British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

As said in previous posts her, the GP was a 'Horror Show; and the organisers are totally responsible for it!! There were numerous crashes and countless near misses (Greg Hancock).

To continue with the meeting with the track known to be in the condidtion at was, was a perfect

example of gross negligence and should be addressed with immediate effect.

Poor track and some poor decisions made lets hope lessons will be learnt, but lets not chuck the baby out with the bath water!

His official title is FIM Race Director, which I'd say tells us who appoints and employs him.

I think though, Olsen is very much the power behind the throne of the SGP. His concept, and he says what goes.

And to think people say the SGP is the future of the sport. :rolleyes:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I'm not sure on this, just seem to be recalling the early 90's when the Grand Prix was being concieved, but it was the plans of Ole Olsen which set them up and the FIM took these on to decide the World Championships.

Now I seem to remember something along the lines of Olsen having the patent of the plans for the GP Series and as such worked alongside the FIM to run the series with him having the major control.

I think when the Series took on a major promotional company like BSI or IMG, these took on some of the control, but Olsen still has a big slice of the cake and as an individual, holds more than any other person.

This may have changed, but the prinicipal is something like that in its original days.

I think though, Olsen is very much the power behind the throne of the SGP. His concept, and he says what goes.

His concept? Mmmm I'm not so sure! I was at the Press conference when the FIM officials announced the intention to switch from a one off World Final to a GP series the following year (as it happens there was a further year's delay so I attended the TWO 'last ever' World Finals!) and Ole was at that press conference along with a Danish TV crew and was a vociferous opponent, judging by his questions, of the proposed change in system.

I am not really advocating getting rid of Ole Olsen, but merely emphasising the resposibilities of

the organisers to ensure that the safety of the riders is paramount and on saturday there was little

or no regard to their safety at all.

The holes/ruts were there to be seen by everyone in the first 2 or 3 races!!!!

Ole was at that press conference along with a Danish TV crew and was a vociferous opponent, judging by his questions, of the proposed change in system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Olsen propose a GP series years previously? He may have opposed those particular FIM plans as he wasn't sufficient in on the deal, but given his later enthusiasm for the SGP, it would otherwise seem to have been a bit of an about turn.

I am not really advocating getting rid of Ole Olsen,

I am........ for too many years the flagship of speedway has had slick boring tracks dished up for the worlds best and for fans that have spent hundreds each per gp. What could possibly be the excuse for this? From where i'm sitting as a fan it does the sport no favours and only seems to suit those riders who were brought up on slick tracks and have gating skills (hmmmm)

Gone are the days where he would phone the ref and get a decision changed but he still exercises control in the wrong areas and when it comes to track preparation it is got wrong more times than it is got right

Ole appears to be very busy in the pits on race night and I am sure that there are sides to his job that he does very well....... but ensuring that the tracks are the best they possibly could be for the riders, the fans and the growth of the sport is not one of them!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Olsen propose a GP series years previously? He may have opposed those particular FIM plans as he wasn't sufficient in on the deal, but given his later enthusiasm for the SGP, it would otherwise seem to have been a bit of an about turn.

I think you are correct with this.Bryn has mentioned this press conference before,but i imagine a scenario just like you state was happening.

Anyway the "offficial" version of events as written out by Mr Rising were in an article in the German GP programme with the heading ...

One man's dream.Philip Rising talks to the man whose determination and foresight brought the FIM Speedway GP to life.

Maybe Bryn could take a guess at who that man is? :unsure:B)

Yes but Phillip Rising has no integrity whatsoever - wasn't he the leading campaigner against the GPs who jumped aboard the gravy train as soon as he could?

Edited by Subedei

And i guess todays news that Olsen has over-ruled Jan Steachmanns choice of wildcard for Parken is proof of the pudding,so to speak.

Making no comment on Mr Rising as i may need a press pass or 2 :rolleyes: