British Speedway Forum

The rot set-in with the World Final when it was taken to a succession of backwater venues outside the main speedway countries. If it had stayed in Britain, Poland and Sweden, then I don't think it would unrealistic to maintain crowd levels around those of the GPs in these countries today. No-one would deny the people running the World Final in the latter years lacked vision, but had somewhere like the Millenium Stadium been available to stage the World Final with the hype that British GP gets, then I don't think it would be a greatly different situation. Of course, neither the Millenium Stadium or Parken (in their current incarnations) were built then, and so it's all a moot point.

You say BSI have done nothing with the sport then say if the World Final was in somewhere like the millenium stadium it could have prospered.

Well that is exactly whjat BSI did do, and OK the Millenium wasn't in existence then but Hampden was, Wembley was Twickenham was along with countless other high profile venues, but as part of their vision for the event the FIM chose to take the final to the sporting icons of Odsal, Norden, Pocking.

but Hampden was

I could be wrong, but wasn't Hampden closed for redevelopment in the mid-1990s, and of course the RFU won't let their precious turf be used for anything other than egg chasing. Twickenham wouldn't have been suitable anyway, as it's a compact square shape where the turf can't be lifted.

The simple fact of the matter is that roofed stadiums suitable for speedway didn't exist in Europe until the latter half of the 1990s. I suspect that BSI also got the Millenium Stadium rather cheap, as it was known to have a paucity of events after its expensive redevelopment. In addition, it had the advantage that the edges of the pitch were on pallets that could be lifted out.

I could be wrong, but wasn't Hampden closed for redevelopment in the mid-1990s, and of course the RFU won't let their precious turf be used for anything other than egg chasing. Twickenham wouldn't have been suitable anyway, as it's a compact square shape where the turf can't be lifted.

The simple fact of the matter is that roofed stadiums suitable for speedway didn't exist in Europe until the latter half of the 1990s. I suspect that BSI also got the Millenium Stadium rather cheap, as it was known to have a paucity of events after its expensive redevelopment. In addition, it had the advantage that the edges of the pitch were on pallets that could be lifted out.

The fact is, prior to BSI doing it you would have said the same things of the Millenium, Parken etc.

Some organisations (the FIM, and you) prefer to look for reasons things cant be done, others (BSI and me) prefer to look at reasons things can be done, and make them happen.

The fact is, prior to BSI doing it you would have said the same things of the Millenium, Parken etc.

Some organisations (the FIM, and you) prefer to look for reasons things cant be done, others (BSI and me) prefer to look at reasons things can be done, and make them happen.

Like the German (Grand?) Prix I suppose.

Like the German (Grand?) Prix I suppose.

Yes exactly like the German GP, OK this time it went pear shaped but again who at the FIM in the early nineties would have had the foresight to see a Speedway GP in Europes premier sporting venue.

It would have been in Pocking or Norden or Abensberg

You know nothing about me, and what I do or don't do. Furthermore, unless you're John Postlethwaite in disguise, I don't see you running the SGP either (and if you are him, you're not even doing that now :blink: ). As far as I can see, your only contribution is to unquestioningly defend the amateurish organisation that is BSI, but if that's making something happen in your book, well fine. :rolleyes:

who at the FIM in the early nineties would have had the foresight to see a Speedway GP in Europes premier sporting venue.

Well in fact they did have the vision, which is why created the SGP and sold it off to BSI. Unfortunately though, their vision did nothing to benefit main speedway nations who actually allow professional riders to exist in the first place.

It would have been in Pocking or Norden or Abensberg

Or erm... the Munich Olympic Stadium? In fact, the 1993 World Final was originally scheduled for the Berlin Olympic Stadium, but the plans for that and Gelsenkirchen demonstrate the problem with having a big speedway event in Germany. With the best will in the world, there simply isn't enough German interest in speedway to support such things.

but as part of their vision for the event the FIM chose to take the final to the sporting icons of Odsal, Norden, Pocking.

Odsal was brilliant for speedway imo! Don't forget the Ullevi Stadium, Wembley, Los Angeles Colliseum, Chorzow (largest sports stadium in Poland apparently!) etc

Just to answer one of the things coming up on this thread about no more temporary tracks in non speedway stadiums.

Taken from the Holsted website.Olsen talking to Dan Philipsen

"Får det dig til at overveje at droppe endagsbanerne?"

Will this see the end of temp tracks?

Olsen:

"Nej. Sporten vokser mere og mere i disse år, og jeg tror omvendt, at vi kommer til at se flere af disse løb på endagsbaner på store stadions."

No.I think quite the opposite.We will see more and more events on temporary tracks in big stadiums

Holsted

Incidentally without the GP that you are so against, and without BSI/IMG, where do you think the World Final would be today. Paqcking Wembley out like some of the clowns on here seem to think, or dead in the water with fans giving the largely meaningless qualifiers a miss (imagine the standard of a British Quarter Final today, it would consist of conference league riders) and the final itself largely ignored by the fans and TV.

Where do get the idea that fans would ignore a one-off World Final..??!!

You have a go at those who have an alternative view to yours (in the one-off WF versus GPs debate) but there is no possible justification in this surmise of yours.

Why would no one turn up to Wembley or Cardiff for a one-off World Final when Cardiff manages what 20-30k for a early round, largely meaningless (in the scheme of things..) GP..?? :unsure::rolleyes:

Your argument makes not one scrap of sense!! :shock:

You say BSI have done nothing with the sport then say if the World Final was in somewhere like the millenium stadium it could have prospered.

Well that is exactly whjat BSI did do, and OK the Millenium wasn't in existence then but Hampden was, Wembley was Twickenham was along with countless other high profile venues, but as part of their vision for the event the FIM chose to take the final to the sporting icons of Odsal, Norden, Pocking.

You've clearly never been to Twickenham then...: there is not a cat in proverbial's chance that motor sport would ever be sanctioned there..!! And for that matter, that game played by 11-a-side with a round ball has also never been allowed to be played there either!!!! :shock:

Odsal was brilliant for speedway imo!

Odsal also got close to 27,000 for its last World Final, which I'm sure BSI would be pretty happy with at most GPs!

Odsal also got close to 27,000 for its last World Final, which I'm sure BSI would be pretty happy with at most GPs!

Yes it did, it also got 35,000 only 5 years earlier, Wembley had 72,000 only 4 years before that. Where would a Bradford World Final be today if that trend continued.

Dont get me wrong, I saw many World Finals from the sixties onwards along with dozens of qualifying rounds and enjoyed nearly all of them, it is simply that I think the GP is better, both in spectacle and as a means of finding a champion

Parsloes 1928 - I was in the pits on Friday for Practice or lack of! People DID appear to have what looked like programmes, but not being supposed to be in there I didnt ask too many questions as to where they came from!!

ALSO- Does anyone know how to claim our `goodwill gesture`?? I have to send the tickets back to see tickets to get my money back, but how will I have any proof of having these tickets once they are sent back to claim our over generous present??!!

Yes it did, it also got 35,000 only 5 years earlier

I don't think it's fair to make the comparison. Odsal's capacity was cut to 27,000 after the nearby Valley Parade fire, and the 1990 World Final was a sell-out.

Parsloes 1928 - I was in the pits on Friday for Practice or lack of! People DID appear to have what looked like programmes, but not being supposed to be in there I didnt ask too many questions as to where they came from!!

ALSO- Does anyone know how to claim our `goodwill gesture`?? I have to send the tickets back to see tickets to get my money back, but how will I have any proof of having these tickets once they are sent back to claim our over generous present??!!

dont you have a booking nr or booking confirmation-email or something like that?