British Speedway Forum
Conkers

Sgp & Swc Calendar Confirmed

When you know for definite, let me know.Depends how many of you come,you can always kip by me in hamburg.Good night life B) Better than Vojens anyway :lol:

Suave, will be in touch.

Vojens?

Lunacy, BSI/IMG shoot themselves in the foot again.

IMG Thought Process

a) they wanted Australia, no-one wanted it there

B) they wanted Russia, it wasn't workable

c) Germany has gone wrong

d) Right then Olly where else can we hold this extra GP?

Vojens?

IMG Thought Process

:lol: spot on Hazzman. What is this new GP to be called? In previous years we have had the second Swedish GP called the Scandinavian GP and the second Polish GP called the European GP. What's this extra Danish one to be called? Any suggestions?

:lol: spot on Hazzman. What is this new GP to be called? In previous years we have had the second Swedish GP called the Scandinavian GP and the second Polish GP called the European GP. What's this extra Danish one to be called? Any suggestions?

Nordic !

It calls Nordic GP.....

found on www.speedway.dk

"...Speedway Grand Prix-serien kommer tilbage til Vojens. Lørdag d. 29. august 2009 skal Vojens Speedway Center være vært ved det Nordiske Grand Prix..."

....Speedway Grand-Prix series is coming back to Vojens. Saturday 29th august 2009 at Vojens Speedway Center the Nordic Grand Prix is running.....

so what flag do they use?

I noticed that on speedwayworld a 'scandinavian' GP uses a flag containing the appropriate countries but the Nordic GP uses a Danish one!!!! :rolleyes::unsure:

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Nov 14 2008, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is it , that in this years GP series Poland, Sweden and now Denmark get two GP's, yet in Great Britain we always only have one ?

<it's the three major speedway nations! ;)

Just exactly what does the BSI Speedway business plan say ?

I think it's a case of trying to economise, and focusing on the few countries where GPs will be reasonably financially successful. In the past, the business model was also to find local promoters willing to pay a substantial licence fee to BSI for the right to stage a GP (with the locals assuming the financial risk of course). However, not only do rumours suggest that the staging fees had to be scaled down, the number of GPs that BSI promote directly has been increasing, which suggests willing victims haven't been exactly forthcoming. ;)

What happened to the GP in Australia?

I don't think that was ever a realistic proposition was it? The financial risk in staging it is just too great, especially in the current financial climate (BSI-wise and in the wider world. :blink:)

I see that Vojens is back. I wonder how?

Well isn't that Ole's track, and presumably they needed to find a replacement for Gelsenkirchen at short notice. :D

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Nov 14 2008, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is it , that in this years GP series Poland, Sweden and now Denmark get two GP's, yet in Great Britain we always only have one ?

Because the Cardiff GP is the showcase event that is used (or was used) to demonstrate how successful the product is, and to attract wider business (or put another way, to give the SGP a 'lift' :wink:). If you stage two events in Britain, you're likely to water down the impact, not to mention the crowds.

Does Britain really need two GPs anyway? For that matter, does any country? :unsure:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Wasn't Russia postulated for 2010? However, don't underestimate the logistical difficulties in holding anything in Russia - it's a nightmare even if you've good locals to help you, and I speak from experience.

Surely the question should be more like who is willing to host it? :D

Wasn't Russia postulated for 2010? However, don't underestimate the logistical difficulties in holding anything in Russia - it's a nightmare even if you've good locals to help you, and I speak from experience.

We know that much but I wouldn't doubt for a minute that once they plumped for Emil, they thought about the opportunity to host a GP in Russia 2009.

so what flag do they use?

I noticed that on speedwayworld a 'scandinavian' GP uses a flag containing the appropriate countries but the Nordic GP uses a Danish one!!!! :rolleyes::unsure:

Got to be some sort of horrible mix, Scaninavian GP has the Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian, so perhaps add Finnish to that.

Edited by ballinger

Vojens?

IMG Thought Process

I forsee now that BSI Speedway will within 5 years decide to end their involvement with SGP, the FIM selling the rights to Speedsport, Ole Olsen's company, with Jacob Olsen as Race Director. Vojens will then have a SGP every year, and each year it will rain there :angry:

I forsee now that BSI Speedway will within 5 years decide to end their involvement with SGP

I don't think I'd even give it five years... :unsure:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Really disappointed with the calendar. Nothing new there at all. Looks like Gorican for the World U21 Final for me. Anyone fancy coming along ? I could run a coach, Zagreb to Gorican, just like in the old days !

Really disappointed with the calendar. Nothing new there at all. Looks like Gorican for the World U21 Final for me. Anyone fancy coming along ? I could run a coach, Zagreb to Gorican, just like in the old days !

Gorican ? Is that Croatia ? I'd be up for that for sure.