British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Bert Edwards

Just got my copy of "Classic Speedway"(and what a great mag that is) and saw Bert had died aged 91-I recall his brother Harry more(Norwich-right starghost??) but Bert was a big name with Ipswich in the fifties, plus but not sure Exeter??

Just got my copy of "Classic Speedway"(and what a great mag that is) and saw Bert had died aged 91-I recall his brother Harry more(Norwich-right starghost??) but Bert was a big name with Ipswich in the fifties, plus but not sure Exeter??

Bert was signed by Ipswich from Aldershot in 1952 .he was at Walthamstow 1950 I do not think he rode at Exeter

Tony

Yes that's right-don't know where I got the Exeter idea from-anybody have any reminiscences of Bert-was trying to recall if he was a heavy smoker-if so he certainly beat the odds-great longevity.

Hi Bob

I dont recall Bert being a ciggie man. He was certainly one hell of a rider though with the enemy down the road at Ipswich where he captained the team for a while. He was one half of the Edwards/Bainbridge attack with the Witches. He also rode for Aldershot and Cardiff in Division Three and Walthamstow in the 2nd Division

Harry was an excellent team-man at the Firs and for a while partnered Billy Bales as the 3rd pairing in the side. His whisps of hair had Stan Buxton, the Firs announcer, saying Harry was never alone with a strand, using the advertising blurb from the Consulate Fag Company. Harry was "cool as a mountain stream" under the pressure of carrying the number 6 position in a Stars team led by the likes of Aub Lawson, Ove Fundin, Billy Bales & dear old Clarkie.

Incidently, for all his fans, Phil was unwell and missed the recent Police Gala Day ReUnion here in Norwich.

Edited by star ghost

Thanx starghost-also Bert had a regular column in the Speedway Star(mid fifties) probably didn't write it himself.His brother Harry was a great character wasn't he!! Sorry to hear re Phil and hope he gets better.

Thanx starghost-also Bert had a regular column in the Speedway Star(mid fifties) probably didn't write it himself.His brother Harry was a great character wasn't he!! Sorry to hear re Phil and hope he gets better.

I know a man who co-operated with Bert Edwards on some (the later ones) of the articles in Speedway Star! :lol:

Edited by speedyguy

Who was it then-Eric Linden-??don't be coy, it not like we are discussing who were gay speedway riders!!

It would not surprise me if it was Eric Linden. He used to do articles under so many names that he could fill the Star many times over. Is Eric still with us nowadays ??????

Yes Angus Kix for one-think Eric is still around. Was he also danny carter??

You mean they were all Eric.That sounds like he was the whole mag except for regional guys like Howard Jacobi, Frank McLean, -plus of course Philip Rising and Paul Parish,I read SS thru 1960's and I now want my money back!!!!

Methinks the ghost writer in question may have the initials JH....Am I close Speedstox????

Tiger Tom

So the big remaining question is: Was Eric Linden really John Hyam, former editor of Speedway Star & News, as well? :wink:

And if so was he he tallest speedway journalist! ????? Oh, sorry...wrong thread! :lol: