British Speedway Forum
barneys barnstormers

Closed Tracks (where)

So far the following tracks have not appeared in this topic; Ellesmere Port, Bradford(Greenfields ),Tamworth, Cardiff Crewe,Wombwell, Wigan(2),Barrow (2), Exeter ( Alphington), Neath. Can anyone fill us in?

So far the following tracks have not appeared in this topic; Ellesmere Port, Bradford(Greenfields ),Tamworth, Cardiff Crewe,Wombwell, Wigan(2),Barrow (2), Exeter ( Alphington), Neath. Can anyone fill us in?

Ellesmere Port still stands, visible just to the west of the elevated M53

Details of Barrow are at

http://home.clara.net/barrowfan/Tracks.htm

Wombwell :

Speedway racing took place at the South Yorkshire Sports Stadium. Wombwell entered a team in the 1930 Northern League. The sport was revived and operated in 1947 and 1948 when the Colliers raced in the National League Third Division. South Yorkshire Sports Stadium was redeveloped and is now the site of an industrial estate.

Wombwell Sports Stadium (formerly the Dorothy Hyman Sports Stadium), which is close to the site of the South Yorkshire Sports Stadium is now the home of the South Yorkshire Kart Club, an MSA affiliated Kart racing club and also Wombwell R/C Model Car Club, a BRCA affiliated Radio Control car racing club. Wombwell FC share the same venue and part of the kart track runs parallel to and the length of the football pitch.

Edited by Midland Red

Ellesmere Port still stands, visible just to the west of the elevated M53

And here it is

Yes, Ellesmere Port stadium is still there, although the speedway track has been replaced by a greyhound track which is also used for Afgan dog exercise once a month !

Unfortunately the pits area on the third bend was demolished early last year but the two stands still remain on the home and back straights.

There are rumours in the local press that the council are considering selling the land to make a new housing development - looks like Thornton Road Stadium could soon disappear once the economy improves.

I would be interested to know what happened to the Abbey Stadium in Neath- I know they only ran one year- in 1962- and finished 2nd in Prov Lge. to Poole. I'll never know what made Trevor Redmond pick Neath for a track. Any forumlanders out there ever visit it, if so what are your memories. BTW my prediction on this is that no-one reading this ever went there-b/c a) its a long time ago and B) there were never many spectators. But perhaps someone knew someone who knew someone who went there or even who rode there??(Friends of Charlie Monk, Jon Erskine etc please come forward!!)

Any forumlanders out there ever visit it, if so what are your memories.

Yes, I've been to Neath. Must have been in 1962 then and I would have been 22 but I don't remember a single thing about the place.

They do say as you get older you can recall things from years ago but sadly in my case the first has happened but not the second. :neutral:

During WW2 Exeter briefly rode on what is now Marsh Barton trading estate, as the County Ground was in the hands of the military in some capacity. The actual track was located app where Rawle Gammon and Bakers are situated , so my pops tells me ! Edited by phlipphlop

I just saw your quote about New Cross. Had no idea (still haven't) who the Blue Sox were and what they were playing Castleford at.Thought it might have been some South London team called the Blue Sox. Still the info might be usefull :wink:

I agree it was confusin'!! I WAS talking about New Cross but HT replied talking about Castleford... :blink:

The 'Blue Sox', fairly amazingly, is the totally daft American-style moniker bestowed on Halifax RLFC in the modern Super League era of Rugby League..!! :shock:

My team (well I married into it all! :rolleyes: ) Widnes - though disgracefully excluded from the Super League - have the far more suitable nickname of 'Vikings' Though I still say, 'Up the Chemics'!!! :approve:

I would be interested to know what happened to the Abbey Stadium in Neath- I know they only ran one year- in 1962- and finished 2nd in Prov Lge. to Poole. I'll never know what made Trevor Redmond pick Neath for a track. Any forumlanders out there ever visit it, if so what are your memories. BTW my prediction on this is that no-one reading this ever went there-b/c a) its a long time ago and B) there were never many spectators. But perhaps someone knew someone who knew someone who went there or even who rode there??(Friends of Charlie Monk, Jon Erskine etc please come forward!!)

Where the stadium was is now an industrial estate with a big car sales place (which was Ken Throne). It is right next to the A365.

Yes I have been to the former site of Somerton Park-it is so depressing to recall what used to be there and all the excitement the events created-all gone!!

...and the Carmarthen track at the Showground is still there and used for tractor pullls several times a year ---and no sign of the hotel development that was given as an excuse for not allowing speedway to continue there.

I know that Dean Felton went down there last year and drove his car around the track "for old times sake!!".

What a waste!! :mad:

Edited by Main Man

There's a pretty good view of the circuit at Long Eaton on Google maps but perhaps the most surprising one is Hastings. To a degree, you can still see the track and its been closed for 50 years and more !!