British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Mystery Men Retro Photos

Sorry Jim, I am 100% sure that it is Henryk Zyto is on the right. You could well be right about Kapala, though. I wasn't sure whether that was Polukard or Kapala...

Steve

Yes your right Steve. It is in fact Mike Polukard on the left and Henryk Zyto on the right. Going by the shale on Zyto and the fact that Polukard is 'clean' it must be from the 1960 World Final at Wembley, with Polukard being a reserve and not riding. I have been down to the garage and checked in the Speedway Star for the world final edition in 1960.

I must have been thinking of the final in 1959 when Kapala was a reserve, and did not ride and Polukard did. Sorry - another senior moment.:oops:

Now, I have brought a few SS’s up to the warmth of the house and I am going to check and see who else I can recognise. Lets face it I am assuming that all these that Tony are showing us are by Alf Weedon and most but not all would have been in the Speedway Star at some time. :approve:

(Tony if at all possible I would like a copy of the photo of Peter Craven holding the Tom Farndon memorial trophies complete in New Cross race jacket. Its on the back page on the SS dated October the 10th 1959. Also - I have mentioned in the past a copy of the photo including several riders and yours truly watching the races at the ‘63 Wembley final from the dog track. The issue is: December the 14th 1963 on page 11. Appreciate it may take a bit of time knowing Alf's filing system. :blink:)

Edit: It looks like I may have another one or two wrong.

Practising at Wembley 1; I'm sure now is Pawel Walosek.

Belle Vue Unknown leading Fundin @ Norwich. Most likely Derek 'Tink' Maynard, but surely its at Hyde Road anyway?

Leceister 2 is Jack Geran. (It was those Mattingley trombone front forks that threw me....)

Confirmed correct: Coventry (10) V. Oxford. McKinlay and Biggs. Picture in SS.

Unknown 14. Most likely will be Per Tag Svensson. Going by the face mask, boots etc - in a different photo in the SS. (I did only guess at Bryan Elliott....)

Rye House (Red Devils) 3: Picture in SS says Roy Trigg.

Coventry 11 V. Oxford: Confirmed John Bishop and Ken McKinlay. Picture in SS.

Southampton (2) Confirmed as Cyril Roger and Ronnie Genze. Picture in SS.

Uknown 6: Confirmed as Ron Bagley. Picture in SS.

I'll think I will go for a lay down now...

Edited by Jim Blanchard

(Tony if at all possible I would like a copy of the photo of Peter Craven holding the Tom Farndon memorial trophies complete in New Cross race jacket. Its on the back page on the SS dated October the 10th 1959. Also - I have mentioned in the past a copy of the photo including several riders and yours truly watching the races at the ‘63 Wembley final from the dog track. The issue is: December the 14th 1963 on page 11. Appreciate it may take a bit of time knowing Alf's filing system. :blink:)

Jim,

Good research work, many thanks. I still haven't come across the two pics you mention above, though if I do I will, of course, let you know.

We do definitely have one pic of Craven (alongside Bjorn Knutson in the pits) in New Cross colours. I'll upload it to the site, along with some other NX pics, as soon as the NX 'body colour' logo and the others from the earlier era have been drawn for us.

Cheers.

More confirmations and comments received via email...

Chris Sweetman, son of former Hackney, Wolves & Exeter rider Tommy, kindly emailed us the following suggestions from NZ. His views contrast with some previous opinions on here, so see how many you agree with...

Page 1

Belle Vue Unknown ­ Its Jack Parker leading Barry Briggs ­ Not Fundin

Birmingham (1) ­ Georgie White

Birmingham (2) ­ Ronnie Moore and Georgie White

Brits (1) ­ On the right ­ Ron Mountford. I think its Eric French on the left?

Canterbury (1) ­ Martyn Piddock

Cardiff (1) ­ Mick Holland from New Zealand

Coventry (1) ­ Outside Les Owen, inside Ken McKinlay

Page 2

Coventry (10) v Oxford ­ outside Ken McKinlay inside Jack Biggs

Coventry (11) ­ outside Colin Goody inside Ken McKinlay

Coventry (6) Ron Mountford leads martin Ashby

Coventry (9) ­ Yes, Bob Mark

Cradley Heath (10) ­ Ian Ross

Cradley (4) ­ Roy Trigg

Cradley (5) ­ Ian Ross

Cradley Heath lead ­ R to L ­ Bob Andrews, Chris Julian, Ted Leassing, Bill Andrew

Page 3

Craven leads ­ Dick fisher

Crayford (1) ­ Chris Harrison

Exeter (1) ­ Hugh Geddes

Exeter (2) ­ Mike Cake

Glasgow unknowns ­ outside Willie Templeton, inside Alf wells

Hackney (2) ­ Gary Everett

Hackney (3) ­ Des Lukehurst

Hackney (5) ­ Jack Biggs

Hackney (6) ­ Jack Biggs

Halifax (2) ­ Greg Kentwell

Page 4

Harringay (2) ­ might be Buster Brown guesting for Harringay as he rode for Wembley

Ipswich (2) ­ Harry Edwards

Ipswich (4) ­ harry Edwards

Leicester (2) ­ Jack Geran

Leicester (3) ­ R to L ­ Cyril Roger, unknown, ken McKinlay

Page 5

Leicester (4) R to L ­ Ken McKinlay, unknown, Cyril Roger

New Cross (2) ­ Bobby Croombs

Newcastle (1) ­ Rider ­ Peter Kelly, others unknown

Newcastle (2) ­ Brian Craven

Newcastle (3) ­ Brian Craven

Norwich (1) ­ Gerry King ­ Wimbledon NOT Norwich

Norwich or Wimbledon (2) ­ Inside Ron How, outside Cyril Brine ­ both Wimbledon

Page 6

Oxford (5) ­ front Jon Erskine, chasing unknown

Oxford (7) R to Left ­ Barry Briggs, unknown, Clive Hitch

Poland (1) left henry Zyto, other unknown (World Final photo)

Poole (5) v Oxford ­ R to L ­ Colin Pratt, Norman Strachan, unknown, Geoff Mudge ­ Poole v Hackney

Rayleigh (1) ­ Derek Strutt

Rayleigh (2) ­ Frank Bettis

Page 7

Russia (4) ­ Boris Samaradov

Russia (5) - Boris Samaradov

Rye House v Oxford ­ Mike Keen (RH) leads Eddie Reeves (Oxford)

Rye House (Red Devil) 2 ­ Vic Ridgeon

Rye House (Red Devils) unknown ­ R to L ­ Derek Timms, Colin Pratt, Roy Trigg

Sheffield (1) ­ John Dews

Sheffield v Belle Vue unknown ­ R to L ­ Billy Bales (Sheff) Jim Yacoby (BV) Nils Paulson (Sheff)

Page 8

Southampton (2) Bob Roger leads Ronnie Moore

Southampton (3) v Sweden ­ No British Match Race Challenge ­ outside Fundin, inside Bob Roger

Southampton (4) inside Chum Taylor, outside Bob Duckworth

Southampton v Norwich ­ No v Wimbledon ­ R to L Ronnie Moore, Bjorn Knutsson, Bob Roger

Southampton v BV unknowns ­ R to L ­ Ron Johnson, unknown, Barry Briggs

Swindon (1) guy in the middle is Bob Jones, others?

Swindon (3) ­ outside martin Ashby, inside Mike Keen

Swindon (4) v Oxford R to L ­ Barry Briggs, Eddie Reeves, Clive Hitch

Page 9

Unknown Cradley Heath (7) ­ Bob Andrews

Unknown (10) ­ is NOT Graham Warren

Unknown 5 ­ Eric Boothroyd ­ Middlesborough

Unknown Rye House ­ Sandor Levi

Page 10

Unknown Officials ­ left ­ Nils Ringblom (Sweden), middle Don Clarke (Sunday Pictorial) right unknown

Unknown on Tractor ­ Ron Mountford

Unknown steps out of car ­ Jim Tebby (Wimbledon)

Unknown v Oxford ­ Les Owen (Coventry) Colin Goody (Oxford)

Unknown WC Round ­ Semi Final British Championship at Southampton about 1962 ­ R to L ­ Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven, Barry Briggs, Bob Andrews ­ Heat One.

Unknowns (3) ­ Ernie Baker (Wolverhampton)

Unknown action ­ R to L ­ Mike Broadbank, Barry Briggs, Cyril Roger

Page 11

Unknown ­ Yes Jan Holub

Wembley (2) ­ Tommy Price

West Ham (2) ­ yes Terry Betts

West Ham (3) v Booey of Coventry ­ R to L ­ Norman hunter, Booey, Ken McKinlay

Wimbledon (2) ­ Yes Reg Luckhurst

Wolves (2) ­ Graham Warren

Wolves (3) ­ Midland Riders Championship 1963 at Wolverhampton. ­ R to L ­ Tom Sweetman (2nd) Peter Jarman (1st) Kid Bodie / Howard Cole (3rd)

World team Cup Final ­ in the middle Nigel Boocock for GB, others unknown.

And some more suggestions via email...

Belle Vue (1)

This is Cyril Maidment. Looks like it was taken at Sheffield; same meeting as the Sheffield Belle Vue Photo below

Belle Vue unkown leading Fundin at Norwich.

Not a typical pose but the face mask and boots lead me to believe this is Ron Johnston.

I doubt very much this Peter Williams; I never saw him ride or photographed without trademark white socks folded over the top of his boots

Canterbury v Belle Vue Colts 68-1

Almost certain this is John Woodcock. I dont know if it is at the league meeting or challenge match that year. Doubt if is was any of the other riders who rode in white in these meetings

Peter Craven leading Belle Vue unknown

I agree with others it is Gote Nordin

Sheffield v Belle Vue

I believe Y/B is Cyril Maidment as above. And white is Dick Fisher. I believe it is 1965. Sheffield rider outside is John Dews. If I am right about the other 3 then the fourth man can only be Tommy Roper April 15th. Or Billy Bales 1st July. My guess is Tommy Roper

Southampton (6) v Belle Vue

I am certain Maurice Payling is in the centre, probably yellow; the positioning of the left leg is a dead give away.

Ron Johnston is inside, white; I have seen similar pictures of him, particularly the boots and face mask (same as when leading Fundin above).

These 2 riders rode quite a lot as a pair in the late 50's

Rayleigh (7) v Belle Vue Colts 68-1 and Rayleigh (9) v Belle Vue Colts 1

I believe White to be Ken Moss. And (Y/B) to be Ken Eyre. I am almost certain is taken at a challenge match Saturday 15th June 1968. They rode at 1 and 2in that match

Exeter (2)

Chris Sweetman suggests Mike Cake (see previous post), but Jock Davidson reckons Phil Woodcock.

Hackney (Junior) 8

Anyone agree with me that it's former Wick and Rye House 2nd-halver from the mid-70s, John Waldrab?

Thanks again to all for their help...even if we are now getting many conflicting views!!!!

Brits (1) I am sure the guy with Ron Mountford is Bert Edwards rather than Eric French.

Isn't the Kings Lynn rider Kelvin Mullarkey - younger, all cleaned up and hair combed ?

No, definitely not.

It must be a King's Lynn youngster, who rode second halves in that 1974 season but didn't make an official team appearance.

No, definitely not.

It must be a King's Lynn youngster, who rode second halves in that 1974 season but didn't make an official team appearance.

Wow - I could have sworn it was him.. but perhaps it's either Brian Paddington or Brian Emery ?

Cradley (8) 76-1 - I'm pretty sure that it's Steve Bastable as I have a photo of him from the following year in the same leathers which are red and yellow

think you are right especially with Slade Steel as the sponsors on the arms of the leathers

had great fun looking at these,here,s the measly 2 i got

Hackney Junior 8 John Waldrab

Crayford 2 Keith Thomas

Keith was a junior who lived in Chingford,and was a regular at Mildenhall training school and done 2nd halves there.

Chris Sweetman, son of former Hackney, Wolves & Exeter rider Tommy, kindly emailed us the following suggestions from NZ. His views contrast with some previous opinions on here, so see how many you agree with..

Page 1

Birmingham (1) ­ Georgie White

Birmingham (2) ­ Ronnie Moore and Georgie White

Long time Birmingham fan and journalist John Chaplin has confirmed that Birmingham (1) & (2) is Peter Craven. (2 with Ronnie Moore - Wimbledon). Also there is a team photo of Birmingham including Peter Craven in the Speedway Star digest 'International Edition' 1961 page 10.

I must have been thinking of the final in 1959 when Kapala was a reserve, and did not ride and Polukard did. Sorry - another senior moment.

Jim....Whilst you are thinking of the 1959 final do you know who won that year please?

I've been sorting through some 50 year old newspaper cuttings; keeping some and throwing others away. In one of them it says that Ove came second but it didn't mention who was World Champion or who came 3rd. I'm pretty sure you will know with your good knowledge of speedway.

Jim....Whilst you are thinking of the 1959 final do you know who won that year please?

I've been sorting through some 50 year old newspaper cuttings; keeping some and throwing others away. In one of them it says that Ove came second but it didn't mention who was World Champion or who came 3rd. I'm pretty sure you will know with your good knowledge of speedway.

It was the one and only Ronnie Moore! Full stats :

Ronnie Moore 15

Ove Fundin 13

Barry Briggs 11

Olle Nygren 11

Aub Lawson 11

Brian Crutcher 10

Arne Carlsson 8

Peter Craven 7

George White 7

Geoff Mardon 6

Rune Sormander 6