British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dabbsjoe

Idea For Sgp / World Final

I had a bit of spare time at work and started thinking about how to improve the competition that is the SGP however that spare half hour soon became a whole morning and the competition then become the whole national championships and GP qualifying rounds so here goes.......

Get rid of the whole SGP format for starters then in it's place select a whole week in the season (like is done for the SWC but towards the end of the season like end of August early September time), then choose a country this country will then hold the Speedway World Final of that year, however instead of a one of meeting or 11 meetings held over the season choose 3 or 4 different tracks in the chosen country and have them hold a meeting on the same format as the old world final (each rider has 5 rides and rides agianst everyone once) so that the World Final is then held over 4 legs in 1 country in 1 week (obviously chosen country will change from year to year) and highest total at the end of the 3 or 4 meetings is the World Champion.

This then led to my thoughts of qualifying for the event and brought back great memories of the Overseas Final at Coventry back in the day. Anyway the World Champion would automatically be entered into the Final for the next year so no need to qualify. Then obviously bring back the old format of the British Final and the top 7 from that then go to the overseas final with the top Americans and Aussies, then the Scandinavian final with the top 6 or 7 from the Danish Final, Swedish Final so on and so on, then the Intercontinental finals and top 6 or 7 from each go to the World Final. But then thought to give more importance to the British Final (same applies to Danish and Swedish and others) that the winner of the Final automatically qualifies for the World Final meaning that the further you go in the qualifying process the less places in the Final are available bringing more importance to do well in the competition.

Bit complicated but in my head it works fine

I had a bit of spare time at work and started thinking about how to improve the competition that is the SGP however that spare half hour soon became a whole morning and the competition then become the whole national championships and GP qualifying rounds so here goes.......

Get rid of the whole SGP format for starters then in it's place select a whole week in the season (like is done for the SWC but towards the end of the season like end of August early September time), then choose a country this country will then hold the Speedway World Final of that year, however instead of a one of meeting or 11 meetings held over the season choose 3 or 4 different tracks in the chosen country and have them hold a meeting on the same format as the old world final (each rider has 5 rides and rides agianst everyone once) so that the World Final is then held over 4 legs in 1 country in 1 week (obviously chosen country will change from year to year) and highest total at the end of the 3 or 4 meetings is the World Champion.

This then led to my thoughts of qualifying for the event and brought back great memories of the Overseas Final at Coventry back in the day. Anyway the World Champion would automatically be entered into the Final for the next year so no need to qualify. Then obviously bring back the old format of the British Final and the top 7 from that then go to the overseas final with the top Americans and Aussies, then the Scandinavian final with the top 6 or 7 from the Danish Final, Swedish Final so on and so on, then the Intercontinental finals and top 6 or 7 from each go to the World Final. But then thought to give more importance to the British Final (same applies to Danish and Swedish and others) that the winner of the Final automatically qualifies for the World Final meaning that the further you go in the qualifying process the less places in the Final are available bringing more importance to do well in the competition.

I think the present sgp 11 round series is ok, but needs some qualifiier before, scrap the practise, have one or two semi finals before, make the whole weekend a sgp event, keep the top eight through to the next gp, the qualifier or two semi can have the old 16 rider 20 heat format with the top eight going trough to the sgp or two semi, whatever, that way we won’t see the same old 16 riders, because there always an upset, shock exit or shock qualifier, then the main event will be more exciting as we will also be looking not at who’s going to win, but who’s staying in the top eight the next gp and who’s going to have to re qualify also give more riders a chance to break into the sgp exclusive club, don’r seed the world champion either, let him qualifer if he has to…..the present format is boring with the same old same old……

And breathe! :lol: I couldn't find a sentence to quote because it was rather a long one so I've just extracted this little bit to comment on.

make the whole weekend a sgp event.....

The problem with this idea is it would be too expensive for most fans who are already trying to cut out staying over in a hotel for the weekend so the attendance for the semi finals would be quite small wouldn't it? Or perhaps I have read your post wrongly? :unsure:

Would need some tweaking, but an awesome idea! :) Get a letter to BSI as soon as possible! .. They prbs wouldnt read it though, would they?! :rolleyes:

And breathe! :lol: I couldn't find a sentence to quote because it was rather a long one so I've just extracted this little bit to comment on.

The problem with this idea is it would be too expensive for most fans who are already trying to cut out staying over in a hotel for the weekend so the attendance for the semi finals would be quite small wouldn't it? Or perhaps I have read your post wrongly? :unsure:

you may be right about the expence, but then were not going next year as were now bored with it but come the weekend we may make the effort, it's just the first time since cardiff started we haven't bought tickets in advance

So basically instead of having 11 Gp's you have 4?

When will this one off World Final thing be dead and buried? It's deceased, it's an ex-parrot.

So basically instead of having 11 Gp's you have 4?

When will this one off World Final thing be dead and buried? It's deceased, it's an ex-parrot.

Give it a few years and the World Final will be back. The world recession will kill off the GP series.

All the best

Rob

Give it a few years and the World Final will be back. The world recession will kill off the GP series.

All the best

Rob

You are absolutely spot on Rob.

What makes me laugh are all those people who say, the GPs are here to stay/the play-offs are here to stay/the sudden-death races at the end of a top indiv. meeting are here to stay etc.

If this laissez faire attitude really did exist then surely the old World Final would never have been replaced by the GPs in the first place... :blink:

Things DO change.

The sudden death final race was brought into the closest thing we have now to a proper World Championship, the U-21 World Final - delivered a largely-seen-as-unfair result and was scrapped.

The Premier League title last year was NOT decided by a play-off and won't be again in '09; so that (also unfair) system has been scrapped in Britain's largest league.

So tell me again, that these things when brought in are "here to stay"...!!!!! :rolleyes:

The sooner we end the closed shop that is the GP system and bring back excitement and meritocracy to a truly open World Championship then the sooner we halt the currently terminal decline in the sport...

For it's those who merely repeat the mantra that the "GPs are here to stay" who have no vision for the future of the sport NOT those who support the return to a proper World Championship....

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

All the best

Rob

Ya talking rubbish.

You are absolutely spot on Rob.

What makes me laugh are all those people who say, the GPs are here to stay/the play-offs are here to stay/the sudden-death races at the end of a top indiv. meeting are here to stay etc.

If this laissez faire attitude really did exist then surely the old World Final would never have been replaced by the GPs in the first place... :blink:

Things DO change.

The sudden death final race was brought into the closest thing we have now to a proper World Championship, the U-21 World Final - delivered a largely-seen-as-unfair result and was scrapped.

The Premier League title last year was NOT decided by a play-off and won't be again in '09; so that (also unfair) system has been scrapped in Britain's largest league.

So tell me again, that these things when brought in are "here to stay"...!!!!! :rolleyes:

The sooner we end the closed shop that is the GP system and bring back excitement and meritocracy to a truly open World Championship then the sooner we halt the currently terminal decline in the sport...

For it's those who merely repeat the mantra that the "GPs are here to stay" who have no vision for the future of the sport NOT those who support the return to a proper World Championship....

Maybe you should of asked for a brain for xmas. I expect you also wish for a return to gas lamps and such :blink:

Ya talking rubbish.

But Humphrey Appleby has already provided a link that showed that BSI wasn't exactly flourishing. And this was before Gelsenkirhcen and the financial impact that will have, while the weak pound will deter British fans travelling outside their country for the next few years.

And the probable collapse of the Russian League, plus problems for the Polish and Swedish Leagues, added to the desertion of the top stars from Britain, will mean the GP stars will be wanting much more for their GP appearances.

It's a worrying time for the GP series, along with speedway at all levels.

EDIT: Please don't think I share ALL the views of Parsloes, though. :wink:

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

But Humphrey Appleby has already provided a link that showed that BSI wasn't exactly flourishing. And this was before Gelsenkirhcen and the financial impact that will have, while the weak pound will deter British fans travelling outside their country for the next few years.

And the probable collapse of the Russian League, plus problems for the Polish and Swedish Leagues, added to the desertion of the top stars from Britain, will mean the GP stars will be wanting much more for their GP appearances.

It's a worrying time for the GP series, along with speedway at all levels.

EDIT: Please don't think I share ALL the views of Parsloes, though. :wink:

All the best

Rob

Yes times will be hard for everyone in 09 but the gp in one form or another will stay. the old one off will not return.

We have pretty much decided to pull out of speedway in 09 completly but not because i dont believe in the gp .

Yes times will be hard for everyone in 09 but the gp in one form or another will stay. the old one off will not return.

I realise it's largely wishful thinking on my behalf.

I'd like to see the GP series scaled back a bit, though. Now that it's 11 rounds, it's too become a tad too predictable and makes it less likely to have a close finish overall. I think a return to 6 rounds and only one GP per country would help. It would make the meetings more unique and special - at the moment there are ten-a-penny. And two-bob venues such as bloody awful Vojens should be avoided.

All the best

Rob

Maybe you should of asked for a brain for xmas. I expect you also wish for a return to gas lamps and such :blink:

And you need to learn how to read!!! :rolleyes:

Exactly why is it that you can claim universal right to saying that progress only lies with one idea (the GPs) whilst others are considered living in the past with another idea (a season-long competition of qualifiers, culminating in a one night Final )..?

As I pointed out in my earlier thread, there are many examples of change in Speedway history (one being from the World Final to the GP) and many examples later of either changing back or changing to another idea or format.

There's a kind of fascism among some supporters of the GP system which forbids any others an alternative view.. And it does you no credit....