British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedy den boy

Grand Prix Engine Tuners

I hope for god sake that Nicholls have some engines from Neville Tatum these days!?

I think Scott must have some guy who used to have some input into the tuning of the Reliant Robin.

Dunno anything about Lukas Dryml's engines this year.

Was certainly Peter Johns last year Steve but not 100% sure this

A short summary:

1. keep engines maintained by replacing worn or broken parts - just like a car service

2. design, make or modify parts to improve performance or reliability

3. test and modify completed engines to obtain maximum power

4. all of above to create an engine which is ideal for the individual rider - and that's the real skill- same sort of job as a race engineer in formula 1, motoGP or world rally.

Having seen a few engine test results, there are significant differences even in GP rider engines. The biggest problem is that more power isn't necessarily ideal and the various ways of reducing power through trackside set-up are very rough and ready, not reliable, poorly understood, and sometimes damaging to the engine.

Made this posting more in hope than expectation,so was very pleased with your excellent response.Thanks.I would guess that the modern speedway engine is a pretty potent piece of machinery,even in standard form,so I can well understand that a reduction in power can be advantageous in some circumstances,i.e.massive power output is no good if it cannot be translated into forward motion of the bike. P.S. Was intrigued to see that you have access to engine power outputs and wonder if you are in the tuning business?

Made this posting more in hope than expectation,so was very pleased with your excellent response.Thanks.I would guess that the modern speedway engine is a pretty potent piece of machinery,even in standard form,so I can well understand that a reduction in power can be advantageous in some circumstances,i.e.massive power output is no good if it cannot be translated into forward motion of the bike. P.S. Was intrigued to see that you have access to engine power outputs and wonder if you are in the tuning business?

Yes - and no.

I am somewhat involved in engine design, and race tuning , but not directly for speedway.

From time to time I do have some involvement with one of the top speedway tuners - we have worked together on some projects and regularly compare notes.

Tuning for speedway is not so different from other motorsport in some ways - riders/drivers all have individual preferences and skill levels, and some have a better technical understanding than others, but having had some involvement across a wide range of sports, I have noticed that the similarities are strong. The grip/ wheel spin issue is more significant in speedway than most other sports, and that's where the detuning aspect comes in. In the old days, good throttle control was enough (after all that's what it's for) but not so many riders have got it now, and with the modern engine producing about 50% more power than a JAP , racing on small tracks with slick surfaces, all makes the problem a bit more tricky.

I think Scott must have some guy who used to have some input into the tuning of the Reliant Robin.

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with the tuning side of Scott's equipment, he alwasy has more than enough power, it's the setting up of the bike on GP race nights that seems to be the problem - normally takes at least 2 races to get it anywhere near right. Power does not equal speed and in slick conditions it is the steps the mechanics take to reduce the power of the engine & adjust other parts of the bike that can be the differnece between winning and losing. This is probably why he has taken the step (if true) of refreshing his support team - to be honest I think he was always more competitive when his father looked after his bikes on race day.

Is there anyone out there that can DEF CONFIRM scotts and chris engine turners for the gps.?

Im pretty sure Scott Nicholls is on Marcel Gerhard engines now as that is the Tatum connection and it was Gerrhard with him at prague. Bomber is a bit more complicated it was Brian Anderson but seems that he may be on Kargers now to try and increase his speed

Im pretty sure Scott Nicholls is on Marcel Gerhard engines now as that is the Tatum connection and it was Gerrhard with him at prague. Bomber is a bit more complicated it was Brian Anderson but seems that he may be on Kargers now to try and increase his speed

Cheers Flagrag but who is this Gerhard person,was he a rider? does he do anyone elses engines and has his engines won anything?!!!!!

Cheers Flagrag but who is this Gerhard person,was he a rider? does he do anyone elses engines and has his engines won anything?!!!!!

Quite a good Grass/Longtracker in his day.

Quite a good Grass/Longtracker in his day.

arrrrrrrrr thank you thats where the Tatum thing kicks in.MAYBE scott should go grasstrack racing again to build up a bit of speed in his mind.

But the mind is often a very powerful tool for a sportsman.

Yes one of the main mantras of the Sports Psychologists is that the factors effecting an individual's performance are 90% mental and 10% physical but in motor sports you then have to fator in the machinary.

Alex Zanardi currently driving in the WTCC after losing both his legs from below the knee in a crash is a fine example of mind over matter.

I remember watching an interview with him when he returned to racing in an adapted BMW touring car and he said his first memory after the crash was looking down in the tub of the car and seeing his legs and thinking "Oh!? That's going to be tough to fix!"

The man's a Diamond Geezer.

:blink:

Edited by skyjack