British Speedway Forum
SHALEWAY69

My First Meeting

I think the match against Poole was the last ever Speedway at New Cross track. I think they folded a few days later :shock:

Don't make my cry, Bryan.... :sad:

Anyway, you are right. The last match at New Cross was against Poole on 2 August 1963. The Rangers raced an away fixture at Poole three days later on 5 August and then that was it.

Incidentally the last rider ever to win a race at the Frying Pan was my old mate, Stan Stevens. Jimmy Squibb was last in the race and therefore the last rider ever to cross the finishing line at New Cross in a competitive race (there were some junior practice laps after the meeting finished, so I don't know who was actually the last rider to cross the line).

my first match was in 1978 newcastle diamonds v red star (prague) they had in there side jiri stancl,vaclav & jan verner, petr ondrasisk and the late zdenk kudrna i was hooked after that

First meeting of Newcastle's 1962 season. Never went in 1961, although I could hear the bikes from my house. Went with a friend, had no idea what it was all about, but it only took one race.

From that day my favourite rider was Brian Craven who for years had I thought won heat 1. It wasn't until years later when I was cataloguing programmes I realised that honour went to George Glen of all people, no doubt shepherded home by Gil Goldfinch in second.

April 23 1962

NEWCASTLE 47

Goldfinch 9

Glen 9

Craven 12

Penniket 1

Wilkinson 10

Dent 3

Andrew(s) 3

BRADFORD 31

Roper 4

Jenkins 3

Hickman 8

Bruce 1

Pymar 7

Day 2

Gerrard 6

Edited by jackofdiamonds

anybody know what gil :rolleyes: goldfinch or g. penniket are doing these days :rolleyes:

Sadly Gil Goldfinch passed away a few years back. Cannot help with Geoff but believe he is still living in the south of England.

Tony

Yes Geoff Penniket is still alive-I asked Vic White earlier this year and he confirmed that "Plunkett" is still with us.Don't make characters like that any more!!But I was sad to hear Gil has passed away-anyone have more details?

Sadly Gil Goldfinch passed away a few years back. Cannot help with Geoff but believe he is still living in the south of England.

Tony

gil commited suicide and geoff is alive and well and living in surrey

june 1971 dragged down to poole speedway by my parent(i was a football mad 12 y.o.) to see some one called barry briggs

stood on the corner got covered in shale briggo fell off whilst a mile in front mike cake won the race reidar eide 2nd poole won 40-38 the teams

poole swindon

reidar eide barry briggs

mike cake pete munday

pete smith mike broadbank

bo wirebrand mike keen

odd fossengen martin ashby

john langfeild clive hitch

derek cook jimmy gallagher

i was hooked straight away and the rest is history as they say

Thanx oddfossengen -tho sad to hear re Gil-another ex speedway guy to commit suicide-he joins a long list-what is it about our sport.When did Gil die?

Never mind Norman, you have since been educated to the fact that Ove Fundin became & still is the greatest speedway rider this earth has or will ever know about

My first meeting was at Norwich in 1946 when my dad took me, 6 and a half years old, to see the opening match against Sheffield. Just imagine seeing Bert Spencer & Tommy Allott on a first visit. These two remained in my memory as they were two of my heroes of the 40s Second Division. Tommy was one of the very few who could match white line leg trailer, Bert Spencer at the Firs Stadium. Then there were Wilf Jay, Paddy Mills & Ted Bravery together with Roy Duke & Donnie Houghton in the Stars team against Tommy Bateman, Stan Williams & Jack D White for the Tigers. It is no wonder I was hooked on Speedway for ever.

You have mentioned my Grandfather in the Riders line-up Don Houghton. I have lots of background information which I have researched if you or anyone one would like to know more. I am happy to share. Please contact me for more info :) - Allison HOUGHTON - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA