British Speedway Forum
SHALEWAY69

Lady Speedway Riders

I, like everyone else here is having an opinion on the subject Norbold ...... sorry but don't understand your last line about a few men having been World Champion in those 40 years, obviously (as it was in the one offs) it was the best on the night that won, if and that really should be a big IF there is a woman out there that can race with the best and become World Champion then maybe she would care to step forward but, you and I both know that really is NEVER going to happen. Well not in my lifetime anyway :lol:

My view is that it is all about committment and determination. a single minded approach. i concede that we will never see a woman in the grand prix series, but if there had not been a ban on women for 40 years who knows the sucess Fay Taylour may have acheived.

A little known fact is she was the first freelance uk rider to visit Australia, that showed grit and determination. this was the era when there were woman aviators setting air records and racing cars. There was a will to win and prove equality.

I do not think it is a question of gendre, race or colour.

You could say there has never been an Aboriginal, African or Asian speedway rider, [ with the exception of Antonio Lindback] but it is a question of wether they wanted to do it , not the ability.

Obviously you never saw her Rabbit :wink: ..... She was like a spaceman with padding in places I didn't think you could put it :blink: 10/10 to her for having a go but Women (with the exception of Maxine Hill and Jessica Lamb) should not ride speedway/grasstrack bikes :approve:

well i cant see any problem with females riding speedway at all. i rode motox and speedway . i also did rugby , football, figure skating, tennis , bmx racing, dancing, and hockey . most of these sports are male based sports. but did i care???? did i sucseed?? and did i give the boys a run for their money ???and the main question did i enjoy it ??? YESSSSSS loved it the best years of my life so far. people winge about kids these days sitting in front of computers 24/7 . kids cant win back then or nowa days .

i got on very well with all the lads i raced speedway with and had great times. the fact that i was female only ruffled a few guys feathers and that just made me more determined to beat them . the one tricky bit i had to over come was the changing rooms at tracks , half the time i was in a cleaning cupboard ,or a toilet , but didnt bother me . my main aim was to get on that track and race .

GO GIRL POWER . IF U GOT THE GUTS TO RIDE SPEEDWAY . GET OUT THERE AND DO IT !!!!!!

no you prob wont be world champ or appearing in a gp . but how many MALE riders that compete all the time do this!!!! :lol::lol:

Bloody good on ya ..... like I say I'm entitled to an opinion and so I'm having it please or offend I don't think girls/ladies/women should ride speedway :approve:

Your quote not mine ........

GO GIRL POWER . IF U GOT THE GUTS TO RIDE SPEEDWAY . GET OUT THERE AND DO IT !!!!!!

I believe Simons wife is called Andrea, Bob, so maybe that where the confusion is coming from. As for the others at Telford, wasnt the other girl who raced against Julie Cross, Madeline Fundin the Grandaughter of Ove :unsure:

Simon's wife is Andrea, Julie actually rode in the England team that day if I remember correctly at No. 4 and scored about 5 points.

Edited by Main Man

Ah,thats it.I knew that name from somewhere! :wink:

Isnt Madeline Ove's daughter? I remember the match races at Wembley Indoor,against another girl.Wasnt she American? Bobbie Fisher or something like it?

Madeline is Ove's daughter. He mentioned that Ivan said that he would show her how to do it in the car park at Wembley, but he was not there himself.

Montana Jowett won the support class amateur championships at Scunny this summer beating all the guys. :o A photo of her receiving the championship trophy from Mrs. B

Here

Jessica Lamb rode in one of the early rounds at Scunny and I am sure this is a photo of her. She looked confident and smooth though lacking a little speed.

Here

Edited by Jim Blanchard

You could say there has never been an Aboriginal......speedway rider

You certainly could say that but I'd suggest you may be wrong if you did. I gather one of the riders at a recent meeting at Pinjar Park was of indigenous descent.

Edit - There is/was another female rider who took part in amateur meetings at Scunthorpe. She's from Scotland. I can't remember her name though.

That lady is Wendy Skinner. Other female riders that spring to mind are Amy Carpenter, who rode in the British Under-15 Championship before retiring, plus Su Marshall and Sarah Cook who I ride in South Track Riders' meetings. Montana Jowett is probably the best female rider at the moment, having defeated Jessica Lamb when Jess made a brief reappearance on shale at Scunny this summer. She is also a regular second halfer and notably led Ben Hopwood for a lap in one race. There is also a young girl called Rachel who is riding very well on our mini-track.

I thought Jessica Lamb rode for Plymouth in some early Conference meetings when the devils restarted

She did . I also included her in some of the Carmarthen(Clwb Caerfyrddin) Dragons meetings we had on CL tracks the other year.

Madeline is Ove's daughter. He mentioned that Ivan said that he would show her how to do it in the car park at Wembley, but he was not there himself.

Montana Jowett won the support class amateur championships at Scunny this summer beating all the guys. :o A photo of her receiving the championship trophy from Mrs. B

Here

Jessica Lamb rode in one of the early rounds at Scunny and I am sure this is a photo of her. She looked confident and smooth though lacking a little speed.

Here

Don't know the other lady but Monty Jowett defo kicks (male) butt, don't take my word for it ask any of the guys in the Scunny Amateur Champs. I remember seeing Madeline Fundin race USA's Bobbi Hunter at Wembley Arena....

well i cant see any problem with females riding speedway at all. i rode motox and speedway . i also did rugby , football, figure skating, tennis , bmx racing, dancing, and hockey . most of these sports are male based sports. but did i care???? did i sucseed?? and did i give the boys a run for their money ???and the main question did i enjoy it ??? YESSSSSS loved it the best years of my life so far. people winge about kids these days sitting in front of computers 24/7 . kids cant win back then or nowa days .

i got on very well with all the lads i raced speedway with and had great times. the fact that i was female only ruffled a few guys feathers and that just made me more determined to beat them . the one tricky bit i had to over come was the changing rooms at tracks , half the time i was in a cleaning cupboard ,or a toilet , but didnt bother me . my main aim was to get on that track and race .

no you prob wont be world champ or appearing in a gp . but how many MALE riders that compete all the time do this!!!! :lol::lol:

Well said

Saw one of those Sport From Around The World progs on a dig TV channel showing "speedway from Costa Mesa, Cailf - with a difference; the riders are all women". And there were 8 per race. Seems Saturday is Ladies' Night at Costa Mesa Speedway....

Here

Here

I think the action shot is Wendy not Jessica,certainly looks like wendy's bike.

Well said

well somebody has to stick up for us girls montana.. hehe . who says only lads can ride speedway?? ive seen many lads doing balllet, dancing and lots of other female sports.. the more this little debate goes on the more keener i am to dust off my kit and get back on my bike and kick butt !!! lol well try im prob very rusty and unfit now!