British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sandie

Bbc 2 Tuesday 22nd July - 1.30pm

Correct Shadders. For a Scottish rider starting out the closest training track is Workington. That being the main reason that Scottish talent is drying up.

I think Snyper was refering to the lack of training facilities for Scottish riders north of the border. To my knowledge neither Scottish side has dedicated training for up and coming talent. I know Glasgow have second halves, but they are for established riders with a little more experience than I suspect Snyper has.

This may explain the lack of Scottish speedway riders coming though the system

Can you explain the lack of ENGLISH riders coming through then. To be fair the scotland have had a few in recent years without training facilities Grieves, lLamb ,Tully ,Stoddart,Lawson spring to mind. It is not for the want of trying that training facilities are not in place.Local councils public objections are a problem though.

Can you explain the lack of ENGLISH riders coming through then.

Can't think of many that will make the grade as possible GP stars of the future. I'm discounting Tai as he learned his craft in Oz. Adam Roynon springs to mind.

Edited by Shadders

Oh god you just know Speedyguy wont resist having a dig again at Russell & Claire again now :rolleyes:

Scotland has had it's training tracks as I recall, but I don't know what happened to them. Linlithgow was one, or certainly it was a CL team. Wasn't Felton another?

I would have thought there was plenty of 'out of the way' land for training tracks in Scotland.

Scotland has had it's training tracks as I recall, but I don't know what happened to them. Linlithgow was one, or certainly it was a CL team. Wasn't Felton another?

I would have thought there was plenty of 'out of the way' land for training tracks in Scotland.

Felton is in England . Norththumberland

Most of the land that is free from building is either farm land or green belt so in actual fact we have very little with which to build on. We keep hearing its all down to money. I dont believe for one second that there aint a guy/woman with the money and the interest in speedway that would be willing to set up a Scottish training track.

Can you explain the lack of ENGLISH riders coming through then. To be fair the scotland have had a few in recent years without training facilities Grieves, lLamb ,Tully ,Stoddart,Lawson spring to mind. It is not for the want of trying that training facilities are not in place.Local councils public objections are a problem though.

Four of the above riders came to Northside (Workington) on a regular basis.

Yeah Darren a great idea for a holiday but when your doing it to try and get to club level club level im afraid a holiday every weekend aint visable.

it seems like you are not twisting it enough, why dont you practice on the beach and when you are good enough you will get more chances, many top riders have learnt on beaches.

Darvel :wink:

You appear to be rather confused as to wether the sport of speedway has reached Haggisland [see below] yet. I can assure that there have been tracks north of the border for a good many years.

Scotland also produced one of the greatest and most colourful riders of yesteryear. I refer to Bert 'Haggis' Harkins.

'Visable' = visible? Does that mean that after a weekend break in Southern Tenerife you would be unable to see your way to one of the tracks that still operate in Scotland. Perhaps you meant viable i.e within the bounds of probability?

Enjoy your speedway - wherever you watch it. :wink:

I am not sure whether he meant viable or not, but it is best not to litter your own post with errors, particularly when trying to make someone look stupid. It has a habit of backfiring

I'm feeling warm in my un-airconditioned office, the brain is boiling, so I am sorry, here comes a 'hare brained' idea.

Perhaps a way for young (i assume he is young) Snyper and his mates (assuming he has mates) to get some valuable speedway practice in, up in Scotland and perhaps the same for the rest of the UK, is for one or all of the speedway frame manufacturers to develop a sprung back end, yes a bit like Grasstrack, but to keep the bike more like and to keep the feel of a speedway bike and then for the youngsters to approach a friendly farmer who will let them use his land from time to time.

The lads (and lassies) could mark out their own track, cut the grass off, if possible, roll the track, after a while the track will be something like a speedway track (a slick speedway track), but it will give the youngsters a chance to practice and more near to where they live. The cost would be far cheaper than the travelling expense and the cost of entry with the more organised tracks. The farmer, I don't think, would need planning permission, but obviously you would want a field which is unlikely to offend anyone nearby.

:unsure:

Edited by Ray Rocket