British Speedway Forum
wimbledonwomble

Gary Middleton

Can anyone throw any light on him and his where abouts? Mentioning to another they said that Ivan Mauger said his son saw him on a golf course in Australia only a few years back. Any info appreciated.

The story went around of Middletons suicide in 2001, though an Australian rider at the time said it wasn't his style. I always thought it would have been typical of him to have faked a suicide or to have put the story around himself, remembering what an odd character he was in general.

Many of us would like confirmation either way, and its been mentioned on here several times - Garry was never replaced as my favourite rider.

Edited by miro

No, it seems he was not many fans favourite rider Miro but he was non the less a very good rider. Again, its said Ivan Mauger no less agrees with that.

Basically, we would like to establish if the guy is still with us. He ran a training school in the early 70's at Hackney with Len Silver. Perhaps uncle Len can help?? Can anyone ask Len the question? :)

hmmm just read it maybe its true but last i heard he was in a jail in the united states but anyone who rides abroad then stops on the way home to buy a trophy to make out like hes won it takes a lot of beliving especially where gaz the cas is concerned!!!!

I get the feeling he is either dead or doesn't want to be found by speedway supporters :unsure:

I get the feeling he is either dead or doesn't want to be found by speedway supporters :unsure:

You could be very right there. According to Speedway historians he has not left a final resting place Officially. Maybe he still has the last laugh.

hmmm just read it maybe its true but last i heard he was in a jail in the united states but anyone who rides abroad then stops on the way home to buy a trophy to make out like hes won it takes a lot of beliving especially where gaz the cas is concerned!!!!

He kept 'spare' trophies in the glove compartment of his car didn't he

. Maybe he still has the last laugh.

Yes I agree, Midddleton was a larger than life character and if he's chosen to leave us with a mystery then so be it

He told me once that he had Ole Olsen and Ivan Mauger Physco Analysised and he understood how their minds worked at that point, and therefore he knew that it was going to beat them. How, I am not sure now of course, and if I should not admit this but I believed him as young highly impressionable fan. He was very convincing.

Where ever he is I hope he has found his peace.

Thanks for all your replies.

he was not many fans favourite rider Miro but he was non the less a very good rider.

He was my favourite for all his faults - its easier to support a controversial rider as you dont have too make excuses for them all the time. He could ride for sure but alongside that he brought a bit of colour and drama - people liked that then and miss it now. I'd heard that one too about mind games - he claimed his mother was a psychiatrist who taught him mental tricks to succeed ... don't start me on stories ... like Middleton asking for permission to fit a horn to his bike to play 'Colonel Bogie' as he was overtaking other riders!

Sadly missed, thanks for reminding us of him.

Edited by miro

Anybody see the old movie"THE THIRD MAN" with Orson Welles.Just like Harry Lime , I think one night a cat will cross the road to a dark door, you'll see a pair of shoes in the door way and then a car will drive by and the headlights will pick out Garry -and he'll have a smile on his face!!Remember folks you heard it here first!!

Yeah but for how long?

Wasn't there a story about him pointing a gun at somebody in the pits?

Wherever you are, Garry, thanks for all the great memories, you certainly made an impression on everyone who saw you ride ... and you were almost as good a rider as you told us all you were!

No characters around like Garry anymore, more's the pity, now there's a guy who put bums on seats ....

:sad:

P.S Did Len Silver's book ever see the light of day?

Edited by TwoMinuteWarning