British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

The Two Ron Rons

Ron Schliebs rode six matches for Peterborough in 1982, and Ron Sharp thirteen for Long Eaton in 1965.

Does anyone know their nationality and d.o.b. please?

Both Aussies I believe, Kev.

How about Ron Cooper from Cradley 65/66 and Ron Edwards from Romford 1971..........can anyone help with these two please?

How about Ron Cooper from Cradley 65/66 and Ron Edwards from Romford 1971..........can anyone help with these two please?

I've got Ron Cooper as an Aussie, but can't help with the other one.

Could be wrong here Kev, it's Ron M. Cooper who's the Aussie, don't know if it's the same one.

Edited by Hellsgranny

Ron Schliebs rode six matches for Peterborough in 1982, and Ron Sharp thirteen for Long Eaton in 1965.

Does anyone know their nationality and d.o.b. please?

The only Ron Sharp I know of once lived in Slough. He had second-half rides at Harringay and New Cross in the early 1950s, and later rode in Southern Area League for California-in-England.

When the Provincial League started in 1960s he did have a spell with Stoke - not certain about his clubs after that. At one-time he was a protege of the former Southampton captain and then Liverpool rider George Bason.

Ron Sharp died a couple of years. By trade, Ron repaired shoes and hadf a business in Slough. He was a really nice chap. I respected him a lot.

The only Ron Sharp I know of once lived in Slough. He had second-half rides at Harringay and New Cross in the early 1950s, and later rode in Southern Area League for California-in-England.

When the Provincial League started in 1960s he did have a spell with Stoke - not certain about his clubs after that. At one-time he was a protege of the former Southampton captain and then Liverpool rider George Bason.

Ron Sharp died a couple of years. By trade, Ron repaired shoes and hadf a business in Slough. He was a really nice chap. I respected him a lot.

Indeed.

Ron Sharp – first rode at a Rye House training school where he became a protégé of George Bason. Signed to New Cross but never made a league appearance for them. Continued riding in the SAL and second-halving. Injury and the decline in tracks meant he didn't get a regular team place until the Provincial League era, when he rode for Stoke and Long Eaton.

Tears & Glory - The Winged Wheel Story, page 20

Incidentally one of my first customers at Smallmead said his father rode at California. I asked who, and he said Ron Sharp :)

Sorry to disagree with the "Winged Wheel" item but Ron Sharp did appear three times in 1952 for the New Cross Rangers in League matches

@ Harringay on 11 July he crashed in his first ride and was replaced in his second

@ Birmingham on 27 September he took two rides scoring a third place from his first beating Cecil Hookham

@ New Cross v Norwich Stars on 1 October he took two rides scoring two points in his first ride splitting Phil Clarke & Bill Codling

Ron was a regular second-half junior race winner during that season.

I think he also rode for Southampton in the late 50s as well as his S A L racing days with the Poppies

Edited by star ghost

Sorry to disagree with the "Winged Wheel" item but Ron Sharp did appear three times in 1952 for the New Cross Rangers in League matches

@ Harringay on 11 July he crashed in his first ride and was replaced in his second

@ Birmingham on 27 September he took two rides scoring a third place from his first beating Cecil Hookham

@ New Cross v Norwich Stars on 1 October he took two rides scoring two points in his first ride splitting Phil Clarke & Bill Codling

Ron was a regular second-half junior race winner during that season.

I think he also rode for Southampton in the late 50s as well as his S A L racing days with the Poppies

Not sure how I lost the 1952 appearances :angry:

He did ride a few matches for Southampton - in 1956.

I well recall Ron Sharp for Long Eaton in 65-I guess he was a veteran by then-a real trier tho'.

Thanks to everyone, you've been a great help. :approve:

HG........I think your Ron Cooper may be the one who rode for Boston in the 1970's?

We just need Ron Edwards now, if anyone can shine any light please?

:rolleyes:

HG........I think your Ron Cooper may be the one who rode for Boston in the 1970's

Thanks Kev.