British Speedway Forum
asturmer

Shawn Moran, Down And Out In Beverley Hills?

Great photo of the Miracle Worker.

Why thank you. Taken at the mecca of speedway, the legendary Hyde Road............

Why thank you. Taken at the mecca of speedway, the legendary Hyde Road............

The real home of Belle Vue a real race track, just like Halifax.

......and here's a picture of Mr Moran in typical full-throttle action, 1983 style. Entertainment+

I'm sure that you and my dad must have been taking photos at the same time, we have dozens from the late 70's and early 80's - predominantly of away riders as they had to walk up from where the away dressing room used to be. (Which is now the disabled lift entrance to the Panorama Room for those that know Owlerton)

Shawn & Kelly. Really nice people. Probably among the most naturally gifted the sport has ever seen. I read where after Shawn (only american ever to do so) won the World Longtrack Final, was given a beautiful crystal vase for his tremendous accomplishment and he put it in a bag to take home and it was shattered during baggage handling. Enough to make anyone drop to their knees in tears and Shawn just brushed it off. Two of the greatest entertainers in the sport, and never having big heads. I havent heard anything on their situation currently, but whatever or wherever they are, they packed 100 years of living into about 10-15 years, they brought a lot to the sport. They got a lot from the sport. They made some great memories for many of us. I dont know if it is still up on youtube but that (run-off for the win) race with Kelly & PC at Kings Lynn in the WTC round in 1982. Just look at Kellys bike control. Just beautiful. And Shawn, was actually a bit better than Kelly. Hope those fellas are OK. Good people.

Edited by sandman

......and here's a picture of Mr Moran in typical full-throttle action, 1983 style. Entertainment+

Once again Tigerman thanks for the memories, I think I will get the Hovis out and the best butter. :approve: :approve:

Shawn & Kelly. Really nice people. Probably among the most naturally gifted the sport has ever seen. I read where after Shawn (only american ever to do so) won the World Longtrack Final, was given a beautiful crystal vase for his tremendous accomplishment and he put it in a bag to take home and it was shattered during baggage handling. Enough to make anyone drop to their knees in tears and Shawn just brushed it off. Two of the greatest entertainers in the sport, and never having big heads. I havent heard anything on their situation currently, but whatever or wherever they are, they packed 100 years of living into about 10-15 years, they brought a lot to the sport. They got a lot from the sport. They made some great memories for many of us. I dont know if it is still up on youtube but that (run-off for the win) race with Kelly & PC at Kings Lynn in the WTC round in 1982. Just look at Kellys bike control. Just beautiful. And Shawn, was actually a bit better than Kelly. Hope those fellas are OK. Good people.

Cannot disagree with you there Sandman, I just wish that Spin KIng Junior could have seen them, I did try to bid for a video on Shawn a few years back on Ebay, so I could show him, but I was outbidded.

This is sad news. Shawn was always one of my favourite riders as a kid. Spectacular on track and always ready with a smile, a chat and an autograph for this star-struck young fan. He was also one of the most sporting riders you could ever come across..he was always gracious be it in defeat or victory. I sincerely hope he manages to get himself together...he gave British supporters years of pleasure.

Once again Tigerman thanks for the memories, I think I will get the Hovis out and the best butter. :approve: :approve:

My pleasure; I just can't help myself............

Don't put the Hovis away just yet.

This is sad news. Shawn was always one of my favourite riders as a kid. Spectacular on track and always ready with a smile, a chat and an autograph for this star-struck young fan. He was also one of the most sporting riders you could ever come across..he was always gracious be it in defeat or victory. I sincerely hope he manages to get himself together...he gave British supporters years of pleasure.

An excellent summary, for those who didn't have the pleasure of seeing him ride

I'm sure that you and my dad must have been taking photos at the same time, we have dozens from the late 70's and early 80's - predominantly of away riders as they had to walk up from where the away dressing room used to be. (Which is now the disabled lift entrance to the Panorama Room for those that know Owlerton)

Making me feel old now, but I guess there's no escaping reality. I took many photographs in the early-mid 80's and had the privilege of getting a bird's eye view from the centre green. Those were the days........

The consummate entertainer.

Aww thanks for that mate, I have just been sat here looking at the photo's. The Shay, now that was a racetrack, long straights with those heavily banked bends, and the crowd so close to the track, when the riders went down the back straight you felt that you could reach out and touch them, they just don't make tracks like that anymore.

Sat here trying to think of a modern day rider who reminds me of Shawn, I just cannot think of one at all, no fits the bill. Okay Kelly was probably more exciting hanging off the bike, but Shawn had this wicked style that was ultra smooth, and totally a joy to watch whether he gated or not the way he passed riders sometimes he made it look so easy.

Aww thanks for that mate, I have just been sat here looking at the photo's. The Shay, now that was a racetrack, long straights with those heavily banked bends, and the crowd so close to the track, when the riders went down the back straight you felt that you could reach out and touch them, they just don't make tracks like that anymore.

Sat here trying to think of a modern day rider who reminds me of Shawn, I just cannot think of one at all, no fits the bill. Okay Kelly was probably more exciting hanging off the bike, but Shawn had this wicked style that was ultra smooth, and totally a joy to watch whether he gated or not the way he passed riders sometimes he made it look so easy.

Shawn really was a superb rider and one who should have achieved more. Gating was never his strong point but that made him spectacular to watch as he picked his way through the field. As Falcace has said he was also surprisingly humble and genuinely one of the nicest riders you could wish to meet, always having time for the fans. A true legend in the eyes of Sheffield fans who were privileged enough to see him ride in the 80's. An inspired signing by Ray Glover.

Shooey - thanks for the memories...........

Edited by WATigerman