British Speedway Forum
Conkers

Ice Racing 2009

Latest news from Sanok is that the Polish #1 crashed out (Grzegorz Knapp) and he lost his consciousness for a while and his bike rode over his hand. He's currently in hospital, dropped out the Sanok Cup tonight but he's willing to ride in the WC Quali!

Johnny Tuinstra had a quite rough ride to Sanok, he hit a hog with his van :blink:.

Blimey.Those two are in the wars a bit.I didn't think riders were allowed to ride so soon after losing conciousness??? :unsure:

But shows how tough these guys are. :lol:

And you have to be careful of the wild animals in the East.We have Wolves and Wild Pigs in the east of Germany.And now the start of a Raccoon Dog invasion from the east as well :lol:

Raccoon Dog

Blimey.Those two are in the wars a bit.I didn't think riders were allowed to ride so soon after losing conciousness??? :unsure:

But shows how tough these guys are. :lol:

I think the PZM want Knapp to ride as their nominated rider as he's possibly on a par with some of the western riders. Having seen one or two of the other poles ride, they are lacking in experience and would be half a lap behind the others.

But I have to agree, ice racers are a tough breed.

Have England got any good ice racers? I mean have we got any one that can qualify for the world championship??

Why dont the acu get a few speedway riders involved? I was at Assen when Rene Ass rode as English what happened to him and how come there are so many good poles about now but still no one from england really pushing...

I will be at Assen and will be willing to talk to the english riders on the friday night about there problems and if I can help.

A few years ago there was an English guy mechanicing for a Swiss rider I think it was Heinz Goldi does he help any english riders?

Have England got any good ice racers? I mean have we got any one that can qualify for the world championship??

Why dont the acu get a few speedway riders involved? I was at Assen when Rene Ass rode as English what happened to him and how come there are so many good poles about now but still no one from england really pushing...

I will be at Assen and will be willing to talk to the english riders on the friday night about there problems and if I can help.

A few years ago there was an English guy mechanicing for a Swiss rider I think it was Heinz Goldi does he help any english riders?

There are 5 English riders but because there is no iceracing in England the riders have to go to Europe to train and ride. Sponsorship is scarce as it is rarely televised in England so riders have to fund their own costs. To get to Sweden for training alone costs about 500 pounds in travelling costs before paying for hotels, food and bike maintenance. Mark Uzzell lives in Sweden to get more track time but to go to Russia for the European and World championships has cost 1000 pounds just for the paperwork before he even travels. It will cost about another 1000 to go to Russia. This he has to fund himself. Bike maintenance and everything else is more. For the brits to improve they need money and track time. When the Brits have the chance to race, it means at least a week fromwork, most of that spent travelling. How many holidays can that add up to?

To say that the Brits don't push hard enough, you need to consider what they have to do to achieve what they have.

The guy who was mechanic for Heinz Goldi is Mark's son and mine. He is now a mechanic for a speedway rider.

As for the speedway riders, it's much different to ride than speedway and they wouldn't get paid the same wages that they earn. However a high profile name would be good for the publicity of the sport in the GB. If it was the same as speedway who knows maybe more would give it a go.

Edited by Mrs mark246

There are 5 English riders but because there is no iceracing in England the riders have to go to Europe to train and ride. Sponsorship is scarce as it is rarely televised in England so riders have to fund their own costs. To get to Sweden for training alone costs about 500 pounds in travelling costs before paying for hotels, food and bike maintenance. Mark Uzzell lives in Sweden to get more track time but to go to Russia for the European and World championships has cost 1000 pounds just for the paperwork before he even travels. It will cost about another 1000 to go to Russia. This he has to fund himself. Bike maintenance and everything else is more.

The guy who was mechanic for Heinz Goldi is Mark's son and mine. He is now a mechanic for a speedway rider.

For the brits to improve they need money and track time.

Well i guess everyone thought everything was paid for by the powers that run our beloved sport,not a chance!!! well done mark for representing GB, i think mark is the best ice racer to represent GB as he does everything at his own expense and he should be proud of himself ,we are all proud of him! maybe a new ice bike or some sort of help from GB would help or at least a bit of recognition!! good luck mark and carry on the good work while showing that there is still someone brave enough to ride this hard sport so lets all get behind the GB representative and show him our support by whatever means we can.

We have five riders: Mark Uzzell (based in Sweden), Graham Halsall, Rob Irvine, Roger Newton and Kevin Rowland. Mark and Kevin ride in the European Championship next weekend in Lukhovitsy, Russia, whilst Mark was due to ride in Togliatti last weekend but the Russian Embassy successfully cocked up his Visa application that he couldn't have multiple entries/exits just once in/once out.

Mark, Graham and Roger rode in the Alpenarena Cup last weekend, and the results are a couple of posts back, but to save you time Mark was 11th on 5, Graham 14th on 5 and Roger 15th on 3. Not bad considering that it was Roger and Graham's first competitive meetings since practice.

As for the standard, well I think they do really well considering that they have to travel north to Sweden to train, and their "home" track is Assen (well it's the nearest one to the UK! - Yes I know, Mark's home track is probably in Sweden, but you get my point) and they only ride there when invited.

Roger Newton and I have been friends for years and he works for British Aerospace. If he wants to train or race he has to take his hols and then travel to a meeting. He took a week off to have 4 races in Switzerland and get there and back at his own expense.

Graham is nearly 60 and was our number 1 for several years, but with the birth of his new little girl, he appears to have cut back on his racing. Graham came 8th in the Golden Spike a few years back and there was a two page article on him in Speedway Star.

Sponsorship for the lads is none existent, so all of them have to fund their own racing. Compare that to Franz Zorn, who come winter has sponsorship that the Brits could only dream about.

It's a pity that Tee-Mill Tours folded as they were huge sponsors of the British Team in the 80s but if the profile of Ice Racing was raised in the UK (like if we could find a kind billionaire to fund and build a permanent Track in the UK which they could use all year around! :) ) then the guys may just break into the World Championship.

And having written all that, I've just checked my post and Pam has already answered it! :)

Edited to add Kev's surname :oops:

Edited by Conkers

i have seen mark ride a few times and believe you me he really puts his all into it so please give him the recognition he should have!! come on MR GB go for it!!

Edited by lyndylou

i have seen mark ride a few times and believe you me he really puts his all into it so please give him the recognition he should have!! come on MR GB go for it!!

Maybe one of the speedway publications could do an article on mark uzzell and the life of an ice racer as he was the only representative in poland for GB and that if anyone would be interested in some sponsorship ,it would be gratefully received,lets see what can be done lets see some help coming along for the ice racer who represented our country today! heres hoping . will be keeping my eye on the speedway mags to see what happens

International Open Meeting, St Johann in Pongau, Austria 17.1.2009

Only just found results for this meeting on Speedway.org

Franz Zorn (A) (3, 3, 3, 3, 3) 15

Antti Aakko (SF) (3, 2, 3, 2, 3) 13

Johnny Tuinstra (NL) (3, 3, 2, 3, 2) 13

Stefan Pletschacher (D) (2, 0, 3, 2, 3) 10

Markus Skabraut (A)(2, 3, 2, 2, 1) 10

Antonin Klatovsky (CzR) (2, 2, 1, 3, 2) 10

Jan Klatovsky (CzR) (1, 1, 1, 3, 3) 9

Per Olov Serenius (S) (3, 2, 2, 2, D) 9

Rene Stellingwerf (NL) (0, 3, 3, 1, 1) 8

Florian Fürst (D) (2, 1, 1, 0, 2) 6

Max Niedermaier (D) (1, 1, 2, 1, 1) 6

Grzegorz Knapp (Pl) (0, 2, 0, 0, 2) 4

Martin Leitner (A) (1,A, 1, 1, 1) 4

Peter Jonsson (S) (0, 1, 0, 1, 0) 2

Josef Kreuzberger (A) (1, 0, 0, 0, 0) 1

Sebastian Gegenbauer (D) (D, M, N, N, N) 0

FINAL: Zorn, Aakko, Tuinstra, Pletschacher

Support Races:

Mario Schwaiger (A) (1, 1, 3, 3,) 8 +3

Christoph Kirchner (D) (3, 3, 1, 1) 8 + 2

Johann Weber (D) (0, 2, 2, 0) 4

Andrei Divis (CzR) (2, T, D, 2) 4

Maybe one of the speedway publications could do an article on mark uzzell and the life of an ice racer as he was the only representative in poland for GB and that if anyone would be interested in some sponsorship ,it would be gratefully received,lets see what can be done lets see some help coming along for the ice racer who represented our country today! heres hoping . will be keeping my eye on the speedway mags to see what happens

It took a lot of work to get the interview with Graham into the Star, and it was only managed by Graham getting 8th in the Golden Spike, and by a lot of pestering. The Sanok cup will see Mark getting a mention in the report but a good showing for him in the European Championship next weekend may do the cause a bit of good. Don't hold your breath waiting for an interview though, as these things do take a long time.

I do share your enthusiasm for Mark though, and although I've seen him race just the once, I do follow his progress with great interest, as I do when any of our "(Not So) Famous Five" race. :)

Edited by Conkers

We have five riders: Mark Uzzell (based in Sweden), Graham Halsall, Rob Irvine, Roger Newton and Kevin (whose name I can never remember). Mark and Kevin ride in the European Championship next weekend in Lukhovitsy, Russia, whilst Mark was due to ride in Togliatti last weekend but the Russian Embassy successfully cocked up his Visa application that he couldn't have multiple entries/exits just once in/once out.

Mark, Graham and Roger rode in the Alpenarena Cup last weekend, and the results are a couple of posts back, but to save you time Mark was 11th on 5, Graham 14th on 5 and Roger 15th on 3. Not bad considering that it was Roger and Graham's first competitive meetings since practice.

As for the standard, well I think they do really well considering that they have to travel north to Sweden to train, and their "home" track is Assen (well it's the nearest one to the UK! - Yes I know, Mark's home track is probably in Sweden, but you get my point) and they only ride there when invited.

Roger Newton and I have been friends for years and he works for British Aerospace. If he wants to train or race he has to take his hols and then travel to a meeting. He took a week off to have 4 races in Switzerland and get there and back at his own expense.

Graham is nearly 60 and was our number 1 for several years, but with the birth of his new little girl, he appears to have cut back on his racing. Graham came 8th in the Golden Spike a few years back and there was a two page article on him in Speedway Star.

Sponsorship for the lads is none existent, so all of them have to fund their own racing. Compare that to Franz Zorn, who come winter has sponsorship that the Brits could only dream about.

It's a pity that Tee-Mill Tours folded as they were huge sponsors of the British Team in the 80s but if the profile of Ice Racing was raised in the UK (like if we could find a kind billionaire to fund and build a permanent Track in the UK which they could use all year around! :) ) then the guys may just break into the World Championship.

And having written all that, I've just checked my post and Pam has already answered it! :)

I havent seen the other riders ride but have followed marks career on grasstrack for the last 20 years and also some of his ice meetings

Sanok Cup, Sanok, Poland 24.1.2009

Results from http://live.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel1.htm

Elimination Heats:

1. Cavigelli, Żerdziński, Kopik, Uzzel

2. Saetre, Pecina, Daniszewski, Widera

3. Schwaiger, Leitner, Dosaev, Jansson

4. Bazeev, Flyktman, Lehtinen, Behal (w/u)

5. Kopik, Widera, Behal, Dosaev (ns)

6. Lehtinen, Jansson, Uzzel, Daniszewski

7. Flyktman, Schwaiger, Pecina, Cavigelli

8. Bazeev, Leitner, Saetre, Żerdziński (d)

9. Leitner, Pecina, Jansson, Kopik

10. Schwaiger, Lehtinen, Saetre, Widera

11. Stellingwerf, Lindstroem, J. Klatovsky, Flyktman (d)

12. Bazeev, Aakko, Pletschacher, Kreklau

13. Serenius, Holstein, Simon, Schwaiger

14. A. Klatovsky, Malinen, Lietner, Seppanen (w/u)

15. J. Klatovsky, Kreklau, Simon (ns), Seppanen (ns)

16. Flyktman, Pletschacher, Schwaiger, Leitner (t)

17. Serenius, Stellingwerf, Aakko, Malinen

18. Bazeev, A. Klatovsky, Holstein, Lindstroem (u)

19. Pletschacher, J. Klatovsky, Lindstroem, Aakko

20. Holstein, Malinen, Flyktman, Kreklau

Semi-Finals

21. A. Klatovsky, Malinen, Pletschacher, Serenius

22. Holstein, J. Klatovsky, Stellingwerf, Bazeev (w/u)

Final B:

23. Bazeev, Serenius, Pletschacher, Stellingwerf

Final A:

24. A. Klatovsky, J. Klatovsky, Holstein, Malinen

Final Positions

1. Antonin Klatovsky (CzR)

2. Jan Klatovsky (CzR)

3. Sven Holstein (NL)

4. Henri Malinen (SF)

5. Junir Bazeev (Rus)

6. Per Olov Serenius (S)

7. Stefan Pletschacher (D)

8. Rene Stellingwerf (NL)

9. Tommy Flyktman (SF)

10. Marian Kreklau (D)

11. Per Anders Lindstrom (S)

12. Antti Aakko (SF)

13. Mario Schwaiger (A)

14. Martin Leitner (A)

15. Harald Simon (A)

16. Juni Seppanen (SF)

17. Kai Lehtinen (SF)

18. Jo Saetre (N)

19. Michał Widera (Pl)

20. Jan Pecina (CzR)

21. Peter Jansson (S)

22. Tomasz Kopik (Pl)

23. Zdzisław Żerdziński (Pl)

24. Thomas Cavigelli (CH)

25. Mark Uzzell (GB)

26. Mirosław Daniszewski (Pl)

27. Martin Behal (CzR)

28. Oleg Dosaev (Ukr)

Interesting that the Klabo brothers finished in seniority order :)

Edited by Conkers

Disappointed in you mate.Where are the results from Russia????I was waiting for you to put them on here as i didn't have much time yesterday.Or should i say i couldn't be bothered :wink:

But i can only add .....i did an online interview last season with Mark and he was extremely helpful.And having met him in person at Berlin last year he is just as nice in the flesh.As is his son,who was helping out Lukas Rösti(i think)the year before that.Plus i met him again this year in Denmark alongside Manuel Hauzinger.Had a great chat with both.I know Mark put out an offer to any youngsters who fancied taking up the sport that he would help them out in Sweden.Because that is what we really need is one or two guys or gals(why not?)a little bit younger than Mark and Graham to come on the scene.Fantastic performance from Sven Holstein yesterday.Pity we haven't got someone as mad :lol: as him coming through