British Speedway Forum
Killer Cat from Mars

Riskit Riley

Hi everyone. I've posted this in General Discussions too, without any luck. Does anyone have any biographical information about Riskit Riley? He rode in the pioneer years of speedway, racing at Belle Vue and Audenshaw in the 20's. A fellow speedway fan asked me about him, and I've found it hard to dig up any information except for odd race results. Can any of my fellow forumites help with any information?

Hi Killer Cat...no information but I put your request for more information on the Speedway History Forum and Jim Blanchard has come up with this photo

I hope that helps a bit.

AllI know about him by the way is that he rode for Belle Vue in 1929 and his first name was Jack.

He was and maybe still is the second oldest living rider, Gordon Byers is the oldest If you visit my defunct site miscellaneous page there is a photo of Riskit and Gordon

Edited by dantodan

Great to see the photos, dtod. However, there is an error in the caption to Riskit Riley's photo as he is not the ONLY other pre-War rider still alive. Jack Tidbury, who rode for Hackney in 1938, is still alive.

Thanks for all your efforts guys, much appreciated. :)

During my research I found out that Riskit Riley won the Audenshaw Cup in the final meeting held at Audenshaw in 1931. My house is actually built on this track, and I have interesting information about the track in my deeds!!

Great to see the photos, dtod. However, there is an error in the caption to Riskit Riley's photo as he is not the ONLY other pre-War rider still alive. Jack Tidbury, who rode for Hackney in 1938, is still alive.

Thanks Norbold, I have updated the website.

Thanks for all your efforts guys, much appreciated. :)

During my research I found out that Riskit Riley won the Audenshaw Cup in the final meeting held at Audenshaw in 1931. My house is actually built on this track, and I have interesting information about the track in my deeds!!

And this interesting information is??????

Hi TigerTom I think the interesting information is that the tallest speedway rider in the world rode there!!!Who was that again.

Hi TigerTom I think the interesting information is that the tallest speedway rider in the world rode there!!!Who was that again.

Bob youare not a well man! LOL Sorry I missed you t Paris on the long weekend! I have my Weslake for sale should you ish to take up the sport again!

As for your question I believe the rider in question is..........It seems to have escaped me for the moment but I will travel as many miles as I have to in the quest to find out his name!

Tiger Tom....

Bob youare not a well man! LOL Sorry I missed you t Paris on the long weekend! I have my Weslake for sale should you ish to take up the sport again!

As for your question I believe the rider in question is..........It seems to have escaped me for the moment but I will travel as many miles as I have to in the quest to find out his name!

Tiger Tom....

Tallest rider ever - wasn't it Graham Miles? :rolleyes:

Edited by speedyguy

And this interesting information is??????

Only just seen this Tiger Tom - the deeds basically mirror the life and death of the speedway - dates land bought, what was on the land before, date the speedway company went into liquidation - and I have a nice map of the area before the track was built. Probably not that interesting in the end! :unsure:

Only just seen this Tiger Tom - the deeds basically mirror the life and death of the speedway - dates land bought, what was on the land before, date the speedway company went into liquidation - and I have a nice map of the area before the track was built. Probably not that interesting in the end! :unsure:

It may be more interesting than you think to speedway historians. We are a weird lot spending most of our time living in the past trying to find and confirm details. If someone is compiling that tracks history you may very well be getting an e mail or two!

Tiger Tom....

I have recieved an email from Ken Ward who is 82 yrs old. Ken remembers from his childhood watching Riskit, Kens uncles were friends of him. I have started a page for Audenshaw on the defunct website and put Kens email on there.

I have asked Ken for more info about Audenshaw and Riskit Riley so watch that space