponsor a couple of GP's what would you rather do?

I'd rather do neither. :D

Now back to the GP's you hate the GP's, you are not shy on telling the world how bad you think BSI/IMG has been for speedway. If you have nothing nice to say about them Trees say nothing at all

And you ALWAYS back them to the hilt Shazzy, why's that? Nah I'll keep banging the drums against em when I feel like it :D

:lol:

After watching and listening to that shower of rubbishe on Monday, I'd rather watch a GP than a League meeting anyday if that's what they are going to come up with each week :rolleyes:

Quite true, I now very very rarely watch any of the televised league matches, modern day Elite League Speedway is in general a borefest, either on TV or live at the track.

Like you I eagerly look forward to the GPs and am very rarely disappointed, the racing is usually first class. My enjoyment of the GPs is despite the fact that I have no particular affilliation with any rider or team.

The truth is the GP appeals to the wider sporting audience where league racing only appeals to the remaining few die hards (luddites) like Trees, vainly trying to cling on to past glories unable to see beyond the end of their noses

The truth is the GP appeals to the wider sporting audience where league racing only appeals to the remaining few die hards (luddites) like Trees,

You new GP loving fans forget that without the bloody leagues there'd be no riders for the GPs!!

You new GP loving fans forget that without the bloody leagues there'd be no riders for the GPs!!

No Elite League racing hasn't done Nicki Pedersen, Tomasz Gollob, Rune Holta, Greg Hancock etc any harm.

They can keep a good level of race sharpness competing in Leagues who embrace rather than fight againt the SGP.

The truth is the GP appeals to the wider sporting audience where league racing only appeals to the remaining few die hards (luddites) like Trees, vainly trying to cling on to past glories unable to see beyond the end of their noses

Aside from the fact that without the leagues there would be no SGP, the same riders riding against each other over-and-over again in individual competition is not speedway to me. It might as well be a separate sport, I think calling people luddites because they don't subscribe to the golden but hollow vision that it is the SGP, is a bit uncalled for.

Just where is the SGP going? In the 10 years or so since BSI took it over, it's still trawling round the same old venues in front of mostly small crowds, is using the same old tired format, and has failed to make any real breakthrough on the corporate side of things. The one success is that it gets reasonable viewing figures (by satellite television standards), but I bet the figures for league racing aren't that far behind either. It would be also interesting to compare this with viewing figures for the Polish and Swedish leagues as well.

They can keep a good level of race sharpness competing in Leagues who embrace rather than fight againt the SGP.

More fool them for helping line the pockets of a private company that puts little or nothing back into the sport as whole.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

More fool them for helping line the pockets of a private company that puts little or nothing back into the sport as whole.

They tried that and nearly closed Reading of course but never mind eh, let's all keep supporting them!

No Elite League racing hasn't done Nicki Pedersen, Tomasz Gollob, Rune Holta, Greg Hancock etc any harm.

I wonder if Hancock would be the rider he is now without GB cos he didn't sign in Poland or Sweden when he was a kid.

The GPs are bound to clash with Poland at some point then we'll see what happens! IF the GP start tapping into the good sponsors over in Poland that the league clubs have that might well go against the grain too! But of course IMG still rake in all the tv money from the world championship, they're ok whatever probably, all money which should be going to the leagues, helping to put league racing on a firm footing for the future imo. Of course at the end of the day we have to blame the dear old FIM for selling out to BSI in the first place instead of giving the rights to the sport of speedway.

They still need Poland and Sweden to fund their GP dreams....The pay for the GPs is disrespectful, so all 15 of the circus need the leagues as much as they need the GPs.

Yeah league speedway is where it's happening :D

Wouldnt know , dont go and dont watch it on tv much.

I'd rather do neither. :D

Sounds about right.

You only have to look at the crowds to see league racing in the uk is poorly supported. GPs are here to stay, can you say the same about league racing. B)

You only have to look at the crowds to see league racing in the uk is poorly supported. GPs are here to stay, can you say the same about league racing.

Christ you annoy me lol So you'll be totally happy to see the death of british league racing, bloody great, thank you very much indeedy!!

Christ you annoy me lol So you'll be totally happy to see the death of british league racing, bloody great, thank you very much indeedy!!

Christ is it still running then? thought it had died years ago :rolleyes:

Where's the "slap round the chops" smilie!! I'm not normally a violent person but you drive me to it! :shock:

If the end comes for League Racing it will also become the end for Grand Prix Meetings as well, because where will the new riders come from. Could not see many people going to Cardiff or other GP's if there was no league racing