British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gemini

Black/White photos. World Finals Wembley 1981/USA 1982 etc..

1982 final - Rider number 3, inside no 12 (??) and 13 (Penhall) is Mikael Starostin. I know this, because he's got his name on his bum. Throughout the commentry Dave Lanning keeps referring to him, saying he had to borrow a pair of boots to ride in the final.

While on the subject of IDing 80s riders, can anyone identify the riders in this here photo from Motorcycle News a few years back? Not sure why, but I think it's Lance King on the inside.

That was pretty easy then grachan! :lol: Rider number 12 is Jiri Stancl father of George.

Can't believe that commentators would keep repeating themselves years ago - thought this was just Tony Millard. :D

While on the subject of IDing 80s riders, can anyone identify the riders in this here photo from Motorcycle News a few years back? Not sure why, but I think it's Lance King on the inside.

Lance King (y/B), Dennis Sigalos (white), Simon Wigg (blue) Morton or Davis (red)

probably wrong though...

oh are we supposed to guess the rider in the b&w pics????

pic 18...starostin, pc, jancarz, crump

pic 19... carter, nielsen, sigalos, stancl

by the way...if we want to get back onto a handlebars thread, something i said in a previous one about Egon Muller's bars is proved correct in picture 23.

someone said he had the same handlebars as everyone but just turned them up further.... i said he had his own shape and were used on his longtrack bikes too... just check the picture :approve:

Lance King (y/B), Dennis Sigalos (white), Simon Wigg (blue) Morton or Davis (red)

probably wrong though...

Probably right Steve. Given a choice of Davis or Morton I'd go for Morton in Red I think.

Probably wrong though...

pic 18...starostin, pc, jancarz, crump

pic 19... carter, nielsen, sigalos, stancl

Correct Steve, except it's Les Collins in pic. 18 not Peter. :)

i used to recognise riders by the leathers and they looked like PC's....never mind... and i was there too!!!

should have guessed really as PC only scored about 4 or 5 points...

pic 41 looks like Jessup

is it Simmo in white in pic 43?

picture 47... possibly Bo Petersen (he looks tall) in front of John Davis

48 is Doug Wyer (going by the tassles on the leathers)

49 looks like a Leicester rider going by the jersey (red with yellow stripes)

51 is Puff Daddy ;)

pic 41 looks like Jessup. Correct.

is it Simmo in white in pic 43? No.

picture 47... possibly Bo Petersen (he looks tall) in front of John Davis Yes, but don't know about John Davis.

48 is Doug Wyer (going by the tassles on the leathers) Yes.

49 looks like a Leicester rider going by the jersey (red with yellow stripes) Yes, but who? :lol:

51 is Puff Daddy ;) If you mean Bruce Penhall, then Yes. :P

picture 47... possibly Bo Petersen (he looks tall) in front of John Davis Yes, but don't know about John Davis

just check out those awful 'silver armed' leathers Mavis is wearing...

(and the Reading race jacket)

49 looks like a Leicester rider going by the jersey (red with yellow stripes) Yes, but who?

Colin Cook????

is it Simmo in white in pic 43? No

Colin Richardson???

Sigalos-Peter Collins-Wigg-King.

England v USA, 2nd Test, Swindon, 1983, 58-50.

The powers of my anorak are particularly strong on this one, cos it was the first speedway video I ever owned and I watched it endlessly. It was a betamax too.:oops:

Sigalos-Peter Collins-Wigg-King.

England v USA, 2nd Test, Swindon, 1983, 58-50.

The powers of my anorak are particularly strong on this one, cos it was the first speedway video I ever owned and I watched it endlessly. It was a betamax too.:oops:

Nice one Falcace! I guess Chris Morton is closer than John Davis then. Ah, Betamax videos. I had loads of them. First meeting I had was the re-run of the 1981 final off World of Sport (never, said Dickie Davis, have they had so many requests before for an event to be re-shown).

My Dad still has the old Betamax somewhere - complete with its clunky eject facility out of the top of the machine. I swear it will be worth something one day. :D