British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jonesy

Silver Helmet 1969/70

Does anyone have details of Silver Helmet races involving Doncaster riders during seasons 1969 and 1970? I have a vague recollection of George Major winning it at some stage in 1970 but the grey cells are struggling to come up with any more detail.

Help!

George Major won the Silver Helmet from Taffy Owen and then defeated Phil Pratt and Geoff Bouchard before losing it to Maurie Robinson in 1970. Sorry I don't have the exact dates to hand.

There was no silver helmet in 1969.

George Major won the Silver Helmet from Taffy Owen and then defeated Phil Pratt and Geoff Bouchard before losing it to Maurie Robinson in 1970. Sorry I don't have the exact dates to hand.

There was no silver helmet in 1969.

Thanks for the info. Do you know who held the Helmet for the longest period in 1970?

John Louis. He took the helmet from Eric Broadbelt and then defeated Geoff Maloney, Gil Farmer, Arthur Price, Doug Wyer, Maurie Robinson, Eric Broadbelt and Reg Wilson to finish the season as holder. He then defended it successfully five more times at the start of the 1971 season.

Incidentally, a few good old names to conjure with there!