British Speedway Forum

Just Why did Matt Ford apply to hold the "New Year Classic" at Poole, if he had done it prior to Tim's death that would have been laughable as why would any promotoer in their right mind apply to hold a "duplicate" meeting so it can only be assumed that the rumours are true and it was "requested" just after Tim's death - talk about a grave digger for financial gain.

Sorry but can you please tell me where it states Matt Ford has applied to hold the meeting at Poole?? :blink:

Edited by pcnorwood

Another question - Why was Newport the only club that could run an out of season meeting.

Luckily enough Newport have got someone who wants to take on QM but as we see it there is no guaranteed mention of there being a team there next year and at the moment it seems that an application has to be made to run the New Year Classic again with no guarantees.

Who really wants to kick whoever in the teeth and try and take anything away from Newport ? Why should anyone want to prevent them from running in 2009 ? The more speedway teams the better - afterall its not as though we are a majority sport.

Sorry but can you please tell me where it states Matt Ford has applied to hold the meeting at Poole?? :blink:

Another rumour that came from Poole Stadium last night

The New Year Classic belongs at Hayley Stadium, It's Tim's legacy & anyone with any moral decency should see it stays there.

Good luck to Mark Legg & Malc Holloway.

Another rumour that came from Poole Stadium last night

The important word in that line is 'rumour', so why slag off an innocent man until proven guilty then??

Well considering Newport are no longer running it would be a bit stupid keeping it there, don't you think?

A crass & unsympathetic comment. :angry:

Another question - Why was Newport the only club that could run an out of season meeting.

Newport aren't the only club who can or have run an out of season meeting, but I think there are a limited number of licences available for out of season meetings (3 springs to mind for some reason).

Obviously this makes the licences a valuable commodity as speedway fans are gagging to see a bit of track action during the long winter months, but if an application was submitted by another promotion, as suggested, 3 days after Tim Stone passed away, I quite agree with SCB it's akin to grave robbing!

The New Year Classic belongs at Hayley Stadium, It's Tim's legacy & anyone with any moral decency should see it stays there.

Good luck to Mark Legg & Malc Holloway.

Don't think it'll be M&M promoting the event, but as existing BSPA promoters they can apply for a licence on behalf of someone else. :wink:

The important word in that line is 'rumour', so why slag off an innocent man until proven guilty then??

Unfortunately, there is generally no smoke without fire and like you said the word "rumour" plays a significant part in a lot of stories these days. No one has "slagged off an innocent man" and I think if he had to be "proven guilty" he would have had to have committed an enormous crime unless of course you know any different !!

NO - seriously - time will be the revealer of all future arrangements and unfortunately we all have to sit and wait.

It is hoped that Newport can keep the New Year Classic in memory of TIM STONE

Unfortunately, there is generally no smoke without fire and like you said the word "rumour" plays a significant part in a lot of stories these days.

Hmmm, maybe it's just me putting 2+2 together but after reviewing this topic I reckon that smoke's getting thicker. :blink::unsure:

OMG i can not believe this thread. If you had prove that the promoter you're talking about had done this then fair enough. But to attack someone like that based on a rumour is ridulous. Most rumours turn out to be rubbish.

Hope you lot are going to apoligise to him if it doesn't turn out to be true.

Most rumours turn out to be rubbish.

Actually, most turn out to have more that an element of truth. Certainly those that come from certain people.

I'd go as far as to say that if Vince posts something he has it on good authority as if anything he is known to play down the rumour side of things.

Actually, most turn out to have more that an element of truth. Certainly those that come from certain people.

I'd go as far as to say that if Vince posts something he has it on good authority as if anything he is known to play down the rumour side of things.

Well i still think its harsh to attack someone based on a rumour! If its true then fair enough.

I don't see what all the fuss is about....proven until guilty.

Anyway, I am sure Tim Stone would have been be happy if Newport would have passed it to Poole and given the New Year Classic the exposure, atmosphere and the big crowds out of a mark of respect.

I will say that I think I made it plain that it was just something I heard, it does however fit in with the story from hawk which came from a undeniably good source but also didn't name a club. I deliberately didn't put a name to anything because it is rumour.

Anyway, I am sure Tim Stone would have been be happy if Newport would have passed it to Poole and given the New Year Classic the exposure, atmosphere and the big crowds out of a mark of respect.

and the profits that go with it eh! :rolleyes:

Given that comment and the pride that Tim took in being the originator of the event I would have to say you didn't know Tim at all!

He took a date that nobody else wanted or considered practical and made it work and then over the past few years there were many suggestions that it should be 'shared around' - presumably because it was now a proven success. The fact still remains that given the weather conditions at that time of year most tracks will suffer more cancelations than meetings. The very reason that people complained about Newport being dusty, the excellent drainage, saw only one meeting postponed in ten years I believe and that was re-run the following weekend. I doubt there is another track that could get close to matching that.