British Speedway Forum
asturmer

Shawn Moran, Down And Out In Beverley Hills?

spin king

I was not advocating financial help, but merely encouraging fans to send them good wishes , just to let them know they are not forgotten. who knows what a few well chosen words of might do in their lives.

There are many on this forum who are quite articulate in their postings, that effort could be used in a few words that may just make a difference in someones life.

I speak to many ex riders who are chuffed and given a lift when I tell them they are remembered by the speedway fraternity.

Regards Tony

He maybe, just maybe bloody dead. Do you often wish dead people happy birthday? Spin king you are really getting up my nose now. Does that ring a little bell with you for christsakes? 'DEAD'? What is it with you people? How can he be safe and well - if he is dead? Do you all live in la la land? Lets find out before we go all a 'ga ga'...and before we get gooey eyed and all this 'keeping safe and all that rubbish'. What are you lot on? Methanol?

I hope he is still alive, of course I do, and I do seem to be the only one that actually wants to help him financially if he still is?

Been on the vino again Jim?. "He may be dead"? where on earth did that come from, Spin King simply wished him a happy birthday. Don't think it is Spin King living in "la la land.

Kelly has long had a problem with the booze, even during his racing days, anyone remember him being withdrawn from a meeting at Hyde Road by the track doctor on some made up grounds. The truth was he was pissed, almost staggering round the track walk. It was largely covered up at the time though.

Shawn, although fond of a drink, managed to avoid addiction for a while longer but it appears that he has now spiralled as low as Kelly.

Although probably not destined to reach old age both Shawn and Kelly are still with us and so a belated happy birthday for yesterday to Shooey.

Yes, my apologises to ‘spin king’ as my comment was a little harsh. Due more to a long and frustrating day, rather than the vino Jeff but my point is still valid and being that earlier in the thread it was suggested he might have has lost a limb, and no one actually knows what his circumstances are for sure and as I said he might not even be alive for all we know.

I hope he is safe and well but until we know for sure its all still speculation.

Sadly Jim they are not the first, and probably wont be the last, former riders to succumb to the evils of alchohol.

Soren Sjosten was always fond of a drink but the death of his brother sent him into downward spiral, eventually dying little more than a tramp in his native Sweden.

Chris Pusey was another who died young, very young in fact, only in his fifties, through alchohol.

And coincidentally all 4 rode for the Aces

Edited by Jeff.

As for wishing Shawn a Happy Birthday, why can't I, the man was a hero of mine, and I hope that both he and Kelly are both safe and well.

Hear, hear

Tigerblade - here's another pic to make you feel 20 years younger! (PS I'm an Owl but I won't h :) ld that against you)

Edited by WATigerman

Hear, hear

Tigerblade - here's another pic to make you feel 20 years younger! (PS I'm an Owl but I won't h :) ld that against you)

1984 Overseas Final from Belle Vue?

Shawn was third, went on to win the Inter Continental Final and the flopped badly in Gothenburg

Edited by Jeff.

1984 Overseas Final from Belle Vue?

Shawn was third, went on to win the Inter Continental Final and the flopped badly in Gothenburg

Indeed yes. I was there and had high hopes of his success but alas..........

I have had a quick look through my speedway photo's WATigerman and I cannot seem to be able to find not one single photo of Shawn Moran. I am not sure how that could be. I was at the SWC at Bradford in 1989, and I have 4 shots of who I think is maybe Kelly Moran?

Jeff; can you confirm for me that it is Kelly or someone completely different? Not the best years for me in recognition terms - as we only did a few of the really big meetings.:oops:

Here

And Here

And again here

Edit: Another one of the USA team for that meeting;

Here

Indeed Jim all 4 are Kelly Moran, Shawn wasn't in the USA team that day, the team was the 4 in the photo plus Greg Hancock.

Edited by Jeff.

Yes, my apologises to ‘spin king’ as my comment was a little harsh. Due more to a long and frustrating day, rather than the vino Jeff but my point is still valid and being that earlier in the thread it was suggested he might have has lost a limb, and no one actually knows what his circumstances are for sure and as I said he might not even be alive for all we know.

I hope he is safe and well but until we know for sure its all still speculation.

Thanks Jim, I have seen your PM and replied, and there are no hard feelings on my part.

spin king

I was not advocating financial help, but merely encouraging fans to send them good wishes , just to let them know they are not forgotten. who knows what a few well chosen words of might do in their lives.

There are many on this forum who are quite articulate in their postings, that effort could be used in a few words that may just make a difference in someones life.

I speak to many ex riders who are chuffed and given a lift when I tell them they are remembered by the speedway fraternity.

Regards Tony

Totally agree with you, and think that we all got few cross wires last night, but I think that what is more important is that at the end of the day, we all care about Shawn and Kelly and that is important.

Hear, hear

When you look at that photo you can see a rider who just makes it look so easy, I know that I am biased but you can keep your Gundersen's and your Nielsen's for me Shawn was the man, and there was nobody around at the time that I would have swapped him for.

Sadly Jim they are not the first, and probably wont be the last, former riders to succumb to the evils of alchohol.

Soren Sjosten was always fond of a drink but the death of his brother sent him into downward spiral, eventually dying little more than a tramp in his native Sweden.

Chris Pusey was another who died young, very young in fact, only in his fifties, through alchohol.

And coincidentally all 4 rode for the Aces

It is heartbreaking, but keeps happening to sportsmen of all sports, I think that it must be something to do with the buzz of the sport that they do, and when that has gone they going looking for something else to give them that buzz. I don't think that we can fully understand it unless you have been in the same situation.

When you look at that photo you can see a rider who just makes it look so easy, I know that I am biased but you can keep your Gundersen's and your Nielsen's for me Shawn was the man, and there was nobody around at the time that I would have swapped him for.

I'm with you on that one. He was just one of those riders who gave everything and made it look so easy. I wouldn't have swapped him for anyone either

I have had a quick look through my speedway photo's WATigerman and I cannot seem to be able to find not one single photo of Shawn Moran.

I've got the odd :) ne or two Jim...........

Edited by WATigerman

I can confirm that thankfully both Kelly and Shawn are still alive, I wont say they are well because a lot of the speculation about drink problems are sadly true, Shawn is currently living with his mom in a place called adelanto and Kelly is currently in San Diego. The accident that Shawn was involved in was about 2 years ago when he flipped a dune buggy and it landed on his arm badly breaking it to the extent where they thought it would have to be amputated, fortunatley this wasnt the case but Shawn had no feeling in the arm for a long time and even now he only has about 45% grip. Its all very sad that two of the greatest entertainers ever should end up this way.

Edited by rami

I can confirm that thankfully both Kelly and Shawn are still alive, I wont say they are well because a lot of the speculation about drink problems are sadly true, Shawn is currently living with his mom in a place called adelanto and Kelly is currently in San Diego. The accident that Shawn was involved in was about 2 years ago when he flipped a dune buggy and it landed on his arm badly breaking it to the extent where they thought it would have to be amputated, fortunatley this wasnt the case but Shawn had no feeling in the arm for a long time and even now he only has about 45% grip. Its all very sad that two of the greatest entertainers ever should end up this way.

Thanks for the latest information Rami, it is very much appreciated.

How sad to hear about Shawn and Kellys current plight :( As a few already know, I'm lucky enough to be named after Shawn so have a more than passing interest in him and his career. The photo on this thread just show how amazing he was, I love watching any video footage I can find of him too, he truly could do magical things with a bike. I only wish when I was younger I can fully apreciated what I was watching when I got to see him and it's only in recent year I have been lucky enough to see what a talent he was thanks to old videos and youtube.