British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
topsoil

Cardiff 2008 Holiday Inn

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is too shy to come on here. This year we (4 of us) stayed at the Holiday Inn for the Cardiff GP weekend. Can't fault the hotel, great location, everything at hand. We booked in for next year as the date was announced. Bit annoyed that the prices have taken a hike but I suppose that's the same with everything else these days. What is also annoying is that they stateon the booking form that they only require a deposit of £50 at the moment (gives you a bit of time to save up for the rest). Except that they've now taken the full price of our credit cards. On phoning up to complain about this we were basically told if we didn't like it we could cancel. Just feels like another dig from the hotel chains who seem to be increasingly exploiting the GP weekend.

Just wondered if anybody else has had a similar experience?

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is too shy to come on here. This year we (4 of us) stayed at the Holiday Inn for the Cardiff GP weekend. Can't fault the hotel, great location, everything at hand. We booked in for next year as the date was announced. Bit annoyed that the prices have taken a hike but I suppose that's the same with everything else these days. What is also annoying is that they stateon the booking form that they only require a deposit of £50 at the moment (gives you a bit of time to save up for the rest). Except that they've now taken the full price of our credit cards. On phoning up to complain about this we were basically told if we didn't like it we could cancel. Just feels like another dig from the hotel chains who seem to be increasingly exploiting the GP weekend.

We booked online for the Holiday Inn for next year, we also stayed there this year. We had to pay all of it up front, we knew that when we booked...However I saw an advert in the Speedway star last week, offering cheap deals for the Holiday in...maybe you could cancel and then book again?

When we stayed there, the following year had to be paid in full at time of booking, a lot of hotels ask for card details to secure rooms, the Holiday Inn I agree is a great location but ...... an absolute rip off!

When we stayed there, the following year had to be paid in full at time of booking, a lot of hotels ask for card details to secure rooms, the Holiday Inn I agree is a great location but ...... an absolute rip off!

I suppose that depends on what you want from the Hotel. It's location is paramount for us and it's within our budget, so to us it's not a ripoff.

I suppose that depends on what you want from the Hotel. It's location is paramount for us and it's within our budget, so to us it's not a ripoff.

Then why are people moaning about having to pay for it in advance :wink:

I stayed there for 3 years, yes good location and in price range until they doubled the price per night the following year. Nice bar but paying £150.00 per night I'd like a seat in it rather than having to sit in the lobby as passing people wanted to nip in and have a drink with riders that were staying there.

Hotel I have now I wouldn't change for the world, even go as far as saying the rooms are better than the Holiday Inn at a fraction of the price and still in a good location with excellent company for the weekend and the staff are so friendly it's all first name terms :lol::approve: (or is that because once seen not forgotten :oops: )

Then why are people moaning about having to pay for it in advance :wink:

I stayed there for 3 years, yes good location and in price range until they doubled the price per night the following year. Nice bar but paying £150.00 per night I'd like a seat in it rather than having to sit in the lobby as passing people wanted to nip in and have a drink with riders that were staying there.

Hotel I have now I wouldn't change for the world, even go as far as saying the rooms are better than the Holiday Inn at a fraction of the price and still in a good location with excellent company for the weekend and the staff are so friendly it's all first name terms :lol::approve: (or is that because once seen not forgotten :oops: )

Whats the name of the hotel shazz or is it top secret!!!

I booked the other week at the Future Inn, Cardiff Bay.

They took my card details but no deposit or payment is due and I can cancel should I need to up to 1 day before.

Their website www.futureinns.co.uk , not sure about availability now.

I booked the other week at the Future Inn, Cardiff Bay.

They took my card details but no deposit or payment is due and I can cancel should I need to up to 1 day before.

Their website www.futureinns.co.uk , not sure about availability now.

cheers scoobs have you stayed there before? and what the price?

cheers scoobs have you stayed there before? and what the price?

Not stayed there before but have been told by a friend from Cardiff that it is a good hotel to be in and only 5 minutes by cab from City Centre. There are also bars restaurants etc down in the Bay where the hotel is.

It is £78 per night per room based on 2 people sharing.

The room can sleep up to 4 people with a supplement of £15 per person per night. If there are 4 of you, works out at £27 each per night, not bad eh ?!!

Not stayed there before but have been told by a friend from Cardiff that it is a good hotel to be in and only 5 minutes by cab from City Centre. There are also bars restaurants etc down in the Bay where the hotel is.

It is £78 per night per room based on 2 people sharing.

The room can sleep up to 4 people with a supplement of £15 per person per night. If there are 4 of you, works out at £27 each per night, not bad eh ?!!

thanks for info

Nice post Topsoil, i agree the hotels are what i would call shafting the general public for cardiff just making more and more profit every year! as soon as something is a great success then what do they do yep kick you in the nuts!

I wis cracking to a bloke at the pairs on the friday night and asked him if he was gan to Cardiff the following night and he simply said he wasnt cause he couldnt afford it! and i bet he wasnt the only one!

The way things are going with the economic meltdown if they aint carefull your true speedway fans will no longer be able to afford it any longer thus the grand prix will go the same way as football and will be only the prawn sandwhich lovers will be able to afford it!

Just in case anyone should think that the Cardiff hotels are shafting only speedway fans, I would like to point out that for all major events (concerts, poofball, rugby, monster trucks - even the beer festivals! :blink: ) they all put their rates up, as well as the prices of their drinks in all but the Wetherspoons chain pubs. It's appalling - especially as you can book (and pay) for a room well in advance, and still end up being charged more at the time. And people wonder why we drive straight back home each year.... :angry:

Whats the name of the hotel shazz or is it top secret!!!

The Mercure Lodge, no secret :wink: