British Speedway Forum
Nij

Bjarne Pedersen Testimonial Thread - 18/03/09

As reported on the Poole Speedway news page, here, Bjarne Pedersen will stage his testimonial meeting at Wimborne Road on the 18 March 2009.

The meeting will feature a Poole Pirates team versus a team to represent Newcastle Diamonds, Bjarne's first club in the UK.

I am privileged to be serving on the organising committee and my first task is to start an “official” thread to keep people in touch with developments. Although the date is set, it is still very early days and there are lots of ideas and plans still in development.

Right now we are looking for people who would like to be involved with Bjarne by becoming sponsors to the event.

There are opportunities for Race and Rider Sponsors as well as fuel and programme sponsors or advertisers.

If you would like to know more please feel free to contact me by email to talkpirates@yahoo.com

You can also contact any of the other testimonial committee members, Gordon Day, Stan and Val Vatcher or David Adams.

Whatever happens put the date in your diary and come along to support a former Diamonds hero and current Pirates skipper.

Best wishes, Nij

I dont see why he's having one in 2009 he only signed for Poole in 2002 so he's only done 7 years, a testimonial is 10 years service to one promoter or team. There seems to be to many testimonials given out willy nilly these days. I dare say Bjarne would reach 10 years with Poole so why not wait?

I'm afraid I can't afford to be a sponsor but I'll be making every effort to get there.

Bjarne was impeccable in both his riding and behaviour as a Diamond.

I dont see why he's having one in 2009 he only signed for Poole in 2002 so he's only done 7 years, a testimonial is 10 years service to one promoter or team. There seems to be to many testimonials given out willy nilly these days. I dare say Bjarne would reach 10 years with Poole so why not wait?

Cos its 10 years of riding in britain!! 2 years at newcastle and will be his 8th season at poole in 09 so thats 10. Olly hasn't ridden for coventry for ten years either. In fact if we did it your way, very few riders would get a testimonial.

You're partly right LC. It's also to do with the fact that Bjarne didn't take some sort of financial payment that he was due when he left Newcastle to come to Poole. Seems that by foregoing it then, he's entitled to the testimonial now for his 10 years.

So be it fewer riders get testimonials, at least then they actually mean something then.

I feel that all those long serving riders who actually stayed on the books of one club it does them a great disservice. I mean big deal Bjarne's rode ten years in Britain so have hundereds of other riders and I don't agree that just because you don't take a slice of your transfer fee this means you have an unbroken service record. This would'nt happen in any other employment. The only time I think the rules should be relaxed is if your club closes down then it's not down to the rider in question then. IE Jesper Olsen rode for Wimbledon 91, Mildenhall, Glasgow, Middlesbrough before finally ending his jinx at Newcastle 97-02.

This is not a pop at Bjarne as I watched him start out at Newcastle 2000 and 2001 where he was superb more against the terms given to a testimonial. The term should be used for riders like Chris Louis, David Mullett, Les Collins, Steve Wilcock, Steve Lawson, Tomas Topinka. Sorry Bjarne your 3 years short yet.

Think you will find, if you ask for a transfer, you don't get a percentage of the fee, but if you don't ask for a transfer, you get 10%.

Think you will find, if you ask for a transfer, you don't get a percentage of the fee, but if you don't ask for a transfer, you get 10%.

The real key is if you accept the percentage of the fee. That is the crux. :approve: A rider can move, or be moved, as many times as they like but unless he takes his cut he is deemed to have continuous service. :approve:

:blink::blink:

With a bit of luck he may make enough to buy a rug :lol:

So be it fewer riders get testimonials, at least then they actually mean something then.

I feel that all those long serving riders who actually stayed on the books of one club it does them a great disservice. I mean big deal Bjarne's rode ten years in Britain so have hundereds of other riders and I don't agree that just because you don't take a slice of your transfer fee this means you have an unbroken service record. This would'nt happen in any other employment. The only time I think the rules should be relaxed is if your club closes down then it's not down to the rider in question then. IE Jesper Olsen rode for Wimbledon 91, Mildenhall, Glasgow, Middlesbrough before finally ending his jinx at Newcastle 97-02.

This is not a pop at Bjarne as I watched him start out at Newcastle 2000 and 2001 where he was superb more against the terms given to a testimonial. The term should be used for riders like Chris Louis, David Mullett, Les Collins, Steve Wilcock, Steve Lawson, Tomas Topinka. Sorry Bjarne your 3 years short yet.

Fair enough. At the same time though I can't think of many other riders who are more deserving than Bjarne...the testamonial is to celebrate his loyalty to British speedway. He rarely misses a meeting for Poole and didn't ask for an increase to ride here next year, consistently goes about his business quietly and raking in big points at the same time. There isn't many riders who can claim to have rode for just 2 clubs in Britain. I think it's quite fitting that Newcastle should be involved also.

I wonder if Nicki Pedersen and Kenneth Bjerre can be persuaded to race under the Diamonds banner for one more night?

Has he invited his mate, steve interesting davis down :P:D

As I read through this thread I became annoyed by the content. Bjarne has been a great servant to Newcastle/Poole Please just accept that he is entitled to a testimonial and lend the organisors your support

As I read through this thread I became annoyed by the content. Bjarne has been a great servant to Newcastle/Poole Please just accept that he is entitled to a testimonial and lend the organisors your support

Why is he ?

I have done 27 years service to my company and I work 50 hours a week for them, after 25 years I got a watch.

So a speedway rider of this level (and this is not a personal thing to Pedersen) takes an absolute fortune in points money out of a country which is not his home country, rides for numerous other clubs all over the world, not dedicated to just one employer and is then entitled to a testimonial which will net him what............£25k, probably more

Sorry, absolute garbage in todays world.

I say scrap testimonials, I am all for helping riders who suffer life changing injuries but this type of charity should stop immediately.