British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jim Blanchard

Erik Gundersen Danish Speedway Superstar

I actually think Gundersen was better than Neilsen, Hans didn't really start to shine until after Erics sad and very premature retirement. Although at the time the rivalry between the two was superb and no doubt good crowd pullers when both were in town.

I actually think Gundersen was better than Neilsen, Hans didn't really start to shine until after Erics sad and very premature retirement. Although at the time the rivalry between the two was superb and no doubt good crowd pullers when both were in town.

The rivalry was unbeleivable they really didnt get on at one point a lot to do with Ole supporting Erik, as for who was the best thats another one that is all down to personal opinion, Along with Penhall Erik was my all time hero so maybe im a bit biased but i think week in week out Hans was the better more consistent of the two but when the pressure was on and it really was needed Erik was the man. Personality wise i think Erik wins hands down (no pun intended!!!) a really great down to earth approachable guy.

Arne used to work for the Lotus Factory near me, played pool for the "Windmill" Pub in Wymondham and lived in the Hingham area where he had a Pub. A few years back Arne was taken to Oxford to watch England meet Denmark in a Test Match

Yes, Laurence I would like some background on Erik please. I picked up that CVS first brought him over initially and he told me he still had the original contract that Erik signed, and that he generally hates flying, and that in the same 12 months he held all the speedway championships, individual, team, pairs and long track. The only rider in history to achieve that? Also, is it ever likely that he would ever visit the UK again?

Eriks fear of flying stems from a near miss one Easter when travelling back to the UK Erik, Ole Olsen and Tommy Knudsen were on a small plane that developed problems abd looked likely to end up in the channel at one point, miraculously the plane limped to an airfield where all three continued their journeys to meetings that same hight.

Such crap isn't even deserving of a response but I will respond anyway. Nielsens best years were 1983 to 1989, during his long running battles with Erik. Quite the opposite of your version is the truth and Hans actually lost some edge after Erik's accident, althogh still a potent force for 10 more years

Such crap isn't even deserving of a response but I will respond anyway. Nielsens best years were 1983 to 1989, during his long running battles with Erik.

I don't see the need to always be so abusive :unsure: Ok,you don't agree with someone,but why can't you just post your opinion and prove them wrong?Anyway,i think until Hans made the breakthrough in 86 Erik held the upper hand psychologically.Hans tended to have a thing about big tracks whether that was just in the mind?I would guess it was,but he seemed to think in the eraly days that he went better on the small tracks.I thought they were both great.And having met both of them this year i think they are both nice guys as well.Although Erik made a great impression in the fact that he remembers me from the previous time and comes up to say hello.Even complimented me on my work which was an unbelievable feeling :approve:

I thought they were both great.And having met both of them this year i think they are both nice guys as well.Although Erik made a great impression in the fact that he remembers me from the previous time and comes up to say hello.Even complimented me on my work which was an unbelievable feeling

Aww, that was nice of him Doug. Its always a good feeling if someone praises your work and especially if the subjects themselves acknowledges your efforts. Where did you meet them both?

I met Erik on numerous occasions this year when he was helping the youngsters.Esbjerg,Holsted,Vojens and at the Youth World Championships in Skaerbaek.Which is also where i met Hans.Tommy Knudsen also made a rare visit to a speedway meeting for the Final

Edited by iris123