British Speedway Forum
SteveEvans

Billy Hamill Farewell - Wolverhampton 22 March

A great afternoon. As previously documented the Crump/Fisher race was awesome and Woffinden was very impressive, even if he did lose out to two of Monmore's veternan track craftsmen after leading them. Thought Wells looked good, Kennett deserved more than he got. The no show from Nicholls (BOO!) handed a rostrum place to Lindgren as he wasn't in heat 20 (Adams v Hencock v Crump v PK).

Felt for Greg in heat 20 he was the only rider that didn't ride the very apparent inside blue groove that had appeared in an attempt to pass someone and missed out because of it - not enough water & too much wind. Crump deserved to win, he looked absolutely awesome in his first ride I was sure he'd taken the track record and Fisher did a great job holding him back for 3.9 laps.

Great to meet Steve Evans and thanks for your efforts in organising the event.

Thought Proctor found the pace a little too hot to handle (the new Monmore mobile chicane?) and Klindt was utterly awful for a rider that has called Monmore his home track for a year now. Complin needs more power and to learn to gate, for a rider that grew up and Sheffield he was smooth enough around the tight turns just had no pace. Smolinski did enough to suggest he is worth a punt for an EL track in need of rider.

I'm sure Billy enjoyed the day as much as we all did. Surely PK's involvement in heat 5 of Cradley v Wolves wasn't needed, it should have been the show down of the four American's as it always was in the early 90's - and yes it was a contrived result though not in the finishing order I expected.

Farewell William Gordon Hamill aka Billy the Kid, The Bullet, you've left me with some heart stopping memorys in your time in British Speedway, I wish you well in your retiremrnt.

The grahame`s - well they tried and thats all i can say.

They are both in their mid 50's and have been retired for at least 10 years. None of the Wolves riders are that old and most were still riding a couple of years ago, what did you expect? I don't think either even had a bike a week ago.

Just want to echo everyone else in saying that yesterday was a wonderful day.

And as a Wolves fan, just seeing those Cradley race jackets brought back some wonderful memories. And I did feel genuinely sorry for all those fans from Cradley, decked out in their colors, some with faces painted to see their heroes one more (hopefully not last) time.

Lets hope that sometime soon, somewhere can be found for this great club to return. Their fans deserve it.

Farewell William Gordon Hamill aka Billy the Kid, The Bullet, you've left me with some heart stopping memorys in your time in British Speedway, I wish you well in your retiremrnt.

What a lovely sentiment - ditto! :)

Billy got the crowd he deserved. It was a great afternoon yesterday and seeing the Heathens race jacket back on track was the highlight. Although we lost on the track we definatly won on the terraces. :D

The only down side to the afternoon was that i missed the Fisher/Crumpy race as i was in the queue for a pork sandwich. :P

Does anybody know why Scott Nicholls wasn't racing??

Does anybody know why Scott Nicholls wasn't racing??

He's giving the UK a miss this year! :wink::wink:

Best races were Fisher Vs. Crump Vs. Kennett and Hancock Vs. Woffinden. Hancocks ride was, in particular, extremely superb. He made up so much ground on Woffinden and then executed a perfect pass, super stuff from the old man.

Wells really impressed me.

Couldnt agree more but don’t, what ever you do, use the word ‘old‘ in front of GH as apparently it's not in his vocabulary!!!!! Ricky is clearly a fast learner and this was another good step after not being too far off the pace at Sheffield last week - just needs the work permit now...

Great meeting with some spirited riding and all in all a fitting tribute to the legend that is ‘The Bullet’.

The top 5 was pretty much as I expected with Jason being kept honest throughout.

Great atmosphere. Enjoyed the war cries although I remember the rivalry being much more fierce 'back in the day'. Oh, and I really can’t believe I ended up supporting Cradley!

Thanks Billy and good luck to you and your family for the future..

Fully agree with the general comments of an enjoyable meeting.

The GP riders showed their class. Ricky Wells looks promising, improved with every race. I thought the last race of the Wolves v's Cradley was a bit odd. Sam and PK had a conversation on track before the race and I was sure they'd let Greg and Billy get a last 5-1 to tie up the meeting but in the end it was a bit of a let down as Billy was blocked out and came last.

Must say well done to Smoli who put in a good competitive showing despite being on borrowed machinery (Tobi Kroners bike and mechanic).

:) What a great afternoon i enjoyed it very much the banter between fans was great. This was my first visit to wolves, the pork sandwiches i enjoyed very much. Crump was fantastic, a great turn out of fans from allover but the highlight for me had to be the national anthems can you get them on a download for mobiles i wonder?

They are both in their mid 50's and have been retired for at least 10 years. None of the Wolves riders are that old and most were still riding a couple of years ago, what did you expect? I don't think either even had a bike a week ago.

thats PRECISLY what i expected hence why i made the comment!

It wasnt a derogatory comment so lighten up eh :rolleyes:

Quick thank you to fans of other clubs for comments about Cradley and its fans. Is there another club that could take such vocal numbers to a farewell after 12 years out of the sport?! How are we not back on track yet?!

Must say well done to Smoli who put in a good competitive showing despite being on borrowed machinery (Tobi Kroners bike and mechanic).

Indeed. I think it's fair to say that Tobi has no excuse not to get his act together now. Smoli jumped on his bike, rode well and scored respectably.

The last race was just a staged 'dance'. I am surprised Billy didn't come through for the flag though. He just wasn't bothered. I think he was probably under strict instructions not to do anything silly. :lol::P

I can't believe nobody has been on the phone to him in the last couple of seasons.

They probably have. I thought he didn't want to ride in England? :unsure:

The no show from Nicholls (BOO!)

So why didn't Scott show up? I hope he let them know beforehand.

Perhaps they have and perhaps he doesn't. If the right offer came along then who knows?! Perhaps he's waiting on a place with the Bees?

I'm trying to reserve judgement on Scotty, but it's not easy given the circumstance. The notice given was not sufficient for his name to be left out of the programme whereas Wayne Cater (due to ride for Wolves against Cradley) clearly had given enough notice as his name as replaced with a blank.

Quick thank you to fans of other clubs for comments about Cradley and its fans. Is there another club that could take such vocal numbers to a farewell after 12 years out of the sport?! How are we not back on track yet?!

Indeed. I think it's fair to say that Tobi has no excuse not to get his act together now. Smoli jumped on his bike, rode well and scored respectably.

The last race was just a staged 'dance'. I am surprised Billy didn't come through for the flag though. He just wasn't bothered. I think he was probably under strict instructions not to do anything silly. :lol::P

Billy was probably a bit nervous in the last one, one fall could have caused him problems.

It was a staged dance, but they were still going pretty quick and he just hadn't the pace to get there unless they'd have slowed quite dramatically at the end.

He was definately slower than the others (understandabley so) as evidenced when Correy outpaced him, and Sam after 2 laps of messing around made up 40 yards on him.

Correy... he would make a much better reserve than Mr Stichauer! At home anyway! :)