British Speedway Forum
Engine man

Ron Mountford

In 1963 we had an odd occurrence in the reserve positions for the World Final @ Wembley as the British Reserve was a Pole naturalised as either English or Dutch (Tadeuz Teodorowicz) and the Continental Reserve was an Englishman (Ron Mountford) as the original reserve Antonin Kasper (Czech) was unfit to attend. After all that neither Ron or Teo were called on to ride after the opening parade. Then, just a year later, Teo fought his last great battle following his West Ham crash.

I remember a rider who rode for Stoke in the 70's and 80's I think his name was Stuart Mountford who was I believe an Aussie were they related.

He came over to ride for Paisley in 1975 . Cant say for sure , but i would very much doubt if he was related .

Stuart Mountford was not a relation of Ron

Ron Mountford and Rick France had a garage at Bloxwich

A member of the Brandon trackstaff in the 60s used to tell me how he had to go out and repaint the white kickboards around the circuit where Ron had left tyremarks

I believe Rick France made an appearance at Wolverhampton's recent celebrations

That's great to hear that Rick France still appears here and there. When I saw him several years ago, he looked well and I believe he was still in the motor trade at that time - should think he's retired now.

A member of the Brandon trackstaff in the 60s used to tell me how he had to go out and repaint the white kickboards around the circuit where Ron had left tyremarks....

Now that I can believe, although I wasn't a Coventry fan back then.

I've got a terrible memory but one thing I've never forgotten is the sight of Ron smashing into the fence on the fourth bend where I stand. He was way out in front so heaven knows what he was doing; perhaps a lapse of concentration. :unsure:

That's right midland red-the garage was at Bloxwich-thanx also starghost for reminding us of the unusual situation re reserves for 63 World Final-I'd completely forgotten that. Jim Lightfoot used to be known as Captain Jim-not just because he was the Bees capt. but I think there was a movie called that in the early 60's-funny how Jim seems to have disappeared-recall him riding at Long Eaton after he left the Bees.Incidentally does anyone know when Ron quit riding.

That's right midland red-the garage was at Bloxwich-thanx also starghost for reminding us of the unusual situation re reserves for 63 World Final-I'd completely forgotten that. Jim Lightfoot used to be known as Captain Jim-not just because he was the Bees capt. but I think there was a movie called that in the early 60's-funny how Jim seems to have disappeared-recall him riding at Long Eaton after he left the Bees.Incidentally does anyone know when Ron quit riding.

Ron quit riding in 1972.....

I am now back in the sixties. Time, about an hour before tapes up. Me and my speedway mad mates are on our way to Oxford for a meeting against the bees. Travelling down a country road in the cotswolds a vehicle suddenly appears in the rear view mirror at great speed. Woosh. It has gone past with a trailer with two speedway bikes on. The trailer bucking about like a frightened rabbitt. The riders? Ron Mountford and Rick France of course. Straight from the garage. Nothing like leaving it to the last minute. Yet they were always there for the start. Would not be possible today of course with all the speed cameras. Great memories. Loved seeing Ron ride anywhere but if I had to pick a favourite it would have to be the County ground Exeter. To see him battling with Colin Goody on the track and then fisticuffs in the pits after. Heaven. O dear I feel a lump coming in my throat!

Edited by ShirleyBee

Thanx for the memory Shirleybee-Ron and Colin Gooddy were two tough sons of guns-Ron always put on a good show at Newport also

That's great to hear that Rick France still appears here and there. When I saw him several years ago, he looked well and I believe he was still in the motor trade at that time - should think he's retired now.

Hi Gem.....For those that are interested and asked.

Ron Mountford - Did indeed ride at Birmingham before joining the Bees. He had bad eyesight after a work shop accident when some metal penertrated his eye. Ron and Rick (France) were the best of buddies and often travelled together and arrived late together at most away meetings! - Few tales could be told about them in this regard - neither could read a map!

Ron badly broke his thigh at Newport I think it was in 1970. Took a long time before making a comeback late in 71, or even 72. Was not the same rider, and ultimately retired. I believe there weere some behind the scenes disagreements as well with the Ochiltree's.

In the case of Jim Lightfoot - likewise disagreement with CO. He wanted more money and to be on par with #1 Nigel Boocock. CO wouldn't pay what he wanted and he moved to Long Eaton. Things went downhill for him there and he to retired shortly thereafter. Had Antiques shop when he retired.

Ron later in life suffered from heart and health problems and passed away in 1993

Jim is still around to my knowledge.

Hi Gem.....For those that are interested and asked.

Ron Mountford - Did indeed ride at Birmingham before joining the Bees. He had bad eyesight after a work shop accident when some metal penertrated his eye. Ron and Rick (France) were the best of buddies and often travelled together and arrived late together at most away meetings! - Few tales could be told about them in this regard - neither could read a map!

Ron badly broke his thigh at Newport I think it was in 1970. Took a long time before making a comeback late in 71, or even 72. Was not the same rider, and ultimately retired. I believe there weere some behind the scenes disagreements as well with the Ochiltree's.

In the case of Jim Lightfoot - likewise disagreement with CO. He wanted more money and to be on par with #1 Nigel Boocock. CO wouldn't pay what he wanted and he moved to Long Eaton. Things went downhill for him there and he to retired shortly thereafter. Had Antiques shop when he retired.

Ron later in life suffered from heart and health problems and passed away in 1993

Jim is still around to my knowledge.

Thanx Bee-as per my meory I recall Jim L. at Long Eaton-1967-he was very much past his best-how old was Ron when he died

Thanx Bee-as per my meory I recall Jim L. at Long Eaton-1967-he was very much past his best-how old was Ron when he died

ron ,rick,and jim lightfoot have all been featured in the coventry program recently jim lightfoot is indeed alive and well at this time and is an oc casional visitor to brandon and rick france was at brandon and wolverhamptons 80 year celebrations this year